Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mars

SDSU- Who can you beat?

Which team is SDSU most likely to beat?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is SDSU most likely to beat?

• @ Colorado State
    • @ Utah
    • New Mexico
    • BYU
    • Wyoming
    • @ UNLV
    • @ Air Force
    • TCU

The Aztecs may have the 4 best MWC teams at home this year, putting their most likely wins all on the road.

I'm not wondering where your first conference win will come, just which game do you feel best about?

#20 BYU 14, #3 Oklahoma 13

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#14 BYU 44, #16 Oregon State 20

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

I like our chances at home against Wyoming. Always a close game, and the Cowboys haven't won at the Q since '95

Thanks for that tidbit. That's gotta be erased this year though.

#20 BYU 14, #3 Oklahoma 13

#18 BYU 26, #21 Utah 23

#14 BYU 44, #16 Oregon State 20

#10 BYU 82, Utah 69

#14 BYU 71, Utah 51

#16 BYU 99, Florida 92

None of the above. They play with no passion or pride. Long has them going in the wrong direction right now and they need some major changes. Where is that grit and chip on the shoulder mentality. They looked like they just thought the game was a practise last night. Ho hum...were behind, ho hum were playing a top 25 BE team, ho hum they just scored again.

we'll get 2 maybe 3 wins this year in conference

None of the above. They play with no passion or pride. Long has them going in the wrong direction right now and they need some major changes. Where is that grit and chip on the shoulder mentality. They looked like they just thought the game was a practise last night. Ho hum...were behind, ho hum were playing a top 25 BE team, ho hum they just scored again.

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs

we'll get 2 maybe 3 wins this year in conference

Not if they continue to play like they have in OOC. Sorry but that team looked apathetic. Maybe they dont think OOC games are anything more than tuneups. That seemed to be the attitude. Right now though I dont see one MWC team you can beat, but who knows maybe SDSU will start playing ball by the time conference play begins.

they'll snap out of it, always do, when it doesn't matter.

Not if they continue to play like they have in OOC. Sorry but that team looked apathetic. Maybe they dont think OOC games are anything more than tuneups. That seemed to be the attitude. Right now though I dont see one MWC team you can beat, but who knows maybe SDSU will start playing ball by the time conference play begins.

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs

they'll snap out of it, always do, when it doesn't matter.

My prediction for my Aztecs before the season was 4 wins. And I still think we will get 4.

I think we will get one home win (not sure against who, but I can't see us going winless at home), and 2 on the road.

I think we will beat UNLV on the road and Air Force on the road.

Colorado State? I think CSU is a little tougher than most are giving credit for.

I sit in the first row in the endzone at Qualcomm. Right above the tunnel where the Aztecs exit the field.

The players did not have a "Ho Hum" look coming off at halftime or after the game. Neither did the staff.

They are young and inexperienced. They made a lot of mistakes and they were throughly disgusted with their performance.

They played the best team they will face all year.

It will be a couple of years still until SDSU can field a good team. I think Coach Long's idea of biting the bullet now by passing on JCs in favor of HS preps will ultimatly pay off as it did for CSU Fresno after Sweeney. The Aztec defense is too young in the secondary while lacking the size and depth up front. They're all doing the best they can. It's a bitter pill that SDSU should have taken years ago but didn't. The Aztecs have been trying the JC quick fix for decades with little or no success. It got to the point where they absolutely depended on JCs every year, many of whom never made it onto campus. I am an Aztec alumnus and life long fan, and I'm all for Chuck Long's "long distance runner" approach to building a solid program with the emphasis on prep scholar athletes. The program hit rock bottom before Long arrived. He has the right idea about rebuilding the program. The Aztecs are in the early stages of recovering from years of mis management that has led to shambles for SDSU football. The fans have no choice now but to be patient. The coaching staff is putting this thing together the right way instead of polishing this turd with JCs as others have done before them.

I sit in the first row in the endzone at Qualcomm. Right above the tunnel where the Aztecs exit the field.

The players did not have a "Ho Hum" look coming off at halftime or after the game. Neither did the staff.

They are young and inexperienced. They made a lot of mistakes and they were throughly disgusted with their performance.

They played the best team they will face all year.

Cincinnati is not the best team you will face all year. Frankly this is the worst SDSU team I have ever seen and I never thought I would ever in my dreams see a SDSU team this god awful. This is a SDSU team that historically has been to Michigan and Ohio St when they were in the top 10 and not been smoked like they did at home against a Cincy team that is just barely top 25. Dont pretend that the Aztecs havent played against much better competition. They need to take a little pride, they got a top 25 team on their home turf and came out looking like they werent interested. I swear I almost mailed Long a pinkslip right then and there. Not that I have any say in the matter.

It will be a couple of years still until SDSU can field a good team. I think Coach Long's idea of biting the bullet now by passing on JCs in favor of HS preps will ultimatly pay off as it did for CSU Fresno after Sweeney. The Aztec defense is too young in the secondary while lacking the size and depth up front. They're all doing the best they can. It's a bitter pill that SDSU should have taken years ago but didn't. The Aztecs have been trying the JC quick fix for decades with little or no success. It got to the point where they absolutely depended on JCs every year, many of whom never made it onto campus. I am an Aztec alumnus and life long fan, and I'm all for Chuck Long's "long distance runner" approach to building a solid program with the emphasis on prep scholar athletes. The program hit rock bottom before Long arrived. He has the right idea about rebuilding the program. The Aztecs are in the early stages of recovering from years of mis management that has led to shambles for SDSU football. The fans have no choice now but to be patient. The coaching staff is putting this thing together the right way instead of polishing this turd with JCs as others have done before them.

I'm with you Campy. I still like the way Long is doing it. We won't know if it has worked for another two years.

I would use top notch JC players to fill in key positions only and I think that is what Long is going to do.

Cincinnati is not the best team you will face all year. Frankly this is the worst SDSU team I have ever seen and I never thought I would ever in my dreams see a SDSU team this god awful. This is a SDSU team that historically has been to Michigan and Ohio St when they were in the top 10 and not been smoked like they did at home against a Cincy team that is just barely top 25. Dont pretend that the Aztecs havent played against much better competition. They need to take a little pride, they got a top 25 team on their home turf and came out looking like they werent interested. I swear I almost mailed Long a pinkslip right then and there. Not that I have any say in the matter.

Who have we played this year that is better than Cincinnati and who will we be playing this year that is better than Cincinnati? I await your answer on that.

Don't get me wrong. I am not defending the Aztecs play. They were overmatched by size and speed. We got worked........BUT......

The kids and staff did not take a Ho Hum approach as you suggested.

And you can send in the pinkslip on Long right now if you want, but you would be wrong. Neither you, I, or the rest of the MWC/San Diego fans will know if Long was the right hire, for 2 more years. I don't think you are aware of what he inherited last year and what his overall plan is.

I do welcome all opinions though.

***By the way suralexander, who is your team? Just curious.

Maybe the Aztecs would be a little better right now if they had taken more JCs the last two recruiting classes, but they'd still be locked in that never ending cycle of mediocrity. I think they have to go through this period of ugly loses without the JCs bailing them out. Hopefully, in a few seasons, we'll have a solid bunch of players who have been in the system together for 3-4-5 years. Right now we have a mish-mashing of Craft hold overs and underclassmen. The Aztecs have been dealing with serious depth and injury issues for years now. Add to that all the coaching changes and scandals within the past decade and you have a program in shambles. It's probably best that Chuck Long has decided to scrap the whole old way of doing things: Recruit on the lines heavily, stay mostly away from the JCs, schedule down begining next season, go after solid prep players who will be full qualifiers. SDSU has tried to get this program going by hiring and firing one coach after another since Coryell left. None of it has worked. Finally they are doing what is needed in the long run for this program to become successfull. Ugly losses now is the price of building a quality program the right way for tomorrow.

Maybe the Aztecs would be a little better right now if they had taken more JCs the last two recruiting classes, but they'd still be locked in that never ending cycle of mediocrity. I think they have to go through this period of ugly loses without the JCs bailing them out. Hopefully, in a few seasons, we'll have a solid bunch of players who have been in the system together for 3-4-5 years. Right now we have a mish-mashing of Craft hold overs and underclassmen. The Aztecs have been dealing with serious depth and injury issues for years now. Add to that all the coaching changes and scandals within the past decade and you have a program in shambles. It's probably best that Chuck Long has decided to scrap the whole old way of doing things: Recruit on the lines heavily, stay mostly away from the JCs, schedule down begining next season, go after solid prep players who will be full qualifiers. SDSU has tried to get this program going by hiring and firing one coach after another since Coryell left. None of it has worked. Finally they are doing what is needed in the long run for this program to become successfull. Ugly losses now is the price of building a quality program the right way for tomorrow.

Who have we played this year that is better than Cincinnati and who will we be playing this year that is better than Cincinnati? I await your answer on that.

Don't get me wrong. I am not defending the Aztecs play. They were overmatched by size and speed. We got worked........BUT......

The kids and staff did not take a Ho Hum approach as you suggested.

And you can send in the pinkslip on Long right now if you want, but you would be wrong. Neither you, I, or the rest of the MWC/San Diego fans will know if Long was the right hire, for 2 more years. I don't think you are aware of what he inherited last year and what his overall plan is.

I do welcome all opinions though.

***By the way suralexander, who is your team? Just curious.

BYU...and they have also laid an egg for the conference. Sometimes I am just impatient...I remeber when SDSU was electric and very competitive, last night I saw what was the worst nightmare I could imagine. Also I think Arizona St would punish Cincy. JMO. I also think TCU has a better D, BYU a better offense and UNM a better coach. Maybe Cincy is the best team, I just dont believe it right now. Still, SDSU has usually fared well against eastern schools.

I loved Chuck Long when he was a quarterback at Iowa, and I think he should have beaten Bo Jackson for the Heisman in 1985. But, as a coach for San Diego State, he has taken futility to a new level. I just can't understand how a team that plays in such a fertile recruiting ground can't keep any of San Diego's top prospects playing at home. I know it isn't a long trip to LA to play for USC or UCLA, but you would think at least one or two of the top players each year would want to play for their hometown team.

I'm just glad San Diego State doesn't have to play San Diego. It would be terrible to have a chance to lose to a lower classification team in your own city. For that matter, I'm glad they don't play South Dakota State. San Diego State might not even be the best SDSU in the country.