Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mars

SDSU- Who can you beat?

Which team is SDSU most likely to beat?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is SDSU most likely to beat?

• @ Colorado State
    • @ Utah
    • New Mexico
    • BYU
    • Wyoming
    • @ UNLV
    • @ Air Force
    • TCU

The Aztecs may have the 4 best MWC teams at home this year, putting their most likely wins all on the road.

I'm not wondering where your first conference win will come, just which game do you feel best about?

Does it really matter? Spaztecs are hopeless, as usual. Nothing ever changes out there.

Thanks for catching that; have to say I was so irritated by your comments that my fingers were out in front of my head. You've got a background in coaching to know what it is like to put a young kid in against a veteran. Very rarely does the youngster fare well. That's the boat this staff was left in; it is unfortunate for all of us fans, but it is what it is. Is the offense better than last year? Yes. Is the defense a mess? Yes. Did the vast majority of people on Atalk severely underestimate UC? Yes. Will we still face these kind of games in the MWC? I'd say BYU yes, as their offense is good. After that, I don't know that anyone's offense is that potent.

So are you saying that this year's sophomores--most of whom played very little, if at all--won't be worth a damn until their senior years? That a player can't be productive until they are seniors?

Yes, we are playing a lot of young guys. A LOT!!! But this experience is going to better prepare them to play next year. The sophomores will be juniors, and the freshmen will be sophomores. Not to mention the number of redshirt freshmen that will be joining the 2 deep next year. I don't see any reason that they can't become solid, productive players with a year of Div. 1-A playing experience under their belts. Otherwise, what's the point? By your estimation, why not just stock up on jucos and nothing else? They can't play until they're seniors anyway!

A good coaching staff should be able to have these guys ready to be competitive in 2008.

Your reasoning applies best to the HS level. HS freshmen are almost always developmentally way behind the juniors and seniors. Generally speaking (and this of course is not always the case) the gap is much narrower from the freshman year in college to the senior year in college.

"Once an Aztec, Always an Aztec"

CSU Fresno: Accepting SDSU's sloppy seconds since 1911.

I was just reading that SDSU has played the 10th toughest sked to this point. Arizona St. is 5-0 and ranked in the top 20. Cincy is 5-0 and ranked in the top 25 and may well be better than ASU. SDSU blew out a team they were supposed to blow out. Maybe the Aztecs will show something this weekend? I honestly don't know what to expect.

Superman watching BYU's 12th man in action.

I still think the SDSU/UNLV comparison is very valid. Last year we bookended a miserable season with wins. Two straight 2 wins seasons, but most of our transfers have not worked out (Rocky, out, Eric Wright to the Pros), and we have largely had to rely on the high school recruits. We have had a somewhat mixed bag with some transfers, some JC and many High school, but it really has been the High School kids who have had to come in and play key roles.

I think our high school kids are finally coming into their own, especially on the lines (the receivers came in pretty good). This year we are at least forcing other teams to take a look at us before gametime, we have already had one upset, and I would not be surprised to see another. We are in our 3rd year of Sanford, and are finally climbing out of the basement. I think next year SDSU is going to be pretty good. In fact, next year could see some serious shake-up in the MWC with an improving UNM, UNLV, WYO and SDSU to challenge the traditional BYU/TCU/Utah upper tier. You think there is parity this year, I think it will be unreal next year.

Just look for little improvements as the year goes on Aztecs. This won't be your year, in fact I have trouble seeing a win on your schedule unless a team gets caught looking past you, or key injuries occur. Learn the UNLV Football Mantra... "There's always basketball season..."

I still think the SDSU/UNLV comparison is very valid. Last year we bookended a miserable season with wins. Two straight 2 wins seasons, but most of our transfers have not worked out (Rocky, out, Eric Wright to the Pros), and we have largely had to rely on the high school recruits. We have had a somewhat mixed bag with some transfers, some JC and many High school, but it really has been the High School kids who have had to come in and play key roles.

I think our high school kids are finally coming into their own, especially on the lines (the receivers came in pretty good). This year we are at least forcing other teams to take a look at us before gametime, we have already had one upset, and I would not be surprised to see another. We are in our 3rd year of Sanford, and are finally climbing out of the basement. I think next year SDSU is going to be pretty good. In fact, next year could see some serious shake-up in the MWC with an improving UNM, UNLV, WYO and SDSU to challenge the traditional BYU/TCU/Utah upper tier. You think there is parity this year, I think it will be unreal next year.

Just look for little improvements as the year goes on Aztecs. This won't be your year, in fact I have trouble seeing a win on your schedule unless a team gets caught looking past you, or key injuries occur. Learn the UNLV Football Mantra... "There's always basketball season..."

In regards to your signature:

GOOD GOD I miss Ed Graney! The Union Tribune should never have let him get away.

In regards to everything else you said:

I agree with just about everything you said. Chuck Long came in here with the idea of building through the high school ranks. Craft, and Tollner before him, had some pretty terrible luck with juco transfers. Most of Crafts jucos never made it onto campus. Can't rely on 'em. This will not be a banner year for Aztec football. We know that. We were hoping for around 4-5 wins this year, with next year being the jump in w/l ratio.

It's gonna take a while. We're just tired of being patient!

Once we are eliminated from bowl contention, do we play Sokoloski more, or even burn Lindley's RS year? Both need the snaps, otherwise there's gonna be too much OJT for next year to be successful

If it were my decision? No on playing Sokoloski more (unless something happens to O'Connell), and HELL NO to burning Lindley's redshirt. Let him keep it so that he has a solid 4 years to potentially be the starter.

If it were my decision? No on playing Sokoloski more (unless something happens to O'Connell), and HELL NO to burning Lindley's redshirt. Let him keep it so that he has a solid 4 years to potentially be the starter.

I would agree with this. Sokolowski can get enough experience this year in mop up time early blowouts. I start O'Connell all year and I don't play Lindley under any circumstance.

So are you saying that this year's sophomores--most of whom played very little, if at all--won't be worth a damn until their senior years? That a player can't be productive until they are seniors?

Yes, we are playing a lot of young guys. A LOT!!! But this experience is going to better prepare them to play next year. The sophomores will be juniors, and the freshmen will be sophomores. Not to mention the number of redshirt freshmen that will be joining the 2 deep next year. I don't see any reason that they can't become solid, productive players with a year of Div. 1-A playing experience under their belts. Otherwise, what's the point? By your estimation, why not just stock up on jucos and nothing else? They can't play until they're seniors anyway!

A good coaching staff should be able to have these guys ready to be competitive in 2008.

Your reasoning applies best to the HS level. HS freshmen are almost always developmentally way behind the juniors and seniors. Generally speaking (and this of course is not always the case) the gap is much narrower from the freshman year in college to the senior year in college.

Where did I say that you have to be a senior before you are any good? Please don't read more in to my comments than what is there. Your moniker says it all "NotalentU." You can't make chicken salad out of .... We are short on talent on both sides of the ball. So why scream about our ineptitude when you clearly understand the reason behind it? The cupboards are being restocked, but it is going to take time. I don't think we make any big splash in the record in 2008 as I think we take a huge step back at Qb; the loss of Craft really hurts here. I think the talent on the team will be better as I think it is this year, but I don't think we see the results until 2009.

Where did I say that you have to be a senior before you are any good? Please don't read more in to my comments than what is there. Your moniker says it all "NotalentU." You can't make chicken salad out of .... We are short on talent on both sides of the ball. So why scream about our ineptitude when you clearly understand the reason behind it? The cupboards are being restocked, but it is going to take time. I don't think we make any big splash in the record in 2008 as I think we take a huge step back at Qb; the loss of Craft really hurts here. I think the talent on the team will be better as I think it is this year, but I don't think we see the results until 2009.

On the topic of Craft leaving us.

What do you (Dshaw) and NotalentU think we will do next year at QB.......

-Let Lindley and Sokolowski battle it out for the starting position?

-Or go get a top notch JC QB to fight for that spot along with Soko and Lindley?

Steve: in listening to CL speak a couple week ago about the Qb situation for next year. He said they would be looking at the JC ranks for a qb. He made no mention of KS when discussing the Qb position. Here's what I found very interesting, on RL he said as best I recall "we really like RL; we think we've got a good one there down the road". The "down the road" part leads me to believe that he may not be ready next year. If that is the case, then I say hit the JC ranks like a hungry dog lookin for a bone and don't comeback till you've got one!

Steve: in listening to CL speak a couple week ago about the Qb situation for next year. He said they would be looking at the JC ranks for a qb. He made no mention of KS when discussing the Qb position. Here's what I found very interesting, on RL he said as best I recall "we really like RL; we think we've got a good one there down the road". The "down the road" part leads me to believe that he may not be ready next year. If that is the case, then I say hit the JC ranks like a hungry dog lookin for a bone and don't comeback till you've got one!

And I'm with you on this one. A team can never have enough good QB's battling for the starting position.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sdsu/s...depth-chart.pdf Mars: take a look at our 2 deep roster. It includes 19 who are either soph, rsf or true freshman.
Thanks for the link, I found it very interesting. The only position on your team without an underclassmen in the 3-deep was SLB, CB, RG, and RT, and all of those contained at least 1 junior.

Young doesn't necessarily mean good, and SDSU isn't the only young team in the conference (Wyoming, BYU) but it does speak with a little hope towards your Aztecs' future.

#20 BYU 14, #3 Oklahoma 13

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#14 BYU 44, #16 Oregon State 20

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

On the topic of Craft leaving us.

What do you (Dshaw) and NotalentU think we will do next year at QB.......

-Let Lindley and Sokolowski battle it out for the starting position?

-Or go get a top notch JC QB to fight for that spot along with Soko and Lindley?

I said it on A-Talk a while back. I think it's Lindley's job to lose (that means he's gonna have to earn it, but I believe he'll get every opportunity to do so. They're not gonna just hand him the keys to the Cadillac--although this team's more of a Hyundai right now). I've heard the juco QB comments too, and it makes sense, especially from a depth standpoint. And competition is never a bad thing.

One thing's for sure: We're gonna find out what the kid's made of.

As for Long, I wouldn't expect him to identify a starter for '08 yet. It wouldn't be smart to do so and make the kid think it's going to be a cakewalk.

By the way dshaw-

I never said we should be contenders for the conference crown next year. I think that would be a major stretch. But I do think that with the experience under their belts, a bowl game is not out of the question. I just think that after struggling mightily this year, these kids might just be ready to start to put it together and take a big step forward. I think you're right in that 2009 has the potential to be the breakout year, but I think we could see a big jump in a lot of ways in '08.

By the way dshaw-

I never said we should be contenders for the conference crown next year. I think that would be a major stretch. But I do think that with the experience under their belts, a bowl game is not out of the question. I just think that after struggling mightily this year, these kids might just be ready to start to put it together and take a big step forward. I think you're right in that 2009 has the potential to be the breakout year, but I think we could see a big jump in a lot of ways in '08.

'08 OOC sked would indicate that we start, or at least better start, 3-1 and maybe even 4-0 if the domers still suck. We've got Cal Poly, SJSU, Idaho and ND. If we don't go to a bowl game next year, Chuck's gonna start feeling some warmth on his hind cheeks.

Superman watching BYU's 12th man in action.

None of the above. They play with no passion or pride. Long has them going in the wrong direction right now and they need some major changes. Where is that grit and chip on the shoulder mentality. They looked like they just thought the game was a practise last night. Ho hum...were behind, ho hum were playing a top 25 BE team, ho hum they just scored again.

:rolleyes:

Maybe UC is pretty good