Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pioneer

ND to ACC

I guess you haven't been lurking enough since joining in 2010. There are a number of members here that would love to see the BE fail. Go back through the threads of the past year -it would become readily apparent.

There are probably just as many SDSU fans that get nothing but pleasure from anything negative that occurs with the MWC.

There's no telling where this will go but it will have a ripple effect. It may present a real opportunity for BSU and SDSU to get their full western division of the BE. With the BE's basketball schools' bargaining position weakened, the football playing schools could force such a move. That would provide both BSU and SDSU a stable western home in the BE that would move to an all-sports division and get them out of the Big West. I just hope that a BE western move will not cost the MWC more than the loss of AFA.

An alternative is that the BE upcoming TV contract could be significantly reduced in value. Not only the loss of ND there but the perceived instability of the conference now increased with Louisville, Rutgers and Connecticut, more than ever, all wanting to bail. That could be bad news for BSU and SDSU.

If those schools find a way out of the Big East, imo that's enough to trigger a Big East split between the football and basketball schools.

This wasn't completely unexpected. ND had a similar deal with the BE and never honored it (on the FB side). Wonder if they'll actually schedule ACC teams as they are suggesting. Can't really see it happening with their regular lineup.

Shouldn't affect the FB side of the media negotiations. Will have a small bump on the BB side.

Real betrayal of the NE BB schools though. They have to be pretty pissed right now.

All small bump on the BB side? I don't think you give the ND value enough credit.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Then the BE becomes a long term stopping point for Boise. I thought the plan was to move to the Big 12 or Pac 12?

That is the dream.

One I have repeatedly admitted as a long shot.......

Everyone not in one of the big 4 is simply trying to stay ahead of the crumbling foundations.

It's obvious to EVERYONE the BE is teetering and not stable at all. We know that. Still it presents our best shot at money for expansion which is needed for any chance at moving up and it's better exposure.

But it is no silver bullet.

It sucks to be a program not in one of the big 4 right now...........

One of the Final Five..........

I guess that's what I get for reading mysfits posts...... I would think a re-orged western based conference would be more stable, but who knows if the money would ever be there to make it stable.

No that's what you get for skipping over the distinctions in my posts and not comprehending the full message.

If those schools find a way out of the Big East, imo that's enough to trigger a Big East split between the football and basketball schools.

Might happen anyway. With ND gone, it makes sense for the rest of the BE's Catholic schools to just form their own eastern version of the West Coast Conference.

Boom goes the dynamite.

ESPN will work to annihilate the Big East. Because they threatened to go with NBC, the Big East won't exist anymore when their negotiating window with ESPN is over. NO HUGE CONTRACT COMING SDSU/BSU.

Louisville, Notre Dame, UCONN and Rutgers will all be LONG GONE. So will the promised cash.

Dang - if the caller was right ,Notre Dame just called Boise out on a national stage with this move.

ROFL

Pretty weak sauce but ok

Yes they have a point however I think it's cover for the fact everyone knows the BE is a cobbled together Frankenstein and they jsut don't want to burn their bridges by stating the real reasons.

Not sure where you got that info, but Notre Dame never had an agreement for a scheduling alliance in FB with the Big East, as part of their membership for oly sports.

Where did you get the idea that FB and oly sports will receive separate tv deals? The tv deal will be all inclusive, so why do you think the loss of ND won't have an affect for the football side? There's no doubt the loss of ND will have a negative affect on the total dollar amount to be divided among full members, BB and FB only members. To think otherwise would be naive.

So, are you saying BSU and SDSU leaving for the Big East is a real betrayal to the MWC as well?

On November 2, 2005, Notre Dame announced that because it had agreed to a request from the Big East to play teams from that conference each season, it would suspend the Boston College series following the 2010 season. Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese said the conference made the request after Boston College, Miami, and Virginia Tech withdrew from the Big East to join the Atlantic Coast Conference.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

I think this means Louisville is gone to the Big 12 and UConn to the ACC. Cinncinnati could be the Big 12's 12th member.

Comcast is probably phoning ESPN to thank them for reducing the need to overpay for the new Big East media deal. This also means that NBC won't carry the Big East but NBC Sports would.

This should finish the conference switching between the BCS conferences and mid-majors by the end of this year but the question is that will it be the beginning for the mid-majors?

Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs

To say that the Big East losing ND is no big deal is to say BE is better off w/o ND. It isn't.

6 minutes ago

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

On November 2, 2005, Notre Dame announced that because it had agreed to a request from the Big East to play teams from that conference each season, it would suspend the Boston College series following the 2010 season. Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese said the conference made the request after Boston College, Miami, and Virginia Tech withdrew from the Big East to join the Atlantic Coast Conference.

LInk? Never seen anything to support what you're saying here.

515px-Nevada_Wolf_Pack_Txt.svg.png

ESPN will work to annihilate the Big East. Because they threatened to go with NBC, the Big East won't exist anymore when their negotiating window with ESPN is over. NO HUGE CONTRACT COMING SDSU/BSU.

Louisville, Notre Dame, UCONN and Rutgers will all be LONG GONE. So will the promised cash.

Agreed to a degree. An ACC AD did admit that 90 percent of the new ESPN contract was football related and the rest was basketball. The rights to basketball wouldn't be too expensive the likes of NBC, FOX, CBS, and ESPN.

But the spending on football is pretty much done at this point and BSU & SDSU will be getting the leftovers. Sometimes it's better to accept who you are and where you are than taking a huge risk. The presidents of both schools should be lauded for trying to improve football but they made very bad calculations. I wonder what the Big West's media rights deal is like?

Not sure where you got that info, but Notre Dame never had an agreement for a scheduling alliance in FB with the Big East, as part of their membership for oly sports.

Where did you get the idea that FB and oly sports will receive separate tv deals? The tv deal will be all inclusive, so why do you think the loss of ND won't have an affect for the football side? There's no doubt the loss of ND will have a negative affect on the total dollar amount to be divided among full members, BB and FB only members. To think otherwise would be naive.

So, are you saying BSU and SDSU leaving for the Big East is a real betrayal to the MWC as well?

I never stated there were separate FB & BB media deals - that's your assumption. But these negotiations include discussions on how much FB value there is and how much BB value there is before a total number is assigned. As ND wasn't a FB member, and as FB will bring in the largest amount of revenue, it won't be affected by ND's departure.

Sure BB will take a hit. How big a hit is yet to be determined. But for BSU & the other FB only members, it isn't an issue.

As to your betrayal statement, SDSU's departure probably stung some. BSU's less so, only because we haven't been members long. But I'm sure a number of president's were disappointed. But who wouldn't? Then reality sets in, and they move on. Which is what will happen within the BE.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism