Warbow

Hawaii fires it's Basketball coach

Winning track...seems the talent is getting much better but Gib just can't get over the hump with those guys.  

Don't forget womens soccer. Dead last in the Big West.

So much for Rainbow domination

I think it is still up for debate because I don't consider the Big Sky a western conference. 

Idaho, NAU, Sac State, Portland State, Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah?  That's western enough isn't it?

I don't know, none of those are on the coast.

Western should be considered (imo) from the Rockies to the Pacific.  The Sky has at least half of its membership satisfy that requirement.

I think it could be THIS year.   But it hasn't been since we joined it. 

I agree 5th place might be generous.  If we finished outside the Top 3 again, I would have been calling for Gib's head.  I don't expect us to win the BWC every year, but we should be contention.  We haven't been.

Last year, watching the conference tournament was painful.

Cal Poly DID win a game in the NCAA's, so there is that.

Admit it, the top of the conference is better than you expected. CSUN is picked ahead of you.  That doesn't happen unless they have vastly improved (which they have under Reggie Theus). Long Beach has been picking up 3 and 4 star transfer players.  We have one of the best big men in the country.  UCI has two consecutive 20+ win seasons and an NIT appearance to their credit since Hawaii joined.   You Rainbows thought it would be a cakewalk and it's been anything but.

I'll concede softball has been down in recent years.  Our last multibid season was 2011 (there were as many as five bids in '07).  Women's basketball?  If you aren't in a power conference it's almost certainly a one-bid league whether you are in the BW or BS (Big South).

But the worst western conference in all of college sports?  That's cute.  Three bids in volleyball in 2013, and looking like two or three again in 2014.  So much for suffering there.  And the collective MW attendance is similar to what we have going on.  Three bids in baseball in 2013, four in 2014 (with a College World Series participant in UC Irvine).  So much for suffering there.  You're just a hater. 

You could be in a worse place: the Big Sky.

You're funny, while in the previous WAC a second place finish with a good record would get you an NCAA BB tourney invite. In the Big West, 2nd with a good record and you're automatically eliminated and looking for an NIT bid.

The Big West would be a one bid conference in women volleyball if it wasn't for Hawaii. Beating Hawaii not only gives that team poll credibility but just playng Hawaii boosts every Big West team in the RPI. If it wasn't for baseball the Big West would be the worst conference in the entire NCAA.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

His dad was a BYU legend.

His Dad also got canned while coaching at Hawaii. Like father like son is what they say.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Fotu in eligible for the season. The Big West lucked out.

Fotu in eligible for the season. The Big West lucked out.

Lucked out, mr. middle of the pack?  Last year we won by 11 on the Islands and led by as many as 19 in SB; only some gaddamn punk getting in Gib Arnold's face took attention away from what was a beatdown.  Those two games were with Fotu, Stanhardinger, Rozitis, Spearman, etc.  They're all gone this year. 

Please promise me you can at least knock off UCR.

Lucked out, mr. middle of the pack? Last year we won by 11 on the Islands and led by as many as 19 in SB; only some gaddamn punk getting in Gib Arnold's face took attention away from what was a beatdown. Those two games were with Fotu, Stanhardinger, Rozitis, Spearman, etc. They're all gone this year.

LMAO, such hostility. Pre Season all conference player out for the season and you act like its not going to make a different. Maybe our 2 Missouri transfers will pick up the slack for those departed but losing Fotu will hurt for sure.

The Big West still sucks no matter how well Hawaii does in it. Worst conference west of the mississippi.

Lucked out, mr. middle of the pack? Last year we won by 11 on the Islands and led by as many as 19 in SB; only some gaddamn punk getting in Gib Arnold's face took attention away from what was a beatdown. Those two games were with Fotu, Stanhardinger, Rozitis, Spearman, etc. They're all gone this year.

gaucho,your team scored 38 points in its first round knock out in the BW tourney.williams is 6-2.lol.

Guest #1Stunner

LMAO, such hostility. Pre Season all conference player out for the season and you act like its not going to make a different. Maybe our 2 Missouri transfers will pick up the slack for those departed but losing Fotu will hurt for sure.

The Big West still sucks no matter how well Hawaii does in it. Worst conference west of the mississippi.

The Big West is better than the WAC.

If the Big West can start consistently getting 2 NCAA tourney teams, it would be pretty good. 

You're funny, while in the previous WAC a second place finish with a good record would get you an NCAA BB tourney invite. In the Big West, 2nd with a good record and you're automatically eliminated and looking for an NIT bid.

The Big West would be a one bid conference in women volleyball if it wasn't for Hawaii. Beating Hawaii not only gives that team poll credibility but just playng Hawaii boosts every Big West team in the RPI. If it wasn't for baseball the Big West would be the worst conference in the entire NCAA.

Hawaii has zero at-large bids in its history.  You earned your way into the NCAA's with the auto-bid.

Last year in volleyball, there were three bids to the NCAA's: UCSB, Hawaii, and Northridge.  UCSB got the auto-bid (RPI was 60 or so) and I think Northridge was in the 40's. To this point in 2014, Northridge, UH and Long Beach's RPI are in the 30's.   You help big time, but the BW would still have had at least two bids in 2013 and 2014 regardless.

Softball was a multibid league as recently as 2011.  Women's soccer is a one-bidder, although Northridge and Long Beach both made the NCAA's in 2012 and LB reached the Elite Eight in '11.  Men's soccer (which you pineapples don't have) is usually worth at least two bids, and earned three in 2013.

You could do a lot worse than us: the Big Sky has never had an at-large bid in basketball. I think they just started sponsoring softball a few years ago.  AFAIK, volleyball and soccer are one-and-dones.  That's a pretty bad western conference for the sports you care about.

It's not just Fotu you lose - Stanhardinger, Rozitis and Spearman are gone as well. I'll be nice and throw in Shamburger too.  You lost a lot of proven size (and guard play). 

Meanwhile, we bring back one of the best big men in the country and a pg who was second nationally in assist/turnover ratio. Bryson ain't a bad wing player and neither is Green (if only he can stay healthy...)

The Big West is better than the WAC.

If the Big West can start consistently getting 2 NCAA tourney teams, it would be pretty good. 

Warbow is referring to the WAC of the mid 90s through 2012, when it was essentially the Big West 2.0

UCSB sucks. I went to a bunch of games last year while living in Isla Vista and the Gauchos are nothing to write home about.

Hawaii isn't that great either, but I'd really like to see them as an all-sports member in the MWC.

We went from 11-20 to 21-9.  I didn't say we were great, although knocking off Cal and UNLV were nice. We do have our main pieces pack this year and some intriguing freshmen.  What's not to get excited about??

Just out of curiosity, which games did you attend?  I went to the Hawaii game.

Guest #1Stunner

UCSB sucks. I went to a bunch of games last year while living in Isla Vista and the Gauchos are nothing to write home about.

Hawaii isn't that great either, but I'd really like to see them as an all-sports member in the MWC.

That said, I know for a fact you are USF / WCC guy.

I think USF might surprise and go to the NCAA tourney this year.  I want you to support the Dons.

Guest #1Stunner

I'll always root for the Dons but I'm a Pokes fan above all. USF will contend for an NCAA berth this year, I'd say. The interest in the program has really grown in recent years from when I hung around the Hilltop with any regularity, which is good to see.

That's fair.

If the Wyoming doesn't have any NCAA tourney prospects this year, then I hope the Dons do.  The Dons have one of the best fanbases at the WCC basketball tourney.  Very friendly folk.