Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

Most overrated player in the MWC this year?

A couple of names in my head for this, but I'm interested in what the masses have to say. Who's getting the love and the pub, and you think it's going to look like a bunch of real stupid gushing when the season winds up?

sdsu for sure...

I would also say boise is overrated... but still think they are the favorites in the mwc.

but you said player so :-/

SDSU is actually underrated...most of you aren't expecting much so how could they be overrated? :blink:

Back to the topic- most overrated player is Brett Smith

San_Diego_State_Logotype.png 

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

Don Coryell, head coach 1961-1972

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999

SDSU is actually underrated...most of you aren't expecting much so how could they be overrated? :blink:

Back to the topic- most overrated player is Brett Smith

By the media is what I thought was implied.

myfresno.jpg

2008 National Champs

Go Bulldogs

Back to the topic- most overrated player is Brett Smith :huh:

SAN DIEGO -- Brett Smith threw two touchdown passes and ran for two scores as Wyoming held on for a 30-27 win over San Diego State on Saturday night.

Smith, a freshman, was 25 of 36 passing for 341 yards for the Cowboys (5-2, 2-0 Mountain West), who scored all of their points en route to a 30-13 halftime lead.

I have to go with Fajardo. He has so much pre-season hype and there's talk that he could be a better and more successful quarterback than Kaepernick was. Im just afraid all this hype will get to his head and he will be pathetic this year. Last year for our basketball team there was talk that the team was going to be dominant and one of the best out west but then got hammered by like 25-30 points at home by a pedestrian Missouri St. team. The fame and acclaim got into their heads and i fear it may happen to Fajardo the first couple of games.

Fajardo, easily. He racked up a ton of Stats against tomato cans and did jack against teams with a pulse, and he's supposed to be some QB to fear that will challenge for all conference?

Kellen Moore, bsu fans don't seem to realize he is gone.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Fajardo, easily. He racked up a ton of Stats against tomato cans and did jack against teams with a pulse, and he's supposed to be some QB to fear that will challenge for all conference?

I don't know....it seems like Nevada played a lot of the same teams other MWC teams played. Look at the QB for Wyoming for instance (he is generally considered one of the other top QB's in the MWC)...if you take an average of the total defense rankings of the teams Wyoming played vs. the teams Nevada played, it's pretty close (Wyoming opponents 70 vs Nevada 79....with Wyoming playing two I-AA schools), with four common opponents (UNM, UNLV, BSU, USU).

I am not sure where all this so called overhype for Fajardo is coming from. He has received little to no attention from the MW press. All the talk is about Derek Carr.

I expect Fajardo will be better this year because sophomores tend to be better than freshmen but he is still a very young qb.

The preseason all conferences are fun guesses but they are just guesses. Nobody knows how the season will play out..

Don't know if Cody will end up the most overated but he's got some work to do to live up to some of the preseason hype.

http://michigan.scout.com/2/1213438.html

CFN rankings - I omitted 1-5

6. Logan Thomas, Jr. Virginia Tech

7. Geno Smith, Sr. West Virginia

8. EJ Manuel, Sr. Florida State

9. Aaron Murray, Jr. Georgia

10. Tyler Bray, Jr. Tennessee

11. Alex Carder, Sr. Western Michigan

12. Casey Pachall, Jr. TCU

13. Tajh Boyd, Jr. Clemson

14. Keith Price, Jr. Washington

15. Braxton Miller, Soph. Ohio State

16. Cody Fajardo, Soph. Nevada

17. Teddy Bridgewater, Soph. Louisville

18. Derek Carr, Jr. Fresno State

19. Ryan Aplin, Sr. Arkansas State

20. A.J. McCarron, Jr. Alabama

21. Bryn Renner, Jr. North Carolina

22. Mike Glennon, Sr. NC State

23. Seth Doege, Sr. Texas Tech

24. MarQueis Gray, Sr. Minnesota

25. Taylor Martinez, Jr. Nebraska

26. Nathan Scheelhaase, Jr. Illinois

27. James Vandenberg, Sr. Iowa

28. Brett Smith, Soph. Wyoming

I am not sure where all this so called overhype for Fajardo is coming from. He has received little to no attention from the MW press. All the talk is about Derek Carr.

I expect Fajardo will be better this year because sophomores tend to be better than freshmen but he is still a very young qb.

The preseason all conferences are fun guesses but they are just guesses. Nobody knows how the season will play out..

Sophs tend to do WORSE actually. It's called a sophomore slump for a reason.

I don't know....it seems like Nevada played a lot of the same teams other MWC teams played. Look at the QB for Wyoming for instance (he is generally considered one of the other top QB's in the MWC)...if you take an average of the total defense rankings of the teams Wyoming played vs. the teams Nevada played, it's pretty close (Wyoming opponents 70 vs Nevada 79....with Wyoming playing two I-AA schools), with four common opponents (UNM, UNLV, BSU, USU).

Fajardo didn't actually play against your entire schedule did he though?

Common opponents...

UNM

Smith - 23-38 212 1td - 12 for 140 2td

Fajardo - 20-25 203 1int - 13 for 86 2td

UNLV

Smith - 10-19 96 2td - 10 for 59

Fajardo - 11-15 93 2int - 9 for 40

BSU

Smith - 17-25 78 1td 1int - 6 for 37

Fajardo - DNP

USU

Smith - 28-46 265 1int - 10 for -4 1td

Fajardo - 19-25 180 - 10 for 45

Now please stop making me defend Brett Smith.

I'm gonna go with Aztec Rising and say Smith. Not that I think he's overrated, I just think his #s won't be as good as last year.

That is a definate fear. Hopefully he breaks the soph slump trend but I doubt it.

You've got it exactly backwards.

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs