Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reb Baron

Rebels' hole in middle widens

Roberson's decision to transfer depletes shallow center pool

By MATT YOUMANS

REVIEW-JOURNAL

As it turned out, the rumors about Lamar Roberson's demise at UNLV were not exaggerated. The sophomore forward left the basketball team in what was not a surprise move.

Rebels coach Lon Kruger said he learned of Roberson's decision to transfer Wednesday night.

Roberson was close to quitting the team on at least two prior occasions. He was absent from a practice in late November but returned and played through the nonconference season.

"We're disappointed for Lamar that it didn't work out for him, and we hope it goes well wherever he ends up," Kruger said after Thursday's practice. "He's been on the edge of going either direction."

UNLV (11-3) opens its Mountain West Conference schedule Saturday at Colorado State (6-7).

The loss of the 6-foot-8-inch Roberson leaves the Rebels with three players who can fill the center position -- 6-8 Matt Shaw, 6-7 Joe Darger and 6-6 Rene Rougeau.

Roberson, unhappy with his limited role on the team, averaged 3.8 points and 3.2 rebounds in 13 games off the bench. He sat out the Dec. 8 game against Fresno State for disciplinary reasons.

In his final game at UNLV on Sunday, Roberson scored two points in 10 minutes in an 81-64 victory over Minnesota.

"Lamar always kind of works hard when he wants to. He didn't fit into this program as well as he liked," Darger said. "We definitely could have used Lamar if he would have just bought into the system and worked hard.

"He did bring something to the table, with blocked shots and rebounds, but we'll be fine without him. He's a great kid, and I hope the best for him."

Kruger has three players committed for the Rebels' 2008 recruiting class. With a fourth scholarship now available, it's a good bet Kruger won't look for a transfer from Houston.

Roberson, from Baton Rouge, La., spent his freshman year at Houston before transferring to UNLV, where he practiced with the team while sitting out last season.

After this season's first game, 6-10 junior center Emmanuel Adeife, another transfer from Houston, complained about a lack of playing time and was dismissed by Kruger.

Roberson's effort in some practices was questionable, and his game production also was inconsistent.

He shot 21-for-51 from the field and 8-for-20 on free throws and had 19 turnovers, 12 assists and 10 blocked shots. He averaged 13.5 minutes per game.

Roberson played a season-low four minutes in the Rebels' loss to Arizona on Dec. 19. He had his best game three days later with eight points and seven rebounds in a victory over Tennessee-Martin.

2me1q87.jpg

Roberson's decision to transfer depletes shallow center pool

By MATT YOUMANS

REVIEW-JOURNAL

As it turned out, the rumors about Lamar Roberson's demise at UNLV were not exaggerated. The sophomore forward left the basketball team in what was not a surprise move.

Rebels coach Lon Kruger said he learned of Roberson's decision to transfer Wednesday night.

Roberson was close to quitting the team on at least two prior occasions. He was absent from a practice in late November but returned and played through the nonconference season.

"We're disappointed for Lamar that it didn't work out for him, and we hope it goes well wherever he ends up," Kruger said after Thursday's practice. "He's been on the edge of going either direction."

UNLV (11-3) opens its Mountain West Conference schedule Saturday at Colorado State (6-7).

The loss of the 6-foot-8-inch Roberson leaves the Rebels with three players who can fill the center position -- 6-8 Matt Shaw, 6-7 Joe Darger and 6-6 Rene Rougeau.

Roberson, unhappy with his limited role on the team, averaged 3.8 points and 3.2 rebounds in 13 games off the bench. He sat out the Dec. 8 game against Fresno State for disciplinary reasons.

In his final game at UNLV on Sunday, Roberson scored two points in 10 minutes in an 81-64 victory over Minnesota.

"Lamar always kind of works hard when he wants to. He didn't fit into this program as well as he liked," Darger said. "We definitely could have used Lamar if he would have just bought into the system and worked hard.

"He did bring something to the table, with blocked shots and rebounds, but we'll be fine without him. He's a great kid, and I hope the best for him."

Kruger has three players committed for the Rebels' 2008 recruiting class. With a fourth scholarship now available, it's a good bet Kruger won't look for a transfer from Houston.

Roberson, from Baton Rouge, La., spent his freshman year at Houston before transferring to UNLV, where he practiced with the team while sitting out last season.

After this season's first game, 6-10 junior center Emmanuel Adeife, another transfer from Houston, complained about a lack of playing time and was dismissed by Kruger.

Roberson's effort in some practices was questionable, and his game production also was inconsistent.

He shot 21-for-51 from the field and 8-for-20 on free throws and had 19 turnovers, 12 assists and 10 blocked shots. He averaged 13.5 minutes per game.

Roberson played a season-low four minutes in the Rebels' loss to Arizona on Dec. 19. He had his best game three days later with eight points and seven rebounds in a victory over Tennessee-Martin.

really, the subject line of this article was all that I needed to make my day. Thank you for posting.

really, the subject line of this article was all that I needed to make my day. Thank you for posting.

Aren't you a UNR fan? If I remember that right, it's too late for anything to make your day. Your eroding program's last chance to dominate a building UNLV team was last year, and they blew it. This year, even though he left after The Rebels schooled UNR, Roberson having never been at UNLV wouldn't change that outcome.

That is TWO players that have quit or been kicked off this Rebel team this season. Kruger seems to be having some issues with keeping the talent happy. Sure, the walk-ons are all smiles but the talent seems to be packing their $hit and leaving.

This is not good news for UNLV or Lon Kruger lovers. Another one bites the dust.

Guest ragtimeJOE

That is TWO players that have quit or been kicked off this Rebel team this season. Kruger seems to be having some issues with keeping the talent happy. Sure, the walk-ons are all smiles but the talent seems to be packing their $hit and leaving.

This is not good news for UNLV or Lon Kruger lovers. Another one bites the dust.

Not bashing you Rob, but you kind of remind me of Chicken Little. Always the same message, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!"

I hope everything works out for the young man. It sucks when kids quit, transfer, or whatever.

Aren't you a UNR fan? If I remember that right, it's too late for anything to make your day. Your eroding program's last chance to dominate a building UNLV team was last year, and they blew it. This year, even though he left after The Rebels schooled UNR, Roberson having never been at UNLV wouldn't change that outcome.

Kruger has done a great job down there, but we all knew this year would be tough for Nevada to beat UNLV.....the team is just too young and lost too much. But there is some real talent on the team and a top 20 recruiting class. As good as your two big men that you signed are, Nevada landed Babbit, who has schooled two of the top 10 players in the nation, head to head. Nevada also recruited another 4 star players and a very good PG from Texas......Nevada and UNLV will have some epic battles, but this is not over by a long shot.

Both players left because they weren't happy with their playing time.

Both players transfered to UNLV from Houston

They left there because of ....are you ready....drum roll please......

...................lack of playing time.

They were just too ready for prime time but prime time wasn't ready for them and they didn't think they should have to wait.

Good luck to both of them but I think with their histories their options are quickly fading.

2me1q87.jpg

Both players left because they weren't happy with their playing time.

Both players transfered to UNLV from Houston

They left there because of ....are you ready....drum roll please......

...................lack of playing time.

They were just too ready for prime time but prime time wasn't ready for them and they didn't think they should have to wait.

Good luck to both of them but I think with their histories their options are quickly fading.

If Kruger is so great, why is he bringing in guys with attitude problems?

If Kruger is so terrific at developing talent, why wasn't he able to accomplish anything with these two guys?

Maybe Kruger is losing it? In fact, after watching Rougeau and Terrible Terry start I think I can confirm the man has lost it.

Enjoy watching the Kruger Krap! I will have no part of it. Miserable brand of basketball and that is why the arena sits empty.