Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Cowboy Junky

The more things change the more they stay the same....

They've had 5 off field incidents in recent months, the Colorado news is just getting better at keeping it quiet. At least they aren't raping girls anymore....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008...duren-is-after/

Moma's don't let your babies grow up to be Buffaloes....

Funny thing about this is Lynn Katoa was a five star recuit from Cottonwood High School in SLC. When asked why he wasn't interested in either Utah or BYU, he said, (paraphrasing) that he didn't even know which conference either team was in, and that he wanted to play for a team that has a chance to win a national title. Some of these young dude's just get a little full of themselves. Colorado was a great fit I see.

This is typical in the PRB.

Doesn't matter who the president of the University is, or the AD, or who the coach is. It is a foregone conclusion that at least

2 or 3 kids will be arrested every year. This year they have outdone themselves with 5!

The best thing for everyone is instability in boulder. Trust me, it's best for everyone.

edit: I am in no way relating instability to assault or rape. Instability is ok as long as no one gets hurt.

Unfortunatly, people in boulder often do.

This is typical in the PRB.

Doesn't matter who the president of the University is, or the AD, or who the coach is. It is a foregone conclusion that at least

2 or 3 kids will be arrested every year. This year they have outdone themselves with 5!

The best thing for everyone is instability in boulder. Trust me, it's best for everyone.

Goes without question such antics are shameful. Alcohol (not to mention stupidity) seem to be a recurring theme. Funny how this happens quite often at other high profile universites, yet at least those teams seem to win. I'm not suggesting in the least that such behavior is at all justified at such schools (i.e., a means to an end), but usually the programs that have a larger percentage of questionable characters at least "justify" it with more on the field success (however you define that term). I think if you're going to struggle on the field, as CU has in recent years, you might as well do it with good citizens.

CU isn't exacting grabbing headlines out here in California, but it sure is disappointing to read about such crappy behavior from afar. And the obligatgory lip service that follows soon thereafter? Please... I'd rather hear them say they made a mistake judging the kid's character, but that opens up a pandora's box of issues, so we'll obviously never hear that.

That said, those of you who take heart in the misfortune of others would be wise to start looking over your own shoulders. Although the numbers may not be commensurate, it's practically a foregone conclusion that "misfortune" will strike your own programs one way or another in the not so distant future. Keep that in mind as you rejoice so gleefully...

Guest Cowboy Junky

Goes without question such antics are shameful. Alcohol (not to mention stupidity) seem to be a recurring theme. Funny how this happens quite often at other high profile universites, yet at least those teams seem to win. I'm not suggesting in the least that such behavior is at all justified at such schools (i.e., a means to an end), but usually the programs that have a larger percentage of questionable characters at least "justify" it with more on the field success (however you define that term). I think if you're going to struggle on the field, as CU has in recent years, you might as well do it with good citizens.

CU isn't exacting grabbing headlines out here in California, but it sure is disappointing to read about such crappy behavior from afar. And the obligatgory lip service that follows soon thereafter? Please... I'd rather hear them say they made a mistake judging the kid's character, but that opens up a pandora's box of issues, so we'll obviously never hear that.

That said, those of you who take heart in the misfortune of others would be wise to start looking over your own shoulders. Although the numbers may not be commensurate, it's practically a foregone conclusion that "misfortune" will strike your own programs one way or another in the not so distant future. Keep that in mind as you rejoice so gleefully...

You tell me what you think is more likely:

1. We enjoy seeing girls get raped, homes getting broke into, and kids getting their asses kicked by football players.

2. We're a little bit shocked the idiots in Boulder can't reign in their Gorillas.

They've had 5 off field incidents in recent months, the Colorado news is just getting better at keeping it quiet. At least they aren't raping girls anymore....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008...duren-is-after/

Moma's don't let your babies grow up to be Buffaloes....

Didn't a Wyo reciever have to spend a little time in jail recently?

Guest Cowboy Junky

Ryan McGuffey got a DUI in 2002 or 2003.

Aren't you a BYU fan? As CJ mentioned, I think that was maybe 6 years ago? You don't have to go nearly that far back to find DUI's at BYU (Rashaun Broadus anyone?). Not to mention that myriad other off the field incidents (some of them quite tame and humorous I admit) that BYU players have been involved in, in recent years.

Wyoming has been fortunate to not have to deal with a lot of off the field distractions (the only crimes have been on the field) in recent years, but athletes behaving badly can happen anywhere, and BYU has zero moral authority to judge in that regard (I am sure Vegas Ute can provide a thorough breakdown off BYU's shenanigans if necessary).

All though I'm much happier to see CU loss the win. It's not good for the state of Colorado when we have incidents like this at CU, CSU and UNC (That stabbing incident was embarrassing). However, it seems CU football players and their student body continues to clash. When I attended CSU I had several friends who played football and were some of the classiest people in FTC. There were minimal problems at the bars or parties with players and students. I had plenty of friends from home who attended CU and despised the players, one of my good buddies was beaten by the entire secondary a couple of years ago and maybe he provoked the beating but still...

Perhaps it has something to do with more in-state Kids on the roster and CSU being 75% Colorado kids. Is this something you agree with? Does Boulder breed a culture that is negative for CU players? I know quite a bit of racism has taken place in Boulder in the past. Does the huge amount of out of state students affect Boulder and their culture? A lot of family money with some of these kids.

Thoughts?

It's only a matter of time....

All though I'm much happier to see CU loss the win. It's not good for the state of Colorado when we have incidents like this at CU, CSU and UNC (That stabbing incident was embarrassing). However, it seems CU football players and their student body continues to clash. When I attended CSU I had several friends who played football and were some of the classiest people in FTC. There were minimal problems at the bars or parties with players and students. I had plenty of friends from home who attended CU and despised the players, one of my good buddies was beaten by the entire secondary a couple of years ago and maybe he provoked the beating but still...

Perhaps it has something to do with more in-state Kids on the roster and CSU being 75% Colorado kids. Is this something you agree with? Does Boulder breed a culture that is negative for CU players? I know quite a bit of racism has taken place in Boulder in the past. Does the huge amount of out of state students affect Boulder and their culture? A lot of family money with some of these kids.

Thoughts?

I may not be the best person to comment on such a question, as it's been some years since I've been back to CU, and when I attended I was so busy with my grad school studies that I had little time to digest the student/athlete dynamics that existed. That said, I'm not sure it's all that different in Boulder than anywhere else. At SJSU, I remember the confrontations with football players at the fraternity parties, etc.. so we weren't immune to witnessing such behavior in San Jose either.

I think an athlete, almost by definition, has a super-sized ego that must be carefully monitored. That's not to say that it's always an athlete's fault for confrontations, but you'll certainly won't see them back down very often, or lack for taking for granted whatever "status" being an athlete offers them. I don't want to stereotype, but I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that the phrase "student-athlete" could easilyy be rephrased "athlete-student" instead these days. With more and more emhapsis being made on what the kid brings to the field than the classroom (thanks primarily to the $$$ factor in athletics, specifically, football and basketball) you're bound to have clashes given the educational setting.

Boulder is a pretty liberal place, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that certain elements are at odds with athletes. That's a current theme elsewhere, too (think people sitting in trees next to Berkeley's Memorial Stadium). I think you do make a good point, though, to the extent that out of state attendees may not fit in all that well socially. That's not so much an excuse as it is perhaps a troubling fact.

I think Freshman should be required to attend mandatory "new student" meetings to help acclimate themselves to their new surroundings, campus culture. etc. And not as a group of athletes, mind you, but in small goups interspersed with non-athletes. Giving them a new perspective of their peers from the get-go may help calm previously unaddressed issues down the road.

That said, I'm aware that you can't always change a tiger's stripes (a person is who they are), so trouble will undoubtedly lurk for those programs that put athletic success first and aren't screened as objectively as possible for potential character issues....

You tell me what you think is more likely:

1. We enjoy seeing girls get raped, homes getting broke into, and kids getting their asses kicked by football players.

2. We're a little bit shocked the idiots in Boulder can't reign in their Gorillas.

Not exactly a fair question, eh? I doubt anyone here condones such behavior, so what's the point in reveling in a school's reputation suffering for the acts of a relative few? To draw a parallel, Fresno State has had more than its fair share of off the field troubles in recent years, but as a rival school I take no solace in that fact. At some point, thuggish behavior begins to reflect poorly on all student athletes, both near and far, so I fail to see the benefit in mocking the school under fire...

Aren't you a BYU fan? As CJ mentioned, I think that was maybe 6 years ago? You don't have to go nearly that far back to find DUI's at BYU (Rashaun Broadus anyone?). Not to mention that myriad other off the field incidents (some of them quite tame and humorous I admit) that BYU players have been involved in, in recent years.

Wyoming has been fortunate to not have to deal with a lot of off the field distractions (the only crimes have been on the field) in recent years, but athletes behaving badly can happen anywhere, and BYU has zero moral authority to judge in that regard (I am sure Vegas Ute can provide a thorough breakdown off BYU's shenanigans if necessary).

Police Blotter smack is bad karma... when you have 100+ competitive, aggressive, and often cocky young men running around a college campus there will be issues... Issues for every team/program. Utah has 3 players suspended right now one of them has issues stemming from a DUI case... Who knows if they will ever play for Utah again, I won't claim that Utah is somehow special.

BYU does take extra heat because there is a hypocrisy factor coming from their fans and coach but, I honestly don't think BYU has a special problem. They have the same problems as the rest of us, they just want to sell the idea they are better than us. However with their recent police records and some of the public embarrassments from athletes and wifes they just are not in a position to do much preaching.

There have been cases when some programs seem to have spun completely out-of-control, Oklahoma, Miami, and Colorado come to mind. I guess when things get that way then some public ridicule is expected and justified

Guest Cowboy Junky

Not exactly a fair question, eh? I doubt anyone here condones such behavior, so what's the point in reveling in a school's reputation suffering for the acts of a relative few? To draw a parallel, Fresno State has had more than its fair share of off the field troubles in recent years, but as a rival school I take no solace in that fact. At some point, thuggish behavior begins to reflect poorly on all student athletes, both near and far, so I fail to see the benefit in mocking the school under fire...

It's an interesting topic to this region. I'm going to post it. Excuse me if I don't speak with reverence about a team that has got away with several rapes, a slush fund, numerous assualts, multiple MIP's....etc. If you're expecting me to hold their hands while they go to the bathroom for a quick gangbang and shot of heroin, you got the wrong guy.

It's an interesting topic to this region. I'm going to post it. Excuse me if I don't speak with reverence about a team that has got away with several rapes, a slush fund, numerous assualts, multiple MIP's....etc. If you're expecting me to hold their hands while they go to the bathroom for a quick gangbang and shot of heroin, you got the wrong guy.

I don't recall ever asking you to speak reverently about the Buffs or to hold their collective hand... or even to not post the topic in the first place. I'm saying you're painting a pretty broad stroke of all things CU with that oft-perverse brush of yours. Reveling in someone else's shortcomings is one of the lowest common denominators of humanity, IMO (and yes, thugs and rapists, etc., are indeed light years lower)...

But rail away all you like. It's your prerogative to make yourself feel better in whatever way you see fit. My opinion on the subject would be exactly the same if you substituted Wyoming players for Colorado players. I suggest you ask yourself (honestly) if yours would be as well. After you do, maybe then you'd recognize such circumstances are to be truly pitied, not embellished with widespread character asassinations and tasteless sarcasm...

Guest Cowboy Junky

I don't recall ever asking you to speak reverently about the Buffs or to hold their collective hand... or even to not post the topic in the first place. I'm saying you're painting a pretty broad stroke of all things CU with that oft-perverse brush of yours. Reveling in someone else's shortcomings is one of the lowest common denominators of humanity, IMO (and yes, thugs and rapists, etc., are indeed light years lower)...

But rail away all you like. It's your prerogative to make yourself feel better in whatever way you see fit. My opinion on the subject would be exactly the same if you substituted Wyoming players for Colorado players. I suggest you ask yourself (honestly) if yours would be as well. After you do, maybe then you'd recognize such circumstances are to be truly pitied, not embellished with widespread character asassinations and tasteless sarcasm...

Where did you get the impression that I'm "Reveling" in CU's shortcomings? It must have been the "Momas don't let your babies grow up to be Buffaloes" that gave you the impression that I'm dancing in my living room over kids getting beat down by football players and girls getting gang-raped.

I love that kind of stough. I'm so happy, I'm going to go eat a baby.

Where did you get the impression that I'm "Reveling" in CU's shortcomings? It must have been the "Momas don't let your babies grow up to be Buffaloes" that gave you the impression that I'm dancing in my living room over kids getting beat down by football players and girls getting gang-raped.

I love that kind of stough. I'm so happy, I'm going to go eat a baby.

That's a start. Calling the players "gorillas" is plenty enough for me as well. You don't have to be a genius to read between those lines. I don't have a problem with your honesty or sense of fair play/justice, CJ. Believe it or not, I'm probably no different in those respects. I do, however, have a problem with the license you've taken in the delivery of your message here. Impugning the majority with the acts of the minority just doesn't work for me.

I think you've got the blinders on if you don't at least consider how similar unfortunate circumstances might affect the Cowboy program someday. What if one of the perpetrators was a neighbor of yours, or perhaps a familiar extension of a long-time friend of the family? Or worse yet, a relative? Is it a stretch to think your reaction would be different, if only in delivery of the same final opinion? You've got some good things to say on this forum, CJ, but you sell yourself short by avoiding the high road at times like this. Take it FWIW...

Guest Cowboy Junky

That's a start. Calling the players "gorillas" is plenty enough for me as well. You don't have to be a genius to read between those lines. I don't have a problem with your honesty or sense of fair play/justice, CJ. Believe it or not, I'm probably no different in those respects. I do, however, have a problem with the license you've taken in the delivery of your message here. Impugning the majority with the acts of the minority just doesn't work for me.

I think you've got the blinders on if you don't at least consider how similar unfortunate circumstances might affect the Cowboy program someday. What if one of the perpetrators was a neighbor of yours, or perhaps a familiar extension of a long-time friend of the family? Or worse yet, a relative? Is it a stretch to think your reaction would be different, if only in delivery of the same final opinion? You've got some good things to say on this forum, CJ, but you sell yourself short by avoiding the high road at times like this. Take it FWIW...

The only ones I'm impugning are the rapists, the assualt artists, the trespassers, the administration, the coaches, and the A.D. for not taking care of the behavioral issues after 10 years of problems. Enough is enough.

Yes I am a BYU Fan, but I am also a MWC fan that lives in Wyo. Don't get me wrong; I am not judging any team nor comparing them with BYU. BYU has its own fun problems (some more serious than others) and I have had my share of problems as well.

This "jail time" was recent (as in the last two weeks). I am sure the coaches aren't sharing it with the media, if they even know of it. My understanding is that it wasn't that big of a deal.