Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ManzanoWolf

Rugby -- stAte vs SDSU

Story Date: Friday, April 11, 2008

A-State rugby team earns expensive trip to New Mexico

By Kevin Turbeville

Sun sports editor

Curt Huckaby has a problem, and it’s got nothing to do with the tooth he just lost as the result of an old rugby injury. Huckaby is preparing to take Arkansas State’s rugby team to the USA Rugby National Guard Collegiate Playoffs in the school’s first year of Division I competition. Stepping up from Division II was no problem for the Indians (soon to be Red Wolves), who outscored their South opponents 324-32 to win the region championship.

. . . ASU has been represented by a club that has competed successfully for more than a decade. The Indians were a Division II power, regularly beating Division I teams.

ASU was more than ready to move up from a competitive standpoint, beating South Carolina 79-8, Georgia 54-5, Florida 36-6, Clemson 67-0 and North Carolina 75-0 this year.

. . . ASU owns an overall 10-0-1 record, the only blemish a 13-13 tie against Tennessee. Had the Indians lost that contest, they would have opened against top-ranked California in Albuquerque. Cal, which has rugby as a varsity sport, has won 16 of the last 17 national titles.

. . . Instead ASU will take on San Diego State, the top seed from the Southern California region. The winner likely faces second-seeded Brigham Young, which opens against Dartmouth. The ASU-San Diego State loser plays the BYU-Dartmouth loser. “We’re not done yet,” Huckaby said. “We expect to beat San Diego State. Now we may not, but we have a good team.

http://mensrugby.astate.edu/

Freedom Is Not Free !!!

Home of the Free because of the Brave.

Arkansas State has always had a good D2 rugby club, but it is impressive what they have been able to do in their first D1 club season of rugby. There is not all that much D1 rugby in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas I guess that explains why ASU played all those south east schools this year.

LR5h5.St.58.jpg