Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoFasZz

Larry Eustachy believes CSU can win the MWC

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

Can we change the thread title to "Eustachy says what every college coach says." 

I like how everyone keeps saying this.

Eustachy never said that for our 26 win 3rd round NCAAT 2012 team and he definitely never said we would this last year

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

Eustachy never said that for our 26 win 3rd round NCAAT 2012 team and he definitely never said we would this last year

You guys made the Sweet 16? I thought you went one and done, losing to Murray State.

You guys made the Sweet 16? I thought you went one and done, losing to Murray State.

Beat Mizzou and then lost to Louisville.  But no Sweet 16.

Third round, meaning first round were play-ins, second round being the round of 64 and third round the round of 32. I don't like considering the play-ins a "round"

He should not be raising the bar so high. You need to take baby steps if your csu. your just setting your self up for failier and early retaierment making such statements.

Disagree.  He's paid very well to raise the bar exactly that high.  That is the mindset in the CSU athletic department right now.  We are shooting very high.  CSU used to set all sorts of outrageous "stretch" goals that we all knew would never be achieved, and then a set of realistic goals that were nothing more than settling for mediocrity.  We've gotten rid of both.  Now our AD sets very high goals and pushes the coaches to achieve them, but OTOH none of those goals include crazy stuff like national championships.

This one is especially realistic.  Contending for the MWC title is hardly outrageous.  It doesn't say that anything but the MWC title is unacceptable, but it also says that if we're not in the running then the season is not a success.  Any coach that fails to set that goal in most years needs replaced immediately.

And screw baby steps.  Those are for programs that add two wins over last season and consider that a good reason for backslapping and handshakes.  CSU is paying their coaches very well and we expect to compete.  If your not dedicated to competition in the athletic realm, where exactly can you be dedicated to competition.

Disagree. He's paid very well to raise the bar exactly that high. That is the mindset in the CSU athletic department right now. We are shooting very high. CSU used to set all sorts of outrageous "stretch" goals that we all knew would never be achieved, and then a set of realistic goals that were nothing more than settling for mediocrity. We've gotten rid of both. Now our AD sets very high goals and pushes the coaches to achieve them, but OTOH none of those goals include crazy stuff like national championships.

This one is especially realistic. Contending for the MWC title is hardly outrageous. It doesn't say that anything but the MWC title is unacceptable, but it also says that if we're not in the running then the season is not a success. Any coach that fails to set that goal in most years needs replaced immediately.

And screw baby steps. Those are for programs that add two wins over last season and consider that a good reason for backslapping and handshakes. CSU is paying their coaches very well and we expect to compete. If your not dedicated to competition in the athletic realm, where exactly can you be dedicated to competition.

Very well said. I don't think Wyoming has the talent to win the MWC next year but if Shyatt doesnt make that the goal and strive for it, then he needs to go. I do think that is his goal as well. You never know what happens in a season. Anyone in the MWC who isn't in full rebuild mode should have the same goal.

That was 2012.

I think that was the point?

Fisher used to sell his recruits on winning the first MWC Title banner back in the empty gym days.  A great coach sells the vision of a championship and his players buy in.  Bad coaches don't have the buy in or they don't even sell the vision of a title. 

Also, if you do not think you can win a title, the hell are you doing competing?  That would be a waste.

The article said he said, the Rams have a chance to be contenders.

I have no problem with that. I agree with that.

That really isn't saying much. "A chance" doesn't define what he thinks that "chance" is. "contender" is a very losely defined word.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Rams hang a MWC banner from next year. They will be very good.

I will not do any picks until full rosters are known, but I could see me picking the Rams if they add the right player, Birch leaves, and the Aztecs and Rebels stand pat.

I wonder if the Rams will capture the imagination of the locals and actually sell out games well in advance. maybe 2013 set them up for doing that in 2015.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.