Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BroncoOrange

Triple option, chop blocking, and Air Force

So we are playing Air Force this week and once again BSU fans are bitching like crazy about chop blocking. And how they are so worried about getting injuries form it. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it is done in a legal way. Every team does it to some extend, but for some reason Boise State fans bring it up every time we play Air Force. I then bring up how Notre Dame plays a military school every year and if it was so bad, why do they keep scheduling them?

Anyway I want to hear other fans perspective on this? Maybe it isn't just BSU fans that complain like crazy about this? Does your fan base complain and act like a bunch of p*ssies when it comes chop blocking?

I don't see anyone here whining about chop blocking.

If the whining is over on the tinfoil hat board how about we leave it there and save this board for serious discussion rather than perpetuating the idiocy of those on the scout board.

Or at the very least clarify the whining as being from BC nutjobs as opposed to BSU fans.

One of the Final Five..........

I played on an option based team in high school...we did that chop blocking.

Also those option based teams tend to have shorter offensive linemen so they naturally block lower than your normal OL players.

I don't see anyone here whining about chop blocking.

If the whining is over on the tinfoil hat board how about we leave it there and save this board for serious discussion rather than perpetuating the idiocy of those on the scout board.

Or at the very least clarify the whining as being from BC nutjobs as opposed to BSU fans.

It isn't just on that board, I've heard it from other BSU fans too. That is why I wanted to hear what others in the conference thought.

So we are playing Air Force this week and once again BSU fans are bitching like crazy about chop blocking. And how they are so worried about getting injuries form it. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it is done in a legal way. Every team does it to some extend, but for some reason Boise State fans bring it up every time we play Air Force. I then bring up how Notre Dame plays a military school every year and if it was so bad, why do they keep scheduling them?

Anyway I want to hear other fans perspective on this? Maybe it isn't just BSU fans that complain like crazy about this? Does your fan base complain and act like a bunch of p*ssies when it comes chop blocking?

Not about chop blocking. When their defense intentionally kicks our QB, that's when I complain.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

It's part of the game. It helps equalize a size disadvantage in a quick system like the flexbone- the defenders only have to be blocked for a short time for their tackling window to pass, so it doesn't matter if the blocker is on the ground instead of up and ready. Playing against big run it up the gut teams like wisky seem to produce more injuries for the cowboys is what it feels like. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

It isn't just on that board, I've heard it from other BSU fans too. That is why I wanted to hear what others in the conference thought.

ok..........so fans but no one here...yet

BSU fans sure can be a whiny bunch

As someone else said, it's part of the game.  I think AF is going to be a close game

One of the Final Five..........

Funny thing is last time we played we committed the only chop block of the game.

Your fans are morons, because there is a world of difference between a cut block and a chop block.

Awwww..... i was enjoying the discussion on "chop" blocking.   You two had to let the cat out of the bag!

Awwww..... i was enjoying the discussion on "chop" blocking.   You two had to let the cat out of the bag!

BSU fans ++++ about this every year without ever once actually learning the definition of chop blocking.  It's hilarious.

Your fans are morons, because there is a world of difference between a cut block and a chop block.

Yeah as stated, it isn't "chop blocking" which is a straight up illegal play that will get called 9 times out of 10. It is cut blocking that AFA is known for.

I'll come right out and say it (as I have every time we have played AFA), I can't stand playing the Fly Boys.

The first time we played was 2011 I think, and it seemed like every third Defensive play a D Lineman would come hobbling off the field.

No there is nothing illegal about cut blocks. It is just ugly.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

BSU fans ++++ about this every year without ever once actually learning the definition of chop blocking.  It's hilarious.

Actually chop blocks and cut blocks are similar. Just depends on how it is done, basically they mean about he same-thing. A chop block is a cut block that is performed form the back side of a player or while they are engaged with another player. Some people just like to try and sound smart, by claiming they know the real meaning. It about saying like saying a Red Delicious is an apple, but a Gala is not an apple. To get super technical there is a difference, but to most chopping and cutting is the same. Even the NFL rules book refers to cut blocks as a chop block.

But not all chop blocks are illegal. On running plays, offensive linemen can go high-low. The NFL rulebook gives three such situations. Two offensive linemen who had lined up next to each other on the line of scrimmage may chop a player whenever they'd like. Two offensive linemen who had lined up with one or more linemen between them—e.g., a center and a tackle—can chop a player, too, so long as the play is moving toward the block. For instance, a right tackle and a center can chop a defensive end on a run to the right, but not on a run to the left. Backs can chop in concert with linemen, too, so long as the block takes place outside the tackle box.