Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RebelGrad

Memphis Blew It

I am HAPPY! It was a good game...but lets call a spade....a spade.

Finally Memphis and their C-USA colleagues get their foot back into reality! I'll admit I was getting ticked off this week when I was reading the CUSA board. They were saying that C-USA was better than the MWC(*blah*blah*blah)......and my oh my they sure were arrogant! Besides Memphis.....C-USA has nothing worthy of praise! Nada...zip...zilch! I gotta admit also that for being a ONE-BID league......C-USA still thinks they had a successful season as a conference! lol

I guess Memphis can say goodbye to their Big East invitation with that choke job! just kidding Tiger fans! You know I respect you guys!

The funny part is I felt dirty for awhile! I was cheering for a Memphis win for the sole purpose of elevating Memphis to get that coveted invite to the Big East. The sooner the "sugar-daddy" that pays all of the CUSA bills leaves the nest of the C-USA...the sooner C-USA ceases to exist! Just like when Boise St. eventually leaves the WAC......we can plan the proper last rites for the WAC!

Anytime a C-USA or WAC team falls on their face(remember Hawaii for the Fiesta Bowl).......a smile grows on my face!

It is a good day to be in the MWC.....like the slogan says.....ABOVE the rest!

NEW LOBO ORDER

spannaballernp1.gif

WE ARE NEW MEXICO

Memphis was really good and well I'm kind of sad they lost. It kind of is a good thing for our conference to have the last nc win from outside the big six. UNLV is making strides to beat that and hopefully we wil.

The measure of true greatness isn't what you did but by how people remember you.

unlv.jpg

Basketball:

NCAA Championship: 1 (1990)

Final Four's : 4 (1977, 1987, 1990, 1991)

Elite Eights: 5 (1977, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991)

Top 5 All time winning percentage.

Current leader in streak for most games with a concencutive 3 point field goal.

Football:

Undefeated in bowls (3-0)

Finally Memphis and their C-USA colleagues get their foot back into reality! I'll admit I was getting ticked off this week when I was reading the CUSA board. They were saying that C-USA was better than the MWC(*blah*blah*blah)......and my oh my they sure were arrogant! I gotta admit also that for being a ONE-BID league......C-USA still thinks they had a successful season! lol

I guess Memphis can say goodbye to their Big East invitation with that choke job!

Anytime a C-USA or WAC team falls on their face(remember Hawaii for the Fiesta Bowl).......a smile grows on my face!

Memphis was top notch this year and was one or two plays from being the NC. The way you are wording it is as though they had their a s s handed to them. Far from truth...Memphis had the game and and lost grasp of the finish. I can agree with your sentiment that the REST of CUSA was horrible and it is not right for the rest of the conference to hang their season on one teams play. Memphis was and is truly in a league of their own with Bball in the CUSA. Only Louisville could touch them when UL was still in that conference.

Bottom line the "spade" was a spectacular team. You cannot take that away from Memphis...dispite your hate for the conference they play in.

porta_potties_sfw.jpg

Facilities are being upgraded to match the quality of play with the new teams coming into the conference.

Memphis was top notch this year and was one or two plays from being the NC. The way you are wording it is as though they had their a s s handed to them. Far from truth...Memphis had the game and and lost grasp of the finish. I can agree with your sentiment that the REST of CUSA was horrible and it is not right for the rest of the conference to hang their season on one teams play. Memphis was and is truly in a league of their own with Bball in the CUSA. Only Louisville could touch them when UL was still in that conference.

Bottom line the "spade" was a spectacular team. You cannot take that away from Memphis...dispite your hate for the conference they play in.

The reason I call a spade...a spade.....is because MEMPHIS choked tonight! I'll admit they had a good season....and I respect them and Coach Calapari for that tough OOC schedule. But anytime you give the game away by choking......... That is way worse than losing by a bigger margin IMHO. I actually turned off my tv set with about 2 minutes left in the regulation. I thought the game was over since Memphis had the game pretty much sealed away. Memphis had a 7 or 9 pt lead with less than 2 minutes left!......and a half-hour later when I try and watch my late night newscast.....I find out that the game is in overtime and that Kansas is playing like a champion....while Memphis can not hit a free-throw in the most important game of their lives. That is why I laugh at their failure tonight. The arrogance of C-USA as a whole only added fuel to my fire and justifies me giving them a hard time. No hard feeling though.

NEW LOBO ORDER

spannaballernp1.gif

WE ARE NEW MEXICO

The reason I call a spade...a spade.....is because MEMPHIS choked! That is way worse than losing by a bigger margin IMHO. I actually turned off my tv set with about 2 minutes left in the regulation. I though the game was over since Memphis has the game pretty much sealed away. Memphis had a 7 or 9 pt lead......and a half-hour later when I try and watch my late night newscast.....I find out that the game is in overtime and that Kansas is playing like a champion....while Memphis can not hit a free-throw in the most important game of their lives. That is why I laugh at their failure. Their arrogance only added fuel to my fire and justifies me giving them a hard time.
As your title suggests, and I have agreed Memphis blew it. So are you saying that Memphis was really a bad team? Did they not belong in the NC game? Does the fact that they missed some free throws mean they had their head in the clouds when they had hopes of winning the NC game? I fail to see the arrogance that Memphis has displayed. Are you mistaking fans views or conference fans petty opinions as Memphis' arrogance?

I can't change the fact that you want to "laugh at their failure". I only offer the opinion that if you consider their whole season a failure or if you think that Memphis was out of touch with reality, your off your rocker...or worse, letting your bias get in the way of reason.

porta_potties_sfw.jpg

Facilities are being upgraded to match the quality of play with the new teams coming into the conference.

Have an ex who is a huge KU fan so I must admit I cheered for the Jayhawks just to be sure she would be in a great mood tomorrow...

Still I would have been happy seeing a non BIG 6 conference team not winning the NC. Oh well, UNLV will win it in 2010.

I gotta admit also that for being a ONE-BID league......C-USA still thinks they had a successful season! lol

By financial measure (NCAA credits earned), their league was pretty damn good thanks to Memphis. CUSA will be reaping that benefit for the next half dozen years, so I'm not so sure I'd be laughing quite so loudly...

As your title suggests, and I have agreed Memphis blew it. So are you saying that Memphis was really a bad team? Did they not belong in the NC game? Does the fact that they missed some free throws mean they had their head in the clouds when they had hopes of winning the NC game? I fail to see the arrogance that Memphis has displayed. Are you mistaking fans views or conference fans petty opinions as Memphis' arrogance?

I can't change the fact that you want to "laugh at their failure". I only offer the opinion that if you consider their whole season a failure or if you think that Memphis was out of touch with reality, your off your rocker...or worse, letting your bias get in the way of reason.

I will admit Memphis is a good team. They had a good season. I respect John Calapari and the Memphis Tigers as a good team. However....it was the arrogance of the OTHER C-USA teams that ticked me off. They tried to reason that Memphis schedule during conference-play "toughened" them up and was a tough schedule. The reason I laugh at Memphis tonight is because of their choke job.....I am not gonna bash their overall successful season. I did a similiar thing when I laughed at Hawaii. Hawaii had a good season too in football.....yet we all know what happen with that right!

NEW LOBO ORDER

spannaballernp1.gif

WE ARE NEW MEXICO

I thought Coach Cal said free throws weren't an issue for his team. hmm. It would have been nice to see one of the "little" guys to do it though.
Rose, Douglas-Roberts,and Dozier were the only UM players to have to shoot in the clutch...collectively the box scores show they shot 68% among the three of them. I would have to go back and look at the last 5 min of regulation but around the 3minute mark the announcers did state that Memphis was 5 of the last 5 on FT attempts. I would be curious to know in the clutch(the last 5 minutes or so of the game) what the FT % was if any stat monger out there knows.

porta_potties_sfw.jpg

I will admit Memphis is a good team. They had a good season. I respect John Calapari and the Memphis Tigers as a good team. However....it was the arrogance of the OTHER C-USA teams that ticked me off. They tried to reason that Memphis schedule during conference-play "toughened" them up and was a tough schedule. The reason I laugh at Memphis tonight is because of their choke job.....I am not gonna bash their overall successful season. I did a similiar thing when I laughed at Hawaii. Hawaii had a good season too in football.....yet we all know what happen with that right!
So, back to my original concern...I am glad that you don't let the arrogance of crazy CUSA teams diminish what Memphis did...again I can't change that that you want to laugh because they blew it...did they really blow it being up by 3 pnts with 10 seconds in regulation and Chalmers of KU making a sick/difficult/clutch 3 pointer at the end of regulation to send the game into OT?...Earlier you had mentioned that KU was playing like champions in OT...they were playing smart, I agree and that is what champions do. They find the advantage and use it. In OT Dorsey was fouled out so KU kept taking it inside. I really don't think you can even compare Memphis' loss with Hawaii getting completely embarrassed in the BCS. Not a good comparison at all. Hawaii spent all night behind a woodshed. Memphis still does not even know what a woodshed is.

porta_potties_sfw.jpg

If Memphis goes 2/5 on their last 5 free throws in regulation, they win it. Insane.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Finally Memphis and their C-USA colleagues get their foot back into reality! I'll admit I was getting ticked off this week when I was reading the CUSA board. They were saying that C-USA was better than the MWC(*blah*blah*blah)......and my oh my they sure were arrogant! Besides Memphis.....C-USA has nothing worthy of praise! Nada...zip...zilch! I gotta admit also that for being a ONE-BID league......C-USA still thinks they had a successful season as a conference! lol

I guess Memphis can say goodbye to their Big East invitation with that choke job! just kidding Tiger fans! You know I respect you guys!

The funny part is I felt dirty for awhile! I was cheering for a Memphis win for the sole purpose of elevating Memphis to get that coveted invite to the Big East. The sooner the "sugar-daddy" that pays all of the CUSA bills leaves the nest of the C-USA...the sooner C-USA ceases to exist! Just like when Boise St. eventually leaves the WAC......we can plan the proper last rites for the WAC!

Not to bust your party up or anything, but I'm personally not seeing how the Big East is gonna bring Memphis into the fold. Don't

get me wrong, cause I'm all for competition and Memphis definitely brings that for Bball, but I don't think there is any room right now.

Not to bust your party up or anything, but I'm personally not seeing how the Big East is gonna bring Memphis into the fold. Don't

get me wrong, cause I'm all for competition and Memphis definitely brings that for Bball, but I don't think there is any room right now.

I think the days of the Big East as a dual conference, one for football and another for basketball, is coming to an end. They want to be the power house in basketball, and I don't think that this NCAA tourney left the Big East brass happy. They got 8 teams into the tournament, 7 advanced to the second round, 3 to the Sweet sixteen and only Louisville made it to the Elite Eight, where the Big East was ousted from the tourney. I'm not knocking the Big East, because that was a good showing, but I doubt it is where they wanted it to be. Their last team playing was even a recent addition from C-USA. I doubt the Big East was happy with their teams coming home early and watching the last stand out from the one bid C-USA come within a free throw of winning it all.

I expect in the coming years we see the Big East move toward a 12 team football/basketball conference setup and Memphis to be the first team added to the football lineup.

2008-Present - Kicker Conditioning Coach, Team Apology

Guest ragtimeJOE

What a great game. FT obviously the story, but what do you all think of the foul (or in this case no foul) policy with under 5 seconds and up by 3? I can see the strategy behind it. Foul (on the floor) giving them 2 (at most) shots. That would leave Kansas down by 1 with under 5 seconds to go and Memphis ball. Very difficult situation for Kansas.

However, the other side of me thinks it is chickenshit and I'm glad they didn't foul.

Great season for both clubs and one of the better NC in recent memory.

That's interesting. I never saw one post from a CUSA fan saying we had a successful season. Memphis has carried us, but we're getting better. CUSA wasn't as bad as everyone thought, though. Other than Houston, who had a chance to be in the dance until they blew it at the end (two losses to UTEP), the rest of the decent teams in CUSA were very inexperienced. I never saw a post about how CUSA "toughened up" Memphis or was a tough schedule, but I did see posts about how the media was wrong when they said how the "weak" CUSA schedule left Memphis unprepared for the tourney. Michigan St. and Texas would beg to differ. UTEP kept it close AT Memphis, we had a two-point lead with under three minutes left, and UAB lost to them by one. Memphis had a couple of scares in CUSA.

Nontheless, all of CUSA acknowledges that Memphis is a class above. That would be true for them in just about any conference.

If your last sentence implies that Memphis had no business in the national final, I think most would disagree. Maybe Hawaii was a paper tiger, but they played by the unfair BCS rules and found a way to get in. More power to them. Memphis, on the other hand, was the real deal, as demonstrated by losing the national championship in overtime.