Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

Most overrated player in the MWC this year?

The national news media is chalking up the Boise QB situation as immaterial because all Boise does is win, and win with good QB play. That is the kind of treatment usually reserved for traditional powers like Bama and USC.

So with that said, I'll say whichever QB wins the job (Southwick) is overrated.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

Fajardo didn't actually play against your entire schedule did he though?

Common opponents...

UNM

Smith - 23-38 212 1td - 12 for 140 2td

Fajardo - 20-25 203 1int - 13 for 86 2td

UNLV

Smith - 10-19 96 2td - 10 for 59

Fajardo - 11-15 93 2int - 9 for 40

BSU

Smith - 17-25 78 1td 1int - 6 for 37

Fajardo - DNP

USU

Smith - 28-46 265 1int - 10 for -4 1td

Fajardo - 19-25 180 - 10 for 45

Now please stop making me defend Brett Smith.

What you can't see from stats is that Fajardo wasn't named the starter until the Fresno game?? He played in bits and pieces of the other games until that game. He also rolled his ankle in the USU game, which is why he missed most of the rest of the season.

I will agree that he does get a lot of pub, in large part though because he's an very accurate passer AND athletic and typically you don't get both in young QB. I personally think he's gonna be much better than last year because he's had a year in the system, and it's now molded to fit his skill set. You'll see many more short passes to the TEs and less read-option.

Fajardo didn't actually play against your entire schedule did he though?

Common opponents...

UNM

Smith - 23-38 212 1td - 12 for 140 2td

Fajardo - 20-25 203 1int - 13 for 86 2td

UNLV

Smith - 10-19 96 2td - 10 for 59

Fajardo - 11-15 93 2int - 9 for 40

BSU

Smith - 17-25 78 1td 1int - 6 for 37

Fajardo - DNP

USU

Smith - 28-46 265 1int - 10 for -4 1td

Fajardo - 19-25 180 - 10 for 45

Now please stop making me defend Brett Smith.

In the bowl game against a ranked opponent, #21 Southern Miss, Cody played really good football. How did Smith fare against ranked opponents?

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

Fajardo, easily. He racked up a ton of Stats against tomato cans and did jack against teams with a pulse, and he's supposed to be some QB to fear that will challenge for all conference?

I disagree here. He may be overrated, but he racked up yards no matter what team he played. Grant it he did lousy in the bowl game. But same arguments could be said for smith who i think is overrated also. Cody was playing under a 2 quarterback system which is very tough too.

I disagree here. He may be overrated, but he racked up yards no matter what team he played. Grant it he did lousy in the bowl game. But same arguments could be said for smith who i think is overrated also. Cody was playing under a 2 quarterback system which is very tough too.

Just to point this out, Smith played with his throwing arm injured for the second half of the season, he had to have surgery done on it after the bowl game.

But it was more about the inability of the defense to stop the run that hurt us so much last year.

That is a definate fear. Hopefully he breaks the soph slump trend but I doubt it.

Thing with Smith is that the dude played the second half of last season with what was essentially a dying thumb on his throwing hand.

The other thing is that most Wyoming fans still have vivid memories of Austin Carta-Samuels' sophomore season, which makes it easy to temper expectations for Smith this season.

Thing with Smith is that the dude played the second half of last season with what was essentially a dying thumb on his throwing hand.

The other thing is that most Wyoming fans still have vivid memories of Austin Carta-Samuels' sophomore season, which makes it easy to temper expectations for Smith this season.

I just don't want to get my hopes up and have a huge let down.

In the bowl game against a ranked opponent, #21 Southern Miss, Cody played really good football. How did Smith fare against ranked opponents?

Really? 8-19 for 60 and a pick and 14 yards rushing is playing really good football?

No wonder UNR fans don't think he's overrated...

Smith had solid games against Nebraska and TCU, both ranked and a bad game against BSU.

Again, stop making me defend Brett Smith UNR homers!

Really? 8-19 for 60 and a pick and 14 yards rushing is playing really good football?

No wonder UNR fans don't think he's overrated...

Smith had solid games against Nebraska and TCU, both ranked and a bad game against BSU.

Again, stop making me defend Brett Smith UNR homers!

He started out good but lost his composure when they started losing.

It's a toss up between Derek Carr and Smith. Derek Carr has a lot of hype because of his brother, but the fact remains that he hasn't shown anything yet. Yes, he was a true freshman last year, but he also helped lead Fresno State to the worst season that they have had in years. He showed some potential against Nebraska, but couldn't contribute to putting a single point on the board against Boise State. Smith did lead Wyoming to an 8-5 season, which isn't bad for a true freshman. That said when 3 of your wins are Weber State, Texas State and Bowling Green it helps to put that record in perspective. Wyoming's record against teams with wining seasons for 2011 was 2-5. The highlights being a close win over San Diego State and Air Force, with the embarrassments being a 44 point loss to Utah State and a 22 point loss to Temple. Wyoming also seems to suffer from the yo-yo curse this past decade (up one year and down the next, regardless). So with that going in, I think Smith has a lot to prove before he is considered the top (or one of the top) QBs of the MWC. We will have to see though.

Fajardo may be over-hyped, but IMHO he is the one who has shown the most potential of the 3.

It's a toss up between Derek Carr and Smith. Derek Carr has a lot of hype because of his brother, but the fact remains that he hasn't shown anything yet. Yes, he was a true freshman last year, but he also helped lead Fresno State to the worst season that they have had in years. He showed some potential against Nebraska, but couldn't contribute to putting a single point on the board against Boise State. Smith did lead Wyoming to an 8-5 season, which isn't bad for a true freshman. That said when 3 of your wins are Weber State, Texas State and Bowling Green it helps to put that record in perspective. Wyoming's record against teams with wining seasons for 2011 was 2-5. The highlights being a close win over San Diego State and Air Force, with the embarrassments being a 44 point loss to Utah State and a 22 point loss to Temple. Wyoming also seems to suffer from the yo-yo curse this past decade (up one year and down the next, regardless). So with that going in, I think Smith has a lot to prove before he is considered the top (or one of the top) QBs of the MWC. We will have to see though.

Fajardo may be over-hyped, but IMHO he is the one who has shown the most potential of the 3.

DC was not a true freshman last year. He was a sophmore He took 2 or 3 snaps the year before costing him a year of eligibility

I don't like your assessment, but it is fair.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Yeah your right Carr is all over hype, the only thing he did was break multiple records for a Soph at the Non AQ QB U......Better then Dilfer, David Carr, Sweeny, Volek, how far do you want me to go.......NO other QB were discussing had those kinds of numbers....

The reason for the W L record had nothing to do with Carr, and everything to do with losing the entire starting D backfield and two starting D linemen some of which before the seson even started......Hell I thought Hill was going to start pulling guys out of the stand to play DB last year......I understand everybody is going to have injuries but to lose darn near 1/2 of your starters within the first two weeks of the season is devastating as our record in 2011 shows...

Carr is the real deal, heck not only is this kid a great passer but he is also the fastest QB to ever play for the Dogs.....His passing stats are what people always talk about but go check the ESPN highlights from the Neb game last year and you'll see one of the ESPN plays of the week rushing into the Endzone by Carr.....

Yeah your right Carr is all over hype, the only thing he did was break multiple records for a Soph at the Non AQ QB U......Better then Dilfer, David Carr, Sweeny, Volek, how far do you want me to go.......NO other QB were discussing had those kinds of numbers....

The reason for the W L record had nothing to do with Carr, and everything to do with losing the entire starting D backfield and two starting D linemen some of which before the seson even started......Hell I thought Hill was going to start pulling guys out of the stand to play DB last year......I understand everybody is going to have injuries but to lose darn near 1/2 of your starters within the first two weeks of the season is devastating as our record in 2011 shows...

Carr is the real deal, heck not only is this kid a great passer but he is also the fastest QB to ever play for the Dogs.....His passing stats are what people always talk about but go check the ESPN highlights from the Neb game last year and you'll see one of the ESPN plays of the week rushing into the Endzone by Carr.....

This is a fair assessment too.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Props to Headbutt for a solid thread topic.

Cody Fajardo without a doubt. There are reasons why a kid who put up monster numbers at a HS football factory got offers only from UNR, UNLV and SJSU.

Boom goes the dynamite.

How do you figure? He either played like +++++ or flat out didn't play against the teams with a pulse last year.

Fajardo also received offers from Nebraska and Arizona. However, what he did or didn't do in high school is irrelevant now.

I have no idea what Fajardo will do this year. It is a team sport and he needs to have protection and good running backs and receivers. If Nevada can provide that this year and he stays healthy he should be fine.

I can understand the skepticism about his being ranked 17th in the country by "one" publication based upon 5 or 6 games but it is important to remember those were his very first 5 or 6 games at the college level.

The MW press and coaches did not see enough to name Fajardo to the preseason 1st team. It appears that many of you think he is a piece of crap so it ain't like he is getting a lot of love. Most of you have never seen him play at all..

It's just guesses people..It doesn't mean anything..