Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

New Mexico at UNLV notes

TV: ROOT Sports/MWN (Ari Wolfe, Sed Bonner & Tori Holt)

Series Record.............UNLV leads 11-10

UNLV is 6-3 vs UNM in Las Vegas

UNLV has taken three straight games at home vs. UNM

Rebs have won fi ve of last six meetings with Lobos

These schools played fi ve straight seasons (1978-82) when UNLV fi rst thought itself headed to the Western Athletic Conference

Ironically, the teams never met while both actually were members of the WAC (1996-98)

UNLV lost its fi rst fumble of the season at USU when QB Blake Decker was hit hard on a sack.

If it wasn’t for the three service academies, the Lobos would have the fewest fifth-year seniors of any team in the nation

The Lobos are averaging 7.0 yards per first down carry on 157 carries

UNLV rookie receiver Devonte Boyd ranks fifth in the nation among all freshmen with 562 receiving yards and fourth in yards per reception

Dakota Cox leads the nation in assisted tackles with 62, and he is second nationally in tackles per game at 13.57

Sophomore LB Tau Lotulelei turned in a career-high 15 total tackles at USU last week to give him a team-leading 69 on the year

The Lobos have had four different runners rush for 100 yards

Blake Decker ranks third in the Mountain West and 45th nationally in passing yards per game with 237.4

What's your injury report for UNLV? I believe i heard we lost 4 starters in the AFA game with two of them being season ending. A hurt and shorthanded UNM team headed to Sin City... but I'll be there rootin' the boys on!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

What's your injury report for UNLV? I believe i heard we lost 4 starters in the AFA game with two of them being season ending. A hurt and shorthanded UNM team headed to Sin City... but I'll be there rootin' the boys on!

And why we like Lobo fans. D. Davis and M. Sullivan out significant receivers and many banged up players. Should be a great game and good football weather UNLV -1 favorite. Have a great time 59. This is my boating/fishing season but I might make it. It's a toss up at the books good luck.

Vegas lines says it's a pick-em game. UNM shouldn't be worried about their defense stopping our run. It's whether our defense will make their terrible 18pts/game offense look like the TCU frogs (50pts/game). 

We lost too many key starters on defense however. The real question is-is Davie finally going to wise up and start Fr Lamar Jordan at QB or go with Cole Gautche?? IMO, that's going to be the deciding factor in this game. 

Either way, I'll be there partying with some chicks. Come say hi and drink a beer with me. 

roflbot.jpg

Vegas lines says it's a pick-em game. UNM shouldn't be worried about their defense stopping our run. It's whether our defense will make their terrible 18pts/game offense look like the TCU frogs (50pts/game). 

We lost too many key starters on defense however. The real question is-is Davie finally going to wise up and start Fr Lamar Jordan at QB or go with Cole Gautche?? IMO, that's going to be the deciding factor in this game. 

Either way, I'll be there partying with some chicks. Come say hi and drink a beer with me.

Curious... Vs. AFA Cole was extremely effective and it wasn't until the switch the offense stalled.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but once D-coordinators got some film on a Jordan led offense it has really been ineffective... It isn't Jordan's fault, we aren't built nor are we a good passing team. With poor pass blocking and route running, we aren't good at fighting for the ball, or adapting when a QB has scrambles...

So stick with strength of pounding the ball with Gautsche. It is how this team is built and who we are

trm101.jpg?t=1279010041

I think the problem with going with Cole for an entire game is that he is injury prone.  We can try to commit to him as being the only qb, but he hasn't shown he can go the distance.  I don't think there are any fans that don't respect the guy and wish him the best, He's just a one man injured list.  He's had more concussions than you'd wish on an enemy. 

Who gives us the best chance to win? Some say Cole, some say Lamar, some, myself included, think it is a combination and a judicious use of both in a game.  I kind of like the idea of Lamar starting and playing the first half and Cole finishing and playing the second half. 

We can win this one with either QB getting the most reps.  We need a solid defensive effort. UNLV is vulnerable. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

Injury prone? That is such a silly concept. I hear it all the time, but really anyone can get injured at any time. It is football! Last year it was all about Cole's head, now his head is fine and he pulled some hamstrings.

Did you know Carlos Wiggins has been hurt 2 years in a row now is he "injury prone"

Crusoe Gongbay has been injured a couple of years

Cole Juarez is out

Kimmie Carson is out

All of our CB's have spent time with injury

Dakota Cox went out with a thumb injury

I've spoken to many former players who went out and played with a concussion. Didn't tell coaches, other players... It happens all the time! Players play banged up

But guess what the second any of them get "healthy" they are immediately put back on the field because they are the best at the position they are playing...

That is football players, you don't worry about injury because at this time in the year every player is injured or hurt...

trm101.jpg?t=1279010041

Injury prone? That is such a silly concept.

A working definition for injury prone is "often sustaining injuries." It doesn't mean that there is some magical field around the player that invites injuries and that he is weaker or anything like that. 

I happen to believe that Cole's injuries and subsequent missed games all three of his seasons here suggest that building a game plan around exclusively around him alone is foolish.  All players get injured.  But, he has missed a number of games and it is not unexpected.  In addition, I don't think we game plan around many other players on the team.  Dakota Cox maybe, but Carlos Wiggins was never going to touch the ball on every offensive snap, Dakota Cox was never going to touch the ball carrier on every defensive play.  It almost sounds like you are suggesting that each of those players you listed is as important to the team as the starting QB, but I know you know better than that. 

You say you don't worry about injury, but why not just because it happens? Especially if it is a pattern that can affect your entire offensive teams play.  You do worry about injury, and if you are smart you plan for it.  Having a contingent plan is always best.  Maybe we just define worry differently, kind of like we define injury prone differently.

I agree with Tomy on that. Cole does indeed run the pistol better than Lamar. However, his past injuries have taken a toll and you can tell when he runs with the ball. He's not that physical attacking ball runner on the option keep like he was his Fr and Soph seasons. He's know trying to avoid contact by running east west on most of his runs. 

Because of Cole being injury prone and Lamar's youth and inexperience at reading the option it seems UNM runs a very plain vanilla triple option now. This makes it easier for defenses to stop our drives. 

Seriously, before the season is over I would like to see what Lamar Jordan can do for an ENTIRE game. UNLV is the easiest game left on our schedule. I think it would be a perfect time to start him at QB and see what he can do. 

roflbot.jpg

UNM one of the few teams UNLV has had consistent success against lately. Should be able to handle UNM in Vegas pretty easily.

2013: UNLV Won on the road @UNM 56-42--Would be nice to get Devante Davis back considering he had  like 160 yards & 3 TDs against UNM's secondary.

2012: UNLV beats UNM 35-7

2011: UNM narrowly beats UNLV 21-14

2010: UNLV beats UNM 45-10--UNLV beat UNM in 2009 and 2008 too. So again,  probably the only team in the MWC's whose number we've had in recent memory. Nice to know we're the easiest game left on UNM's schedule since they've been getting kicked in the mouth by UNLV for years.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Well if I am UNM, I am pretty confident in this game with Cole G. He tore UNLV up in last years game . We could not stop him for most of the game, and with a defense much worse this year, I don't see how we'd be able to stop him this year.  We were able to win last year because of our offense, which has also regressed this year.  UNLV seems to play well against UNM at home, but if I am betting this game, I am taking UNM because I can see them scoring the points and UNLV struggling to keep up.  Also, injuries do not matter against UNLV.  UNM could put in the video coordinator  and a few scout team guys and you'll be just fine.

UNM one of the few teams UNLV has had consistent success against lately. Should be able to handle UNM in Vegas pretty easily.

2013: UNLV Won on the road @UNM 56-42--Would be nice to get Devante Davis back considering he had  like 160 yards & 3 TDs against UNM's secondary.

2012: UNLV beats UNM 35-7

2011: UNM narrowly beats UNLV 21-14

2010: UNLV beats UNM 45-10--UNLV beat UNM in 2009 and 2008 too. So again,  probably the only team in the MWC's whose number we've had in recent memory. Nice to know we're the easiest game left on UNM's schedule since they've been getting kicked in the mouth by UNLV for years.

Kicked in the mouth by UNLV, how cute.

Want a lolly?

New Mexico is Janay Palmer.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

I don't want to look that person up. Has she contributed positively to humanity like UNM?

You could say that

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Maybe...yes.  You are onto something.  Cheeks in seats, like how they do it at SDSU.  Kind of.

SDSU math:  Attendance = (Butts In Seats)^2 multiplied by Pi + 2000

The 2000 is the extra "douche" factor they use.  Because there is typically 2000 more douches at any given SDSU game than attending any other FBS game that same day.