Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels18

Khem Birch left UNLV for lack of development

Surprise, surprise, yet another player throws a jab at Dave Rice, citing that players at UNLV we're not developing/getting better under the current coaching staff's tutelage. First Morant, than BDJ, now Khem Birch have all publicly alluded to the fact that players just don't get better under Dave Rice and the UNLV coaching staff.

Everyone said Birch left for foolish NBA aspirations, because everyone knew he wasn't ready to be drafted. He left because he didn't want to waste another year at UNLV knowing he wouldn't get better if he stayed.

“No disrespect to coach Rice, but over there I was just going to be the same player I was my junior year as a senior,” Birch said. “I came down here to get better and that’s what I’m doing."

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2014/dec/16/still-unlv-fan-birch-feels-himself-getting-better-/

Dave Rice is a nice guy, and players like him enough. But they don't truly respect his coaching acumen. But in the business that is college athletics, he is just not cutting it at this level.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

he's killing it in the d-league (as he should)

he was real close to being called up, i think he has a chance to make a roster this year or next year and fulfill his dream of being an nba'er. i'm happy for the kid. 

Roscoe Smith has looked WAY better since joining D-League, showing offensive game that no one knew he even had when he was with UNLV.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

fwiw (and i don't think rice can develop talent but a lot of that falls on the entire staff) i don't think it was a dig at rice. i think he's just saying that his would've been role at unlv would not have developed the skills that he needed to get the nba.

of course he's getting better guidance in the d-league. he knows what he needs to work on and has a set plan to make an nba roster. at unlv his plan would've been to make the team better, not develop himself as a player. 

From the "player improvement & defensive standpoint" - There's not a coach on the staff who's shown much.

Augmon could leave & I doubt anyone would notice any difference............except Rebel-Net would have a meltdown.

Max Good, not sure what he brings or has brought.

It's a Rebel-Net love fest of a coaching staff but the results sure haven't lived up to the recruiting or what this staff is selling to recruits.

Though, I will give some benefit of the doubt to Rice & staff - there's been a ton of turnover since he arrived.........this needs to stop & if/when it does, then we might see if they can develop talent

I'm not trying to defend Rice, so don't get your panties in a wad 18, but there was more to the quote from Birch:

“You’ve got to win games. Me shooting 3s and me shooting mid-range shots is not going to win at UNLV, and I understood that,” Birch said. “I still love UNLV and I still love coach Rice, it’s just right now I needed to do that for my development.”

He was saying UNLV was expecting him to play post exclusively (duh), and he felt he needed more from a player development standpoint. He needed outside shooting. Now if Rice had recruited more bigs, which would've allowed Birch to have more opportunity to float out and show what he could do, maybe Birch would've stayed.

I'm not trying to defend Rice, so don't get your panties in a wad 18, but there was more to the quote from Birch:

“You’ve got to win games. Me shooting 3s and me shooting mid-range shots is not going to win at UNLV, and I understood that,” Birch said. “I still love UNLV and I still love coach Rice, it’s just right now I needed to do that for my development.”

He was saying UNLV was expecting him to play post exclusively (duh), and he felt he needed more from a player development standpoint. He needed outside shooting. Now if Rice had recruited more bigs, which would've allowed Birch to have more opportunity to float out and show what he could do, maybe Birch would've stayed.

Birch is also playing against better competition & defenses than he would have seen in the MWC..........not to mention he's playing an NBA style now also, which leads to more isolation matchups

LOL come on 18 you're smarter than that.

Birch measured 6'7.5" without shoes... Alot of NBA SF's are taller than that.

He knew if he'd stay at UNLV that he'd have the exact same role with not much of an expansion.

That's all it meant.

The sad thing is that it's mostly about personal goals now. NBA timelines. Not about the team and school.

That's why guys like Doolin are rare breeds. Maybe because he know he's playing at the highest level he ever will be, but it's all about this team.

It's not the Anthony Davis' and Kyrie Irving of the worlds that are the problem. It's these borderline 2nd rounders and NBA D League guys that leave school early that make it bad.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Rice really hasn't shown that he can do much of anything right as a coach other than recruit.

Rice was hired as a novice HC and surrounded himself with a more experienced staff.  You're doing the same thing with your football. 

Rice was hired as a novice HC and surrounded himself with a more experienced staff.  You're doing the same thing with your football. 

IMO Rice's problems are much deeper than just experience. I don't think he is a very good motivator or teacher and so guys just never really "buy in." From what I'ev heard about Sanchez, he is much more of a charismatic leader than Rice.

I don't see it as a fair comparison, Rice may have coached as an assistant at the college level but he was never the head coach. Sanchez has many years running the ship even if it is at the high school level. Sanchez also isn't some hands folded looking up at the lights for answers guy either, he's get in your face and motivate you to run through a Mack Truck kind of guy. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

full_of_win.jpg

As a charter member of the SDRC (Save Dave Rice Club), I hereby proclaim ST bringing context FTW.

It wasn't a dig on CLC. Khem even went out of his way to mitigate the risk of misunderstanding. In fact, you really, really have to want to read something into it to get that out of it IMO. The full context of the quote really made it quite clear.

Still feel your pain R18... just think you're off base with this one.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Reggie18 sounds like the information minister for Saddam Hussein. Just cherry pick the quote twist the meaning and ignore the rest. I know, it fits the agenda better like that and it's been slow having opportunities to trash Rice lately. Don't fret the UNLV bad news cycle is about to pick up.

full_of_win.jpg

As a charter member of the SDRC (Save Dave Rice Club), I hereby proclaim ST bringing context FTW.

It wasn't a dig on CLC. Khem even went out of his way to mitigate the risk of misunderstanding. In fact, you really, really have to want to read something into it to get that out of it IMO. The full context of the quote really made it quite clear.

Still feel your pain R18... just think you're off base with this one.

Agreed. Classic example of media using part of a larger quote at the top of a story and then providing the follow up context quote at the end, even though the two things were said, and meant to be said, together.

Also....hello? Self-justification? Not many people disagree with a decision they made less than a year earlier. He already talked himself into it a long time ago.