Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

81Stalagian

Tragic News -- Capt David Lyon, MWC Champ

(From Coach Lindeman)

Friends & colleagues,

Capt. David (Lissy) Lyon, USAFA '08, was killed in action yesterday while engaged in combat operations in Kabul, Afghanistan, in what NATO-led ISAF called a "suicide vehicle-borne IED bomb detonated near his convoy."  He was the only American killed along with 2 other NATO military personnel and 7 Afghan forces.

David, who had been stationed at Peterson AFB for almost 4 years, was serving a year-long deployment and was on a combat advisory mission with Afghan National Army commandos, while working with Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-Afghanistan.  He was scheduled to return to Peterson AFB in February.

David Lissy served as the 2007-08 team captain for the track & field team, and threw the shot, discus and hammer for the Falcons.  David changed his last name to "Lyon" after graduation with respect to his adopted parents.  Dave was the 2008 Mountain West Conference Champion in the Shot Put indoors.  He still holds the 3rd farthest shot put performance in USAFA track & field history with his 2008 throw of 57'11".  He was named to the NSCA All-American team, recognizing his excellence in strength training.  Ironically, David was honored with the track program's "Laura Piper Ironman Award" after the 2008 season-- that award is named after another former track team captain Laura Piper, USAFA '91, also a thrower, who was killed in action in Iraq while serving in Operation Desert Shield. 

My memories of Dave Lissy are not of how far he threw or any honors he received (I had to look those up), but of his character and leadership.  A fearless and intense competitor, Dave was one of the nicest young men I can ever remember in my 24+ years coaching at USAFA.  He cared deeply about his teammates and his team.  Dave was the epitome of a "warrior and winner."

David is survived by his wife, Dana (Pounds) Lyon.  Dana is also a USAFA grad ('06) and former track & field athlete, and was a 2-time NCAA Division I Champion in the Javelin Throw.  Dana was also concurrently deployed in Afghanistan, and is anticipating returning to Dover AFB with David's body today or tomorrow.

Memorial services will reportedly be held at the Air Force Academy, but the date and time is yet to be determined. 

Please feel free to forward this message to any of David's or Dana's friends, teammates or colleagues, and throughout the USAFA community... and PLEASE keep Dana in your prayers!

~Ralph L (Track Coach)