Warbow

P-5 conferences that BYU would win

All time Utah against the Pac-12: .384

All time BYU against the Pac-12:  .370

And BYU had one if not the best two and a half decade stretches of any non power school in history, no doubt. But Utah and BYU shared a conference for around a hundred years.

Conference titles while in the same conference:

Utah 24

BYU 23

Football did not start and end when Lavell began and ended his coaching career.

Despite both teams douching out in their respective ways - according general MW sentiments - it's nice to see older recollections of reasonably proximate, in-state rivalries...  I'd like to see some nice video comps of any violent, abhorent behavior between their respective fans...

I enjoy our winning percentages over both : 5-2 against Utah, and 3-1 against BYU - soon to be 4-1, God-willing...

New-Signature.jpg

I hate to blame the weather for last years game, but it really was a weird game like that. 

And of course it's only one game.  People react to each week with too much sway either way.  I think we can say that Virginia is probably a better team than we all thought at the start of the year.  If you asked me a month ago I expected a 3 score blowout in that game.  Houston, like last year, turned on only a few plays.  They seem to have a real knack for creating turnovers and weird plays.  I still never felt like BYU was going to lose that game.

UCLA nearly lost to Memphis for hell's sake.  I just don't think the PAC is as good this year as most of us thought it would be.  I mean, you have Arizona having tough games with Nevada and UTSA, you have USC losing back east, you have Oregon playing poorly for half the game against Wyoming and struggling to beat Washington State, Colorado can barely beat Hawaii. 

BYU has some defensive issues to clean up.  It was really quite a poor game defensively.  BYU should have had multiple interceptions and sacks on that team.  The lack of turnovers overall is troubling to me.  Undiscplined play is another issue, with penalties. 

I agree with most of that. Many thought the Pac-12 would contend with the SEC this season, and it looks like there is still a gap and the Pac-12 is 2 or 3 in the P5 this year.

But it also kind of speaks to the weakness of BYU's schedule this season, that it may been even weaker than anticipated as well.

Much of the criticism of schools like Arizona and UCLA is that they did not beat the likes of Texas, Virginia, CAL and Nevada by more. Which will likely be four of BYU's top opponents, that all have L's to teams that are most likely not going to win the Pac-12..

Despite both teams douching out in their respective ways - according general MW sentiments - it's nice to see older recollections of reasonably proximate, in-state rivalries...  I'd like to see some nice video comps of any violent, abhorent behavior between their respective fans...

I enjoy our winning percentages over both : 5-2 against Utah, and 3-1 against BYU - soon to be 4-1, God-willing...

How about this: 

I agree with most of that. Many thought the Pac-12 would contend with the SEC this season, and it looks like there is still a gap and the Pac-12 is 2 or 3 in the P5 this year.

But it also kind of speaks to the weakness of BYU's schedule this season, that it may been even weaker than anticipated as well.

Much of the criticism of schools like Arizona and UCLA is that they did not beat the likes of Texas, Virginia, CAL and Nevada by more. Which will likely be four of BYU's top opponents, that all have L's to teams that are most likely not going to win the Pac-12..

I disagree on that.  I think it's actually stronger than many thought.  Yes, Texas isn't as good as we thought, but teams like Virginia, Nevada, Cal, and maybe a couple others may be stronger than we thought.  BYU has a SoS in the 40s right now and the remaining portion is in the 70s.  Should end up being in the 60s overall somewhere.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Much of the criticism of schools like Arizona and UCLA is that they did not beat the likes of Texas, Virginia, CAL and Nevada by more. Which will likely be four of BYU's top opponents.

It's true BYU anticipated their SOS this year to be much stronger. Seems like everyone we play is having a down year. UCF, the defending BCS bowl champs, are also slumping. That said, our SOS is 77. Not too far removed than the typical MWC SOS. Future scheds look stronger.

I disagree on that.  I think it's actually stronger than many thought.  Yes, Texas isn't as good as we thought, but teams like Virginia, Nevada, Cal, and maybe a couple others may be stronger than we thought.  BYU has a SoS in the 40s right now and the remaining portion is in the 70s.  Should end up being in the 60s overall somewhere.

Yeah, that's probably fair.

Jack, when it comes to BYU fans on message boards, you really are one of a kind. Hard to argue with you. You are a pretty good guy.

It's true BYU anticipated their SOS this year to be much stronger. Seems like everyone we play is having a down year. UCF, the defending BCS bowl champs, are also slumping. That said, our SOS is 77. Not too far removed than the typical MWC SOS. Future scheds look stronger.

Sagarin has us in the high 40s thusfar.  I just don't think it's going to be as bad as people think.

Jason Sehorn was doing analysis on ESPN today and was saying how ECU deserved this and that more than BYU because they'd played a better schedule, and they showed a graphic that had BYU's schedule as tougher than ECU's. 

The schedule will be fine.  You can't control it if teams won't play you, so you do the best you can.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Sagarin has us in the high 40s thusfar.  I just don't think it's going to be as bad as people think.

Jason Sehorn was doing analysis on ESPN today and was saying how ECU deserved this and that more than BYU because they'd played a better schedule, and they showed a graphic that had BYU's schedule as tougher than ECU's. 

The schedule will be fine.  You can't control it if teams won't play you, so you do the best you can.

All undefeated teams should have access to a playoff. 

Is it much harder to go undefeated in a P5 than with a G5 or independent schedule, yep.

Are there times when a 7-5 P5 team might be better than an undefeated G5 team, yep.

But I still have a hard time with any team at the end of the year having zero losses, and not getting a chance to prove they are (or are not) championship material.

Utah should have got a chance in 04 and 08

BSU, Hawaii, and TCU should have had the same opportunities during their BCS seasons (As well as all the Marshall's and Tulane's that ran the table but did not even get a BCS game)

And yes, if BYU runs the table, they should be in a playoff... 8 or 16 team playoff....

Concerning the OP, I don't know if they would win those conferences?

However, they are playing very well so far.

Virginia has something going on out here and the turnovers were the only difference in their two losses. They don't look like a middling ACC team to me.

Regardless, BYU is looking sharp and overcoming adversity like a mature team should. Give credit where credit is due.

Go Pokes!

bronco2.gif

There's obviously a conspiracy going on to marginalized BYU. They should already be in the Top 5. Everyone knows it!!!!!! They. Are. Good.

Taysom hill is a freak of nature. Williams is good. The rest of the team is solid. How far can hill carry the team?

Look out MWC here comes taysom. BYU will run the table in the MWC beating both the west and east winner this year

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Concerning the OP, I don't know if they would win those conferences?

However, they are playing very well so far.

Virginia has something going on out here and the turnovers were the only difference in their two losses. They don't look like a middling ACC team to me.

Regardless, BYU is looking sharp and overcoming adversity like a mature team should. Give credit where credit is due.

What is wrong with you? A poke fan with common sense

BYU would end up at the bottom of those conferences and wouldn't be able to win the MAC, CUSA, SB or AAC. Only chance would be the MWC since they are the weakest D1A conference.

Maybe so but at least we aren't stuck on regional networks for most of our games. Hell I can watch more Wyoming games than an undefeated Utah teams games.

Where can I get the pac12 network cheap. Sure ain't paying to watch a shit USC team

Everyone could cherry pick any time period like the last three years. But when evaluating a school football program's performance and potential for long term success, three years is simply a smidgen of time. I would be reluctant to base Boise States success long term (next 50 yrs) in the pac12 only from their recent success. Likewise, the Pac10 made that error when evaluating Utah. Utah's grossly out of character seasons instilled a miscalculation of Utah's long term football program. Utah's performance thus far is in character to their performance most years and decades while in the WAC and MWC, middle to bottom. That is where Utah is accustomed. BYU is not accustomed to that.

I went back to 2005 to compare BYU's and Utah's success or lack of success to the Pac10/12. I should have gone even further back, and no doubt the numbers are even worse for Utah.

You said that you thought BYU would do better in the PAC 12 than Utah. That would be the time period since 2011 after Utah joined the PAC 12 so that was the time period I used for comparison. It's not cherry picking, it's common sense. A previous poster was right. Your comments are grade school level.

Pac-12

Big 10

Big-12

that is all.

History may repeat itself. No one will give UNLV a chance in hell but they will upset someone this year. I know, I know. UNLV has been pitiful so far. But they have solid potential to beat anyone if they can put 4 quarters together.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/football/1981-upset-byu-endures

If you win a conference, what do you do with it?  I don't think it will fit on a shelf in your man-cave -- although it would be awesome if it did.  Can you put it on e-Bay?

Yoda out...

____________________________________________...

After deleting some of my posts and closing the offending SteveAztec thread, a couple of elites have been able to open it long enough to respond to me anyway.  And since I can’t respond on a closed thread, here is my response…

Other than the initial inquiry, this has never been about letting Steve post again; I doubt that he even wants to post here.  My complaint is about his treatment on this board and the failure of admins to control attacks on him – and worse, to sometimes participate in those attacks.

Steve was first banned on the SDSU board.  When he was banned, it was a sufficiently controversial that they started what became an 8 page thread on the topic to justify the decision (https://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/9747/steve-aztec-longer-member-board).  It is clear that Steve had support in the community and there was some criticism for the Board Administrators for having failed to “expel the dozens of people who've been taunting him.”  (And take a look at the thread that I bumped; initially it was supporters happy about Steve getting a radio show.  Then the haters arrived.)

I can’t say if Steve took it too far in response, but I will say that he denies most of various accusations and adds important missing context to others.  But I wasn’t a party to any of the events and can’t say who is in the right and who is in the wrong.  And I have to admit that if half of what has been said about him is true, depending on context, I might well have banned him too.  Or more likely I might have banned those who were taunting him.  (Steve had lost a brother-in-law to suicide and there have been a number of memes of people blowing their brains out, as well as posts blaming Steve or his sister for the suicide – and admins apparently let it go.)

I am in no position to evaluate the truth or falsity of the laundry list of claims made on this board about how Steve responded to all this.  My complaint, however, is about his treatment on this board.  I may be wrong, but his banning on this board at least appears to have been less about what he did on this board and more a carryover from the SDSU banning.  The same taunting continued – more suicide memes – apparently ignored by the admins. Utenation supposedly posted the first and it is explained away because he didn’t know about the suicide.  But was the post taken down?  Was an apology issued?   Indeed, for years, admins on this board have allowed Steve to be vilified based on little more than anecdotal hearsay.  This is a privately owned board, but it is not a private board – anyone can join.  And more than that, It’s not an anonymous board; people know who Steve.  You have a duty to protect your posters from libelous statements and unproven allegations -- especially when, having been banned themselves, they have no ability to defend themselves.

Even Retrofade (who says he’s not a mod but can post to closed threads) put up a “blowing his brains out” meme several years ago.  He knew that Steve lost his brother-in-law to suicide, and he now says that “Steve is a mentally disturbed individual”, which is libelous by the way, but excuses his meme as nothing more than being in “poor taste”.  Apparently it is okay with the board's current admins to taunt a "mentally disturbed person" because the post has never been taken down.  The poster has never been admonished.  And there has been no apology, unless you consider "he deserved it" to be an apology.

In my view, you owe Steve an apology for the treatment that you have tolerated and, in some cases, engaged in.  A former Aztec board went out of business when sued (not by Steve).  It won’t be the last one.  You need to fix this.  You need to administer your board and prevent libelous and incendiary attacks -- hearsay-- on posters. 

Based on results so far, BYU would be projected at about 3rd in the Big12; if they were a member.  They've already beat the Longhorns, and would be underdogs against OU and Baylor, but probably favored against everyone else, depending on where the game was played.  But going to places like Manhattan, Stillwater, Morgantown and Lubbock and coming away with all W's would be difficult; especially in a transition year.  They'd also have to beat the Frogs, and I'd like our chances based on Patterson's lengthy experience with BYU and Mendenhall.  It would also depend on the scheduling - in TCU's third year in the Big12, this is the first season that we've gotten 5 home conference games (which, combined with the MWC's screwing us in 2011 meant that we played more away conference games for three consecutive years).

The three remaining unbeatens in the Big 12 are Oklahoma, Baylor and TCU - if BYU beat all three, they'd deserve a playoff spot.  TCU's got SMU this week and should win big, but after that, we've got OU, Baylor and Oklahoma State in rapid succession.  We'll find out a lot more about the Frogs in the next few weeks.