Warbow

Hawaii fires it's Basketball coach

Yay Riley Wallace, we can get the old gang together.

Wow, could be a lost season. Not a bad gig though for any decent out of work coach if they need to bring someone in. I'd do it. I'll manage things pretty well. Let the assistants to some coaching I'll handle the press conferences and donors.

I'd even do it for room and board plus they can make my student loan payments.

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

The head coach and assistant coach of the Rainbows were moved fired today and two articles I read from CBS Sports and can't remember where else both believe it is because of the NCAA investigation that has been going on since March against Hawaii.

To me personally I think the firings have more to do with something going on off the court than anything else. 

I still believe Chow is save for another season

Until all the facts are out it's impossible to judge whether UH made the right call in firing Gib or overreacted to relatively minor administrative violations.  But it's not reassuring that the AD (reportedly) didn't even give Gib the benefit of a face-to-face explanation.  If true, that means UH is allowing its lawyers to call the shots on this.  Which to me is just a recipe for eventually having to spend more money on lawyers.

Only because we have to play in high school gyms.

Middle of the pack team who hasn't yet made it out of the first round of the BW tournament.  Talk to me when that changes.

I'd love to have Hawaii in the WCC.  They'd probably have to pay the WCC a travel sub, but we could travel partner them with USD, and add Denver to go to 12 teams.

Denver is ours! 

Sources say the infractions were minor in nature but a deeper look into the program revealed a lot of player mistreatment violations.

Yeah, like forcing them to play ball in the BigLots Conference.

Boom goes the dynamite.

What in the world is going on there. Keep the loser coach (Chow) and fire the guy who has the program on a winning track. Plans are to bring back Reilly Wallace for the remainer of the 2014-15 season.  

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20141028_Sources_Arnold_out_as_UH_basketball_coach.html?id=280710752

Winning != good.

Can't even place in the Top 3 in one of the worst conferences in the nation.  Power ratings only slightly better than much maligned Bob Nash.

He was 4th on my "need to fire" list after Chow, Trap (baseball) and Wilton (men's vball). (Throw the women's golf coach in there if you care about golf).  But let's not kid ourselves--UH Basketball was horrible.    And we were cheating to maintain horrible-ness.  Bad timing, but not a long term loss.

Winning != good.

Can't even place in the Top 3 in one of the worst conferences in the nation.  Power ratings only slightly better than much maligned Bob Nash.

He was 4th on my "need to fire" list after Chow, Trap (baseball) and Wilton (men's vball). (Throw the women's golf coach in there if you care about golf).  But let's not kid ourselves--UH Basketball was horrible.    And we were cheating to maintain horrible-ness.  Bad timing, but not a long term loss.

Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, the top of the conference is better than you expected?

5th place may be generous this year for the Bows now.

Winning != good.

Winning track...seems the talent is getting much better but Gib just can't get over the hump with those guys.  

Don't forget womens soccer. Dead last in the Big West.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, the top of the conference is better than you expected?

Not really, Hawaii should be dominating in ALL Big West sports. There's no excuse but poor coaching.  It's been hard to recruit for Hawaii while in the Big West.  The Big West is probably the worst Western conference in all of college sports but Baseball. It's time we put ALL our sports in the MWC or our programs will die a slow dead. This will automatically improve the MWC in their womens sports leagues. Hawaii has top notch volleyball, softabll and our women basketbal program is rising fast.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I think it could be THIS year.   But it hasn't been since we joined it. 

I agree 5th place might be generous.  If we finished outside the Top 3 again, I would have been calling for Gib's head.  I don't expect us to win the BWC every year, but we should be contention.  We haven't been.

Last year, watching the conference tournament was painful.

It's been hard to recruit for Hawaii while in the Big West.  The Big West is probably the worst Western conference in all of college sports but Baseball. It's time we put ALL our sports in the MWC or our programs will die a slow dead.

You guys should have been accepted to the MWC for all sports as was the case when most of the rest of us were in the WAC. The fact that you weren't is just another black mark on the Molehill West. If the conference's decision makers weren't so GD cheap, they would make the change now while also offering UTSA before it's gobbled up by the AAC. However, just like Honolulu, San Antonio is too far away for the cheapskates to want to pay to travel to.

Boom goes the dynamite.

What in the world is going on there. Keep the loser coach (Chow) and fire the guy who has the program on a winning track. Plans are to bring back Reilly Wallace for the remainer of the 2014-15 season.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20141028_Sources_Arnold_out_as_UH_basketball_coach.html?id=280710752

His dad was a BYU legend.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Not really, Hawaii should be dominating in ALL Big West sports. There's no excuse but poor coaching.  It's been hard to recruit for Hawaii while in the Big West.  The Big West is probably the worst Western conference in all of college sports but Baseball. It's time we put ALL our sports in the MWC or our programs will die a slow dead. This will automatically improve the MWC in their womens sports leagues. Hawaii has top notch volleyball, softabll and our women basketbal program is rising fast.

Admit it, the top of the conference is better than you expected. CSUN is picked ahead of you.  That doesn't happen unless they have vastly improved (which they have under Reggie Theus). Long Beach has been picking up 3 and 4 star transfer players.  We have one of the best big men in the country.  UCI has two consecutive 20+ win seasons and an NIT appearance to their credit since Hawaii joined.   You Rainbows thought it would be a cakewalk and it's been anything but.

I'll concede softball has been down in recent years.  Our last multibid season was 2011 (there were as many as five bids in '07).  Women's basketball?  If you aren't in a power conference it's almost certainly a one-bid league whether you are in the BW or BS (Big South).

But the worst western conference in all of college sports?  That's cute.  Three bids in volleyball in 2013, and looking like two or three again in 2014.  So much for suffering there.  And the collective MW attendance is similar to what we have going on.  Three bids in baseball in 2013, four in 2014 (with a College World Series participant in UC Irvine).  So much for suffering there.  You're just a hater. 

You could be in a worse place: the Big Sky.