Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e-zone99

Wanted Boise St fans...

leaving for the NFL. Did you think this might happen? Who do you see plugging the huge whole on the OL, needing to replace Ryan Clady-LT, Tad Miller-LG, Jeff Cavender-C, and Dan Gore? That's replacing 149 starts between the 4 of them.... At least Andrew Woodruff returns with 25 starts under his belt...

BSU's Clady will leave for the NFL, link;

http://idahostatesman.com/273/story/252505.html

Now what's the chance of Ian Johnson testing the NFL waters now, with Boise St having to replace so many starters on the OL?

2005- Rushing 119- 663 yards, 4 TD's; Receiving 5- 46 yards

2006- Rushing 276- 1,714 yards, 25 TD's; Receiving 8- 55 yards

2007- Rushing 207- 1,041 yards, 16 TD's; Receiving 25- 325 yards, 1 TD

IMO, this might be the best time for Ian to do this.... Jeremy Avery (103- 672 yards, 8 TD's) has proved that he should get his touches by averaging yards per carry than Ian (Ian- 5.0 vs Jeremy- 6.5). Thus 2008 could mean less touches for Ian 150-170, so Jeremy can get around 150. Plus more than likely the OL will not be as strong with out 4 year starters Miller & Cavender and 3 year starter Clady. Plus Ryan Putman will be gone also, Richie Brockel will fill in nicely for Putman, but about half the time Boise St used both in the game (Putman at TE and Brockel at FB).

So what's your thought's? Boise St D should be more than solid, but if the O struggles it will put more pressure on the D (just Ask TCU fans)...

:unsure:

leaving for the NFL. Did you think this might happen? Who do you see plugging the huge whole on the OL, needing to replace Ryan Clady-LT, Tad Miller-LG, Jeff Cavender-C, and Dan Gore? That's replacing 149 starts between the 4 of them.... At least Andrew Woodruff returns with 25 starts under his belt...

Now what's the chance of Ian Johnson testing the NFL waters now, with Boise St having to replace so many starters on the OL?

IMO, this might be the best time for Ian to do this.... Jeremy Avery (103- 672 yards, 8 TD's) has proved that he should get his touches by averaging yards per carry than Ian (Ian- 5.0 vs Jeremy- 6.5). Thus 2008 could mean less touches for Ian 150-170, so Jeremy can get around 150. Plus more than likely the OL will not be as strong with out 4 year starters Miller & Cavender and 3 year starter Clady. Plus Ryan Putman will be gone also, Richie Brockel will fill in nicely for Putman, but about half the time Boise St used both in the game (Putman at TE and Brockel at FB).

So what's your thought's? Boise St D should be more than solid, but if the O struggles it will put more pressure on the D (just Ask TCU fans)...

i angreed.

We knew about Clady all year, just assumed he would go. He is probably a first round pick so we'd of been surprised if he stayed.

I expect Ian will stay. He isn't a big guy so he'll probably want to bulk up a little more before he goes, and I don't know if he'll stick in the NFL.

You know about Avery but there is another guy. Redshirt freshman Doug Martin is getting a lot of buzz. Look for RB by comittee next year.

Yes, O-line is an issue. We do get an injured guy back who was projected to be a starter this year, but still ...... big concern. A lot of Bronco fans are looking ahead to 2009 as the next BIG year.

We knew about Clady all year, just assumed he would go. He is probably a first round pick so we'd of been surprised if he stayed.

I expect Ian will stay. He isn't a big guy so he'll probably want to bulk up a little more before he goes, and I don't know if he'll stick in the NFL.

You know about Avery but there is another guy. Redshirt freshman Doug Martin is getting a lot of buzz. Look for RB by comittee next year.

Yes, O-line is an issue. We do get an injured guy back who was projected to be a starter this year, but still ...... big concern. A lot of Bronco fans are looking ahead to 2009 as the next BIG year.

I guess I don't know if Ian is helping himself at making it to the NFL... His numbers could go down quite a bit in 2008... I really love Ian's heart, he reminds me of Brock and how much heart he had. Brock would always giving his all... Now if you have Ian, Jeremy, and this young Doug Martin (I hadn't heard the buzz yet) splitting the touches it may hurt his numbers, plus with a inexperienced OL leading the way... Then their is alway the added risk of going down with an injury.

On the flip side-- not having to carry the work load should keep him fresher, healthier, and one more year of the development of his game. Also if he runs for a good average and scores TD's with a inexperienced OL it could be a statement year for him..

Clady did the right thing leaving early. He is a lock 1st round pick and possible top 10 pick. That will be huge for Boise State recruiting.

We have some stud O-line talent in the wings. What some people dont remember is that BSU's O-line was plagued with unjuries in the off season this past year. We returned a lot of the starters but they had to play at different positions on the line then they were used to. If we dont get the injury bug and our redshirts and back ups play in the position they have been practicing for the last year they should gell nicely with out much drop off.

We return ever running back on the depth chart plus freshmen phenom Doug Martin. We return 7 of the 8 top WR's and all 3 starters. All our QB's are more talented then TT and all are well coached and have a good grasp of the play book. The O should be pretty good next year.

On defense we return 8 starters if you count wynterswyk(sp?) who was our best linemen this year. Our scout team D-line was bigger, faster and better then our starting D-line was this year.

Just my 2 cents on next years BSU team.

Clady did the right thing leaving early. He is a lock 1st round pick and possible top 10 pick. That will be huge for Boise State recruiting.

We have some stud O-line talent in the wings. What some people dont remember is that BSU's O-line was plagued with unjuries in the off season this past year. We returned a lot of the starters but they had to play at different positions on the line then they were used to. If we dont get the injury bug and our redshirts and back ups play in the position they have been practicing for the last year they should gell nicely with out much drop off.

We return ever running back on the depth chart plus freshmen phenom Doug Martin. We return 7 of the 8 top WR's and all 3 starters. All our QB's are more talented then TT and all are well coached and have a good grasp of the play book. The O should be pretty good next year.

On defense we return 8 starters if you count wynterswyk(sp?) who was our best linemen this year. Our scout team D-line was bigger, faster and better then our starting D-line was this year.

One would thing if the scout DL was better than the starter, the Boise St coaches were not doing their job correctly and should have been starting the better players...

Now what about Fresno St? Some of their fans seem to think they could be the WAC's next BC$ Bowl team... Needless to say I don't follow them all that close so I don't know how much of their OL returns... I do however know they loose Ryan Wendell 1st Team All-WAC and a 47 game starter and I believe he was the center. They also loose Tyler Clutts-DE (23.5 sacks during his FSU career) who 1st Team All-WAC and 2nd Team All-WAC last year and Charles Tolbert who has been a pretty solid DT for Fresno St. But the Biggest whole could be the one left by Marcus Rilley-LB WAC D POY and 1st Team All-WAC. Fresno St seems to have pretty good depth in their DB's so the loss of Damon Jenkins should not be hard felt. But the bottom line is in 2007 Fresno St's D was not that impressive even with Marcus Riley and Tyler Clutts, so will they be improved or about the same in 2008?

Personally I like Boise St to win the WAC in 2008 with Hawaii and Fresno St having to come to the Blue. Also I feel Boise St will have by far the best D in the WAC in 2008. IMO, Boise St has done so well in the WAC because their D is normally the best or close to the best year after year and their O is always in the top 3 in the WAC.

Like ezone said, if all of these "talented" players were better than the starters (your QB as well,) why were they on the scout team?

Every team has "scout team legends". There's always a reason why they're on the scout team. I think your coaching staff is smart enough to put the best players on the field.

"Had to come back real quick for this one.....

Boise St finished 4th in the coaches poll, same as Utah. Had Petersen violated the rules and voted Boise St #1 like Whittingham, Boise St would have finished no worse than THIRD and very likely 2nd. Look at how few votes seperated BSU and Florida.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2009/seasontype/3

PWNED." -- IanforHeisman

www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/index.php?showtopic=23865

I'm a little nervous about next years team. Since our conference is so crappy, we should still win 8-10 games. We have Hawaii and Fresno at home, so our record might be inflated a bit, similar to how we were in 2004 and 2007. We will also have a new quarterback, likely to be an underclassman. Word is, Scandrick (our best cb) is declaring as well. His loss will be pretty big, way bigger than if Ian declared. I think Ian should stay in school and get a degree, because he doesn't appear to be a NFL running back. I love his heart and he makes big plays, but that may have been a product of a great offensive line, and he would be the first to tell you this. He is too prone to injury, and not too explosive, and he doesn't break many tackles. He is a patient runner, which may work with some NFL systems, but most want someone who will explode through the line. That is not Ian Johnson. We're pretty loaded at rb and wr, but with an inexperienced qb and offensive line, it could be a frustrating season for us. Maybe you won't have to hear from bluerules or ianforheisman so much. My fellow trolls will be out in full force in 2009 though. I apologize in advance for this.

Like ezone said, if all of these "talented" players were better than the starters (your QB as well,) why were they on the scout team?

Every team has "scout team legends". There's always a reason why they're on the scout team. I think your coaching staff is smart enough to put the best players on the field.

You redshirt people to build a program.

BSU very seldom plays true freshman there is just no reason when you can get them for 4 years after they have a year in a strength program.

BSU isnt a one year wonder like Utah and they dont sell out the future of the program for a quick fix.

They as a rule try to redshirt everyone and dont recruit many JC transfers.

I was actually suprised that BSU played 3 true freshman in 2007, that was a record. Usually at most 1 guy will not redshirt from a class.

You redshirt people to build a program.

BSU very seldom plays true freshman there is just no reason when you can get them for 4 years after they have a year in a strength program.

BSU isnt a one year wonder like Utah and they dont sell out the future of the program for a quick fix.

They as a rule try to redshirt everyone and dont recruit many JC transfers.

I was actually suprised that BSU played 3 true freshman in 2007, that was a record. Usually at most 1 guy will not redshirt from a class.

I must admit it is funny seeing bluerules as the only one sitting there viewing this thread... a fisherman with his bait in the water waiting. :P

Word is, Scandrick (our best cb) is declaring as well. His loss will be pretty big, way bigger than if Ian declared. I think Ian should stay in school and get a degree, because he doesn't appear to be a NFL running back. I love his heart and he makes big plays, but that may have been a product of a great offensive line, and he would be the first to tell you this. He is too prone to injury, and not too explosive, and he doesn't break many tackles. He is a patient runner, which may work with some NFL systems, but most want someone who will explode through the line. That is not Ian Johnson. We're pretty loaded at rb and wr, but with an inexperienced qb and offensive line, it could be a frustrating season for us. Maybe you won't have to hear from bluerules or ianforheisman so much. My fellow trolls will be out in full force in 2009 though. I apologize in advance for this.

Boy I hope not, because Orlando is not ready for that step IMO.... It would help if he had a couple All-WAC honors under his belt, but he has yet to make even 2nd Team All-WAC in his 3 years playing for Boise St. So I really hope he decides to stay for his Sr year, because IMO his chances of sticking to a NFL team aren't the best this year... But if he feels he must take the jump I hope he already has his degree...

Boy I hope not, because Orlando is not ready for that step IMO.... It would help if he had a couple All-WAC honors under his belt, but he has yet to make even 2nd Team All-WAC in his 3 years playing for Boise St. So I really hope he decides to stay for his Sr year, because IMO his chances of sticking to a NFL team aren't the best this year... But if he feels he must take the jump I hope he already has his degree...

####################

Scandrick signed with an agent this week, his is now officially gone, thats two this year.

Cladyleaving was smart on his part, he will be a very wealthy young man later this year,

well deserved to, nice family.

Scandrick is quite a different thing, his agent says a 4 or 5 round pick but should prepare for

maybe a 6 or lower pick. Hummm, Coach Pete tried to tell him to wait one more year, he was getting

better and it would be to his advantage. Everyone knows when your 21 or 22 its all about the thought of

playing in the NFL and driving that new Jaguar, and a ear full of diamonds. UGH.

GO BRONCOS

Ian Johnson won't leave for the NFL this year from what I've heard. Like others have mentioned I too would be surprised if he ever played in the NFL. He has a ton of heart but I don't think he has the body to withstand the punishment.

Its hard to fault anyone for leaving when they are in line for a lottery type payout from NFL. Clady is a certain first day guy and could very well go in the first half of the first round. Scandrick leaving was a surprise. I hope that works out for him and he gets a decent draft slot. I think he is a day 2 guy though, if he gets drafted at all.

Ian Johnson won't leave for the NFL this year from what I've heard. Like others have mentioned I too would be surprised if he ever played in the NFL. He has a ton of heart but I don't think he has the body to withstand the punishment.

Its hard to fault anyone for leaving when they are in line for a lottery type payout from NFL. Clady is a certain first day guy and could very well go in the first half of the first round. Scandrick leaving was a surprise. I hope that works out for him and he gets a decent draft slot. I think he is a day 2 guy though, if he gets drafted at all.

Yeah Ian has been injured almost every season. Frankly he's a good runner when he's given a stellar line to open holes for him, but he isn't physical enough for the NFL. Clady was a smart move because linemen have a short life anyway and he'll go first round. Scandrick is just stupid, unless his family really needs the money. I'm frankly pretty concerned about next year's BSU team, with replacing our entire o-line and qb. Add to that our best cb leaving and a lackluster d-line/lb core coming back. Because most of the WAC is weak and we have our main opponents at home (Fresno/Hawaii) we should win 10 games, but we will not be a juggernaut like in 2004/2006. Oregon will smoke us and Southern Miss will come close.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

No, BSU will red shirt players when ever possible. The freshmen on the D-line who we didn't red shirt was by far our best D-linemen this year. I never said that the other QB's were better, just more talented, which is 100% true. Red shirting your best players pay's back huge in the long run.

Guest ragtimeJOE

Clady was a smart move because linemen have a short life anyway and he'll go first round.

Not saying it was or was not a good move by Clady, but are linemen really short lived in the NFL? Let me qualify that "are good linemen really that short lived in the NFL"? I always thought that O Line had pretty good longevity in the NFL.

This might turn out to be a pretty good draft if your team is in need of O-Line. I'll have to find my list again, but if I remember right there are quite a few solid prospects that teams should be able to get in rounds 2-4 and some pretty good linemen will go in the first.

Not saying it was or was not a good move by Clady, but are linemen really short lived in the NFL? Let me qualify that "are good linemen really that short lived in the NFL"? I always thought that O Line had pretty good longevity in the NFL.

This might turn out to be a pretty good draft if your team is in need of O-Line. I'll have to find my list again, but if I remember right there are quite a few solid prospects that teams should be able to get in rounds 2-4 and some pretty good linemen will go in the first.

All depends on how their knees hold up.. they've made strides lately as far as wearing braces and such. But I thought historically linemen were like catchers in baseball where they destroyed their knees.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

Guest ragtimeJOE

All depends on how their knees hold up.. they've made strides lately as far as wearing braces and such. But I thought historically linemen were like catchers in baseball where they destroyed their knees.

I don't know for sure either; I'll see if I can find something. No big deal either way; I was just curious.

Guest ragtimeJOE

I could be smoking crack too.. its just something I've heard. I'd interested if you find something out.

I did a quick search, and it looks like the average NFL career is 4 years. Holy cow, I did not realize that. Most things I saw for linemen said the same thing, so I was mistaken. However, as I get more time, I will look for something that has a breakdown.. i.e. career cut short due to: injury, cut from teams and not resigned, law problems, etc.

I wonder how many players (not just linemen) find out they don't "have it" in the first 4 years. Also, I would like to see how this breaks out by draft status. Obviously the longevitiy of a 6th rounder would be expected to be less than a 1st. Anyway, interesting topic. I'm glad you brought it up, and I'll see if I can find more.