Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip1

Nevada and Fresno State for 2012-2013 Basketball roster

Yes. Please list all the amazing hires that UNLV has made since the Cheater departed...

crickets... crickets.

Only a coach who still had as much success in 7 years at UNLV as UNR has had in its entire history.

UNR NCAA record all time.. 4 wins 6 losses WOW impressive.

sorry for the hijack

i'm sure you think so, but can you back that up with any factual evidence, such as salary?

i'd put SDSU ahead of vegas at this point in time. at least in terms of where the program is right now and its potential to maintain and even improve its current pos'n.

also, i don't think very many people outside of vegas would think you got an upgrade over kruger. perhaps rice will prove that he is better, but it will take some time. and no one knows how long augmon will be willing to play second fiddle. there's much that needs to be proven and only time will tell.

believe it or not, i do hope rice works out for you guys. it's hard not to root for a guy like him.

I love what SDSU is doing in basketball but to be honest a few years of success doesn't put you on same level as UNLV basketball nationally. Just about any article you read ranking bball programs nationally still has UNLV in top 20.

I believe Kruger was highest paid coach in MWC. Obviously we got the home team discount with Rice since this was his dream job and he didn't have any HC experience. But our assistants are among the highest paid, Augmon is getting 225k and Hutson is right below 200k I believe.

In few months on the job Rice has made more progress recruiting then Kruger did his whole time here...but like you said only time will tell with what happens on the court. But I am sure folks in San Diego hated to see Kruger leave since fisher outcoached/outrecruited him.

I love what SDSU is doing in basketball but to be honest a few years of success doesn't put you on same level as UNLV basketball nationally. Just about any article you read ranking bball programs nationally still has UNLV in top 20.

I believe Kruger was highest paid coach in MWC. Obviously we got the home team discount with Rice since this was his dream job and he didn't have any HC experience. But our assistants are among the highest paid, Augmon is getting 225k and Hutson is right below 200k I believe.

In few months on the job Rice has made more progress recruiting then Kruger did his whole time here...but like you said only time will tell with what happens on the court. But I am sure folks in San Diego hated to see Kruger leave since fisher outcoached/outrecruited him.

whatever happened with gurg coming in to help?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Only a coach who still had as much success in 7 years at UNLV as UNR has had in its entire history.

UNR NCAA record all time.. 4 wins 6 losses WOW impressive.

sorry for the hijack

Those 4 NCAA wins are more than the Rebels have mustered since Cheater was shown the door TWO decades ago.

You're not sorry for the hijack. LOL. Sure you are.

Sure UNLV is a national school from what they did 20 years ago

Completely disagree man. Did you feel the same way about Fox? Because Fox also had 2 NBA players for 2 years and he never even made the NIT. In 2008 he had JaVale McGee and Armon Johnson, and in 2009 he had Babbitt and Johnson and we lost in the first round of the CBI both times.

Last year we did terrible in OOC, because we returned one starter who averaged like 4ppg the past year and started 4 newcomers. It takes time to gel. Also we didn't get Czyz a Duke transfer until conference play.

Nevada should be a tourney team this year, and could be even better in our first year in the MWC.

Pretty much. Johnson built the team. Fox lived off his success for a couple of years then petered out. You had your chance at being relevant, and blew it. SDSU should look at UNR as a cautionary tale, but they think one Sweet Sixteen has them on the path to a Final Four.

Pretty much. Johnson built the team. Fox lived off his success for a couple of years then petered out. You had your chance at being relevant, and blew it. SDSU should look at UNR as a cautionary tale, but they think one Sweet Sixteen has them on the path to a Final Four.

LOL. Signed, Massimino, Grgurich, Landa/Edwards, Bayno, Spoonhour, and Lon Kruger.

Well, I disagree but I won't argue because I can definitely see how it looks like this on the outside. The problem with Nevada basketball the last 5 years has just been losing players early to the NBA. If McGee hadn't left as a sophomore where he accomplished nothing we would have had a team with McGee, Johnson, and Babbitt. Thats 3 solid pros and I would say at least a sweet 16 team. And if Babbitt had stayed this year we likely would have been a tourney team. Also losing Malik Cooke to South Carolina really hurt our depth. IDK we are always just one piece short of being great and have lived in mediocrity as a result.

However, I won't really argue because I don't believe that either Fox or Carter are great Xs and Os coaches, but really neither is Johnson. Carter is a great recruiter, and I believe we will be a very good team this year.

I doubt there is a program outside the big six conferences (aside from Memphis) that's lost as many players to early NBA departures than Nevada over the past 8 years.

Probably not even that many big 6 programs.

Sure UNLV is a national school from what they did 20 years ago

and still accomplished as much as SDSU has in its history with Kruger as a coach...so what was your point? Doesnt matter if most of success was 20 years ago UNLV is still considered a top program currently...where is SDSU in any of these articles?

You been pretty sour on UNLV on just about every board around these days.

I doubt there is a program outside the big six conferences (aside from Memphis) that's lost as many players to early NBA departures than Nevada over the past 8 years.

They might not have all left if they had made it to the NCAA tournament and could come back for a special season...no reason to come back to UNR for a chance to play in the NIT or CBI.

They might not have all left if they had made it to the NCAA tournament and could come back for a special season...no reason to come back to UNR for a chance to play in the NIT or CBI.

Not really. It's rare when kids who are guaranteed first round picks stick around. It happens at Duke and North Carolina occasionally but it's rare at most schools, even in the Big 6 conferences.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

and still accomplished as much as SDSU has in its history with Kruger as a coach...so what was your point? Doesnt matter if most of success was 20 years ago UNLV is still considered a top program currently...where is SDSU in any of these articles?

What person outside of Las Vegas thinks that UNLV is a top national hoops program anymore?

huh