Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utenation

Final Football Rankings

Okay, now that all the emotion of our season is over, how would you rank the teams? Would you vary from the actual rankings?

My rankings:

BYU

Utah

AFA

UNM

TCU

SDSU

Wyo

UNLV

CSU

So my differences are AFA and UNLV... My reasoning: I think Utah was playing better at the end of the season than AFA and our head to head match-up was within 8 points with a very depleted Utah team.. I've ranked AFA ahead of Utah all year but I can't anymore.. I think AFA had a great year and deserves tons of props for their turn around.. KW deserves major props too for holding Utah together and went 3-1 in OOC play and 2-1 against BCS teams..

UNLV: Even with one less win, UNLV showed me more spirit than CSU and were in more ballgames...

How would you rank them?

Okay, now that all the emotion of our season is over, how would you rank the teams? Would you vary from the actual rankings?

My rankings:

BYU

Utah

AFA

UNM

TCU

SDSU

Wyo

UNLV

CSU

So my differences are AFA and UNLV... My reasoning: I think Utah was playing better at the end of the season than AFA and our head to head match-up was within 8 points with a very depleted Utah team.. I've ranked AFA ahead of Utah all year but I can't anymore.. I think AFA had a great year and deserves tons of props for their turn around.. KW deserves major props too for holding Utah together and went 3-1 in OOC play and 2-1 against BCS teams..

UNLV: Even with one less win, UNLV showed me more spirit than CSU and were in more ballgames...

How would you rank them?

The same as you have them.

SDSU I think has disapointed me more then any other team in our conference. This team should be competing for a Conference Championship year in and year out. They have the most players in the NFL in our conference.

Next season should be very interesting.

MOST HATED TEAM IN AMERICA!!!!! DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!!

BUCK WITH BRONCO AND BYU OR BUCK THE HELL OFF!!!!

BYU

Utah

AFA

UNM

TCU

SDSU

Wyo

CSU

UNLV

The only reason I have CSU head of UNLV is because of the last two games. Once they got their feet under them and beat GSU and UW, they looked a lot better. I think that CSU showed they were a little better with those last two wins. Wyo would have been ahead of SDSU without that terrible meltdown the second half of the season

I would agree with the rankings but my gut tells me that AFA and Utah should be tied at #2. Fact is they beat us and they played Cal very tough in the bowl. If fact I might even put AFA a couple of % points ahead of the Utes.

MWC Champions 1999, 2003, 2004, 2008

Fiesta Bowl Champions 2005

Sugar Bowl Champions 2009

I'd switch the Frogs and New Mexico. I don't know what the Lobos did to impress enough to forget about the shut-out, +++ whoopin TCU put on them.

What do you base ranking NM over TCU anyway?

Conference standings:

BYU 8-0

AFA 6-2

Utah 5-3

UNM 5-3 (Utah won head-to-head)

TCU 4-4

SDSU 3-5

CSU 2-6

Wyo 2-6 (CSU won head-to-head)

UNLV 1-7

I think you can make logical arguments for some changes but that is the starting point most people would use.

My rankings:

BYU

Utah

AFA

UNM

TCU

SDSU

Wyo

UNLV

CSU

How would you rank them?

What strikes me is that we have 5 teams which are clearly separated from the other 4 in terms of quality and strength. BYU through TCU (in that list) in are all respectable teams (Wyo was in that list until the end of the season). Last year I think we only had 2-3 teams which I'd place in the same category as those 5.

Conference standings:

BYU 8-0

AFA 6-2

Utah 5-3

UNM 5-3 (Utah won head-to-head)

TCU 4-4

SDSU 3-5

CSU 2-6

Wyo 2-6 (CSU won head-to-head)

UNLV 1-7

I think you can make logical arguments for some changes but that is the starting point most people would use.

That's were I would start with my rankings too...

:unsure:

My rankings:

BYU

Utah

AFA

UNM

TCU

SDSU

Wyo

UNLV

CSU

How would you rank them?

I would agree with that as well.

Looking forward to next year.

Just curious, why so low with AFA?

Top 5 were bowl teams. Don't think as #5 as low, just last amongst our bowl teams. This was a very solid year for our conference with the exception of getting our champ to the big prize. Should be equally as good next year.

Here are my choices:

BYU

Utah

TCU

Air Force

UNM

Wyoming

Colorado St.

San Diego St

UNLV

Probably shows my bias a bit, and I think the AF/UNM/TCU trio were pretty close. I also thought CSU was better than others had them.

FWIW, here are the Sagaring predictor ratings before the bowls:

20. BYU

27. Utah

48. TCU

51. Air Force

61. UNM

75. CSU

86. San Diego St.

88. Wyoming

102. UNLV

I'd switch the Frogs and New Mexico. I don't know what the Lobos did to impress enough to forget about the shut-out, +++ whoopin TCU put on them.

What do you base ranking NM over TCU anyway?

What is the difference between the 37-0 shutout TCU put on UNM and the 27-0 blanking UNLV hit Utah with?

Why is one considered mere aberation, and the other some kind of revelation on the state of the program. And why in any calculation, would AFA be ranked ahead of UNM in the final standings, when UNM BEAT AFA and AFA was the only MWC team to loose their bowl game, against a team that finished the season with 6 losses in 7 games no less?

Here are my rankings:

BYU: 16-0 in the conference over the past 2 seasons. 2 Bowl wins over Pac10

AFA: Tough loss to Cal. Carney looked great and the Falcons were rolling until he went down. Still, fine season Falcons.

Utah: Good win over a tough Navy squad. Even with the early season stumbling I still think AFA gives them fits.

UNM:Got the monkey off their back. Good year for the Lobos.

TCU: Rough middle stretch of the season but finished well over a feisty Houston team.

SDSU: Is Chuck Long the answer in San Diego? A positive step forward this season. Early season trip to South Bend next year will be telling.

CSU: Good wins to finish the year on a positive note. Several tight contests that they just couldn't find a way to win.

Wyo: What happened in Laramie? What a mess.

UNLV: Flashes of brilliance (27-0) and then reality that it is UNLV sets in.

TMays360-vi.pngHarveyUnga11Cover.png

What is the difference between the 37-0 shutout TCU put on UNM and the 27-0 blanking UNLV hit Utah with?

Why is one considered mere aberation, and the other some kind of revelation on the state of the program. And why in any calculation, would AFA be ranked ahead of UNM in the final standings, when UNM BEAT AFA and AFA was the only MWC team to loose their bowl game, against a team that finished the season with 6 losses in 7 games no less?

I think difference is that UNLV and Utah aren't close in the rankings. TCU and UNM are close, so a blowout, dominant win by one can tip the scales when directly comparing them.

I think BYU and Utah were the top 2 teams (although each had their warts), then a small gap to TCU/AF/UNM, then a big gap to Wyo/CSU/SDSt/UNLV. Hard to separate the last four, too, since they each had a few bright spots- no one was completely inept this year.

Final Season Power Rankings. Power rankings are just an opinion of who is the best team at a given point in time.

1. BYU

2. Utah - IMO Utah eventually became better than AFA.

3. Air Force

4. TCU

5. New Mexico - I would rather put UNM ahead of TCU but since the Frogs KILLED them I can't make a case for it.

6. SDSU

7. CSU

8. Wyo

9. UNLV

Power rankings going into 2008 season

The first two are easy choices imo

1. BYU Lose a lot of defense, but return most of the offense. The key is retaining defensive coaching staff because they've proven they can plug in average walk-on athletes and still have a good defense. Rebuilding the defense shouldn't be too much of a concern if the staff remains in tact.

2. Utah The Utes lose a couple of good DLs but return a lot of talent almost everywhere else. Losing Tate won't hurt Utah at all. They will still have the best secondary in the conference. They are the team best equipped in the conference to absorb the lossses from attrition. Utah will make UNLV scream in agony for laughing at them.

This is where it gets tougher.

3. New Mexico. UNM will not be as good as the 2007 team, but still pretty good. UNM seems to hold pretty steady year-to-year.

4. Wyo. Even as I type this I know Wyo will screw it up and not go to a bowl. And if that happens Joe Glenn should get fired --unless the Wyoming AD is ok with not ever going to a bowl game. Wyoming returns a lot of players so they should be a challenge for everybody.

5. TCU. The Texas Bowl led me to believe that TCU's offensive woes will not be fixed between now and Sept. I just don't see the playmakers. Aaron Brown doesn't appear to have the durability to carry more of an offensive load and they need him to.

6. CSU. I'm just guessing Fairchild rejeuvenates the Rams somewhat. I still worry that the defense is too soft and the OL can't block that well.

7. Air Force. If Calhoun can get AFA to play well after losing all of those seniors then AFA will be a beast in the league for years to come. But I think they lose too much and will have a significant dropoff.

8. SDSU. IMO, O'Connell was the Aztec team and he is gone. It almost seems like the Aztecs were better off with Craft.

9. UNLV. The only thing I'm anxious to see about UNLV is if Sanford flips off Kwhitt after he orders an onsides kick in the fourth quarter up 56-0.

We don't play Ucla next season. Opener is vs. Cal Poly. Travel to South Bend week two.

SDSU: Is Chuck Long the answer in San Diego? A positive step forward this season. Opener with UCLA next year will be telling.

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs