Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pioneer

ND to ACC

Why?

I guess you haven't been lurking enough since joining in 2010. There are a number of members here that would love to see the BE fail. Go back through the threads of the past year -it would become readily apparent.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

That's just wild conjecture and speculation. Realistically, Boise isn't a PAC target in the next decade, nor a Big 12 target. But who knows the real story of how things played out between university presidents?

Kustra seems to want a conference with more stability. If a grant of rights for half a decade or more brings that to a lineup he likes with enough $$$ to meet the goals of the school, why not?

I'm sure they'll have out clauses like they did for joining the BE.

I guess that's what I get for reading mysfits posts...... I would think a re-orged western based conference would be more stable, but who knows if the money would ever be there to make it stable.

I doubt this will start another round of shuffling on the FB side. ND FB will remain indy. They don't want to join anybody or they would have already. Doubt ACC will invite UConn either.

Does the BE take a hit? Sure. And the timing is a real slap in the face. But there you have it. Some of you will no doubt be elated.

Elated? Hardly, but curious from a business standpoint since the tv contract is up for renewal. My guess is the tv value for basketball was worth more to ESPN with ND, who knows the impact? FWIW I still think the Big East gets a decent contract because it will probably be a bidding duel between NBCsports and ESPN that will drive the value up.

Ya, I just seen that on espn online. My first reaction is that it's an indicator of what's coming in the new BE contract. Rights assignment. The ACC does not have rights assignment. Despite the fact that Dodds of Austin and Sawbrick (sp) of South Bend are good buds, Notre Dame aint goin to any league with rights assignment. I think it's an indicator of what's just around the corner.....

My initial reaction was that ESPN doesn't like the numbers the BE is talking so they're grabbing some of their content now on the cheap.

This is good news. This will shorten the Big 12 options. Now the Big 12 seemingly won't be able to poach the ACC or get ND. So the programs that actually can add money to the Big 12 coffers becomes a short or non-existent list. So if the Big 12s media deal doesn't look like it will keep pace during the next negotiation period, the Texas 4 will bolt as they can't bring anybody worth while in. Look for major movement in 2025.

I just dont see Texas and Oklahoma sitting back especially if the other conference get media contracts that the Big 12 doesn't get. And a conference of schools in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, 2nd tier Iowa school and good but small population in West Virginia doesn't compare to the hugely populated SEC ACC PAC-12 and Big Ten. Not exactly sure how they got the contract his time, but props to the Big 12 for Getting it. I just don't see it holding long term, but I may be wrong. Have been before.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

If I was the Big XII I would add Louisville and stay at 11. It would strengthen Basketball and enter SEC territory. Play 8 league games, protect 1 rivalry game and skip2 teams each year. After the new NC is in effect for a while then make your changes.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

no big surprise there. thought they might go Big 12 though.

Simply put the BE is the old grey mare

now that ND is off the table the Big 12 can decide and move forward with or without Louisville and team X

If this happens and UL is gonzo you'd almost have to ask if SDSU and BSU still make the jump?

That's just wild conjecture and speculation. Realistically, Boise isn't a PAC target in the next decade, nor a Big 12 target. But who knows the real story of how things played out between university presidents?

Kustra seems to want a conference with more stability. If a grant of rights for half a decade or more brings that to a lineup he likes with enough $$$ to meet the goals of the school, why not?

I'm sure they'll have out clauses like they did for joining the BE.

The issue of the GOR is length. If the Big 12 decides to sit around and the Texas 4 leave in 2025, then that could be an opportunity to create a western based Big 12 if the schools left are worth joining.

Big 12 (2025)

Kansas

K-State

Iowa State

Houston

TCU

Baylor

SDSU

Boise St

BYU

New Mexico

UNLV

Colorado St

And maybe more. Encourage West Virgina to leave and go regional.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

I guess that's what I get for reading mysfits posts...... I would think a re-orged western based conference would be more stable, but who knows if the money would ever be there to make it stable.

I think that would the first choice of most fans of BSU or SDSU or any western school. But the reality has been the opposite. The MWC had the best chance back in 2010, but it was not to be. If there were a western conference that could offer what the BE is likely to get, then things would have been different.

It's too bad really, as the west deserves two major conferences.

Maybe in the next shakeup. I still think this model of "every-conference-for-itself" will eventually die, and a more professional model adopted for division 1-A.

Hey, I can dream!

From article I read it said part of reason Notre dame left was because it didn't want to be associated with new members.

Perhaps you would care to share that "article" with the rest of us about ND not wanting to be associated with new members?

"A donkey always says thank you with a kick." --– Kenyan Proverb

If I was the Big XII I would add Louisville and stay at 11. It would strengthen Basketball and enter SEC territory. Play 8 league games, protect 1 rivalry game and skip2 teams each year. After the new NC is in effect for a while then make your changes.

Not happening. Texas has already lost/pushed away 2 rivals. They can't afford to deemphasize more. They cant alienate their fan base much more. It would have to be something like 3 protected rivals: Oklahoma, Texas Tech and maybe Ok State. Now you could say Baylor or TCU over Ok state, but it depends what UTs end game is. Do they eventually want to leave the Big 12? Then they would best be served by forming a partnership with Ok State ASAP.

I would say this would be a deal breaker for BYU if they are in the talks to join in 2014 or 2015?

Yeah, that'll be interesting. The zoobs were seriously courted by the B12 though, and don't they have a grant of rights in place?

I think that would the first choice of most fans of BSU or SDSU or any western school. But the reality has been the opposite. The MWC had the best chance back in 2010, but it was not to be. If there were a western conference that could offer what the BE is likely to get, then things would have been different.

It's too bad really, as the west deserves two major conferences.

Maybe in the next shakeup. I still think this model of "every-conference-for-itself" will eventually die, and a more professional model adopted for division 1-A.

Hey, I can dream!

I have a feeling eventually they will all go back to regional conferences once the TV bubble bursts. Who knows when that will be.

SDSU IS daddy.

hahahahaha....I just spit up my coffee. You can't even consider yourselves San Jose State's Daddy.... 15-18 all time record :lol:

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

I would say this would be a deal breaker for BYU if they are in the talks to join in 2014 or 2015?

Its about joining for football. Notre Dame was not a football member.

One of the teams BYU hoped to have on their future schedules were games with ND. That could change now that ND also agreed to play 5-6 games every year with ACC teams so I would think that closes still another door for BYU scheduling. BYU will join if the money is there and the BE makes accomodations for their TV network. ND's basketball team jumping out of the BE has nothing to do with it.

"A donkey always says thank you with a kick." --– Kenyan Proverb