Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tBSU

OT - BYU is Unconvincing

BYU will have a much higher SOS than the MWC average this year and virtually every year going forward. The folks who say BYU's Indy schedules are no better than they would be in the MWC are delusional.

While I agree that BYU's schedule is better than the average MWC team, is that the bar that you are happy with?

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

While I agree that BYU's schedule is better than the average MWC team, is that the bar that you are happy with?

Yes, because BYU's only other option at this point is to join a G5 conference such as the MWC. It's not realistic to compare it to a P5 bar because it's not an option until an invite comes from the tooth fairy.

BYU is trying to make the best it can out of the hand it's dealt when it comes to exposure, access, money, and scheduling. Independence provides a superior position for at least 3 of the 4.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Though it is limiting to an extent as far as scheduling, I prefer playing essentially the same schools year after year..I like the rivalries and the traditions you get in conference..

'While a school like Nevada can have a magical season it is hard to sustain that over a long stretch..That's why it is nothing short of amazing what Boise did for more than a decade..Still, that sort of success is exceedingly rare..

But you can be a consistent competitor in your conference and that is very satisfying too..The Pack has been playing a lot of their conference mates for many years.  They have also begun new relationships with some great opponents..I enjoy the hell out of playing all the MW schools..

It is fun to get a big time school to come to town and Nevada has done pretty well getting those games..The win a few too..The games against the P-5 on the road are basically just for money..That is a necessary evil but not particularly satisfying..However you can make your bones with a big road win but with the P-5 and selection committee stacking the deck against you it doesn't help much..

I like this conference a lot for a variety of reasons..Though it is likely there will be schools that move on sooner rather than later, it is a very nice conference right now..

Yes, because BYU's only other option at this point is to join a G5 conference such as the MWC. It's not realistic to compare it to a P5 bar because it's not an option until an invite comes from the tooth fairy.

BYU is trying to make the best it can out of the hand it's dealt when it comes to exposure, access, money, and scheduling. Independence provides a superior position for at least 3 of the 4.

While better than the average MWC team, it seems that you could do pretty much the same level of schedules while in the MWC, and have in the past. This may be the best that you can get because of the difficulty of scheduling P5 schools after the first 3 or 4 games of the season, but I think this years schedule particularly is disappointing, and we have only really seen 1 good home schedule since going indy.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

What can you do, really?  The schedules from 2016 on look pretty good to me.  If you stay here, you have to play all the dregs every year and that will always drag your SoS down.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

byu's schedule looks good to me...

It's not bad, but having anywhere from two to four P5 schools on the schedule each season seems a little light for a program that aspires to be the Notre Dame of the West.

Maybe we can just refer to BYU as NDLight......I kinda like it.

WolfPack2014poster_zpsda00ea12.jpg

While better than the average MWC team, it seems that you could do pretty much the same level of schedules while in the MWC, and have in the past. This may be the best that you can get because of the difficulty of scheduling P5 schools after the first 3 or 4 games of the season, but I think this years schedule particularly is disappointing, and we have only really seen 1 good home schedule since going indy.

Nope. Independent schedules are much better than what BYU could do in a G5 conference. Even this year's "bad" schedule will be better than most, if not ALL, MWC schools... just like last year's schedule and just like future schedules will. The MWC isn't the same as it was in the years leading up to Utah and TCU's departure.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

What is our other choice?

If BYU can consistently schedule 4 PAC12 schools per year, and a few other P5s, that is a great Indy schedule.

Also, many BYU fans are glad we still play MWC schools often.

Guest #1Stunner

It's not bad, but having anywhere from two to four P5 schools on the schedule each season seems a little light for a program that aspires to be the Notre Dame of the West.

Maybe we can just refer to BYU as NDLight.  I kinda like it.

We can have our cake and eat it too as an Indy. The dollars and exposure are great.

Hawaii and SDSU need to follow our lead.

If BYU can consistently schedule 4 PAC12 schools per year, and a few other P5s, that is a great Indy schedule.

BYU's Indy scheduling philosophy and priority seems to be shaping up as:

1. P5 schools

2. Top G5 schools

3. Regional Matchups

4. Best that can get otherwise

5. FCS - guessing we'll see one every year going forward

v0icAvfW.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

BYU's Indy scheduling philosophy and priority seems to be shaping up as:

1. P5 schools

2. Top G5 schools

3. Regional Matchups

4. Best that can get otherwise

5. FCS - guessing we'll see one every year going forward

Which category do you place P5 schools with tiny stadiums and fanbases in?  Schools like the Utah Utes...?

Nope. Independent schedules are much better than what BYU could do in a G5 conference. Even this year's "bad" schedule will be better than most, if not ALL, MWC schools... just like last year's schedule and just like future schedules will. The MWC isn't the same as it was in the years leading up to Utah and TCU's departure.

I disagree. Last year was certainly the best schedule we have seen in your independence era, Nevada had a comparable schedule. This year, Fresno's schedule similar. Not saying they are horrible schedules, just very comparable to the best MWC schedule each year.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

I'm loving the look of the 2019 Home schedule.

2019: 3 Home, 3 Road
Aug 29? – WISCONSIN
Sept 7 – @ Virginia
Sept 21 – WASHINGTON * The announcement says Washington travels to Provo in 2019
Sept 14 – SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Oct 12 – BOISE STATE
TBD – @ Washington State ??
[Vegas Bowl?? vs Pac-12]

They are going to have to round that out with some "lesser" teams.

Which category do you place P5 schools with tiny stadiums and fanbases in?  Schools like the Utah Utes...?

1a. Lucky Bastard P5 schools

How did the LA Times reporter put it on the radio?

Utah getting in the Pac-10 was like Ringo getting in the Beatles.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20140820_082014_Chris-Dufresne-WEB.mp3

Guest #1Stunner

I disagree. Last year was certainly the best schedule we have seen in your independence era, Nevada had a comparable schedule. This year, Fresno's schedule similar. Not saying they are horrible schedules, just very comparable to the best MWC schedule each year.

If the Utes didn't have a losing record, our Strength of Schedule would be higher.

Actually, looking out our schedules a few years out, Tom Holmoe is getting us much better schedules than we had in the MWC.

Yeah, if they could have a schedule with 4 Pac 12 schools and a few other P5's, that would be a great indy schedule. I have never seen that. If they can pull that off I will tip my hat to them.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner

the "they own us category?" :cheer:

The Utes yes...recently....

But since the Utes' recruiting level is essentially the same as it was when they were in the MWC, I think as a BYU fan that I'm not worried at all about beating Utah in the future.  If Utah makes the huge mistake hiring a coach to replace Whittingham (in 2 years) who doesn't recruit Mormons, then BYU will be set even more.

Other P5's that are similar to Utah:

Washington State

Kansas

Oregon State

Purdue

Indiana

These schools are fun to schedule, but not the challenge of the big dogs.