Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

UNLV to Pac-12 would be a smart idea

Hey, let's get real - with history. UNLV has never been a PAC member or affiliate. BSU is an affiliate member.

But more importantly, the Vandals are looking for a home, and they were part of the PAC when it was the PCC. So was Montana. So maybe the PAC should rekindle old ties and invite Idaho & Montana! :D

Probably as good a choice as UNLV anytime soon. :P

After all, isn't college sports supposed to be about tradition? :lol:

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Nothing screams delusional like all these "We're Going to the Pac!" threads. They are classic.

Almost as bad as the "We're going to the Great Big East" threads.

You honestly don't think every fan of a team in the MWC doesn't dream of his team being in the PAC or BIG12 one day including fans of SDSU?

In fact both BSU and SDSU are hoping that the Big East will be their stepping stone to a Big4 Conference.

You're not above it at all.

2me1q87.jpg

Hey, let's get real - with history. UNLV has never been a PAC member or affiliate. BSU is an affiliate member.

But more importantly, the Vandals are looking for a home, and they were part of the PAC when it was the PCC. So was Montana. So maybe the PAC should rekindle old ties and invite Idaho & Montana! :D

Probably as good a choice as UNLV anytime soon. :P

After all, isn't college sports supposed to be about tradition? :lol:

The only question is who gets the call first to join the Pac Infinity, UNLV, Hawaii, CSU (though they are going to join the Big 12 apparently) UNM, UNR? Here's the way I think the calls will be made:

Pac Commish got drunk at the imperial palace champagne brunch, and so makes the local call to UNLV first

Then calls UNR because they are so close, and that's why Oklahoma wasn't invited, because they were far

Then calls CSU to try to get in before Bevo prys them away and a bidding war ensues

Then calls up warbow to set up the travel subsidies

Tries to call UNM but no one is in the office because the entire AD is the Basketball throne room listening to the weekly decrees

i_love_suds_mug-p168021735772838352enw9p

Almost as bad as the "We're going to the Great Big East" threads.

You honestly don't think every fan of a team in the MWC doesn't dream of his team being in the PAC or BIG12 one day including fans of SDSU?

In fact both BSU and SDSU are hoping that the Big East will be their stepping stone to a Big4 Conference.

You're not above it at all.

Um, both of us actually had a bid, and then many of these same posters spent the next 7 months talking tons of shiit and all sorts of MWC brotherhood bullshiit. Now they are tripping over themselves stating how they are all going to the Pac Infinity in the next 10 years. You don't see how absurdly funny these threads are? C'mon son, you usually have a good sense of humor.

i_love_suds_mug-p168021735772838352enw9p

Um, both of us actually had a bid, and then many of these same posters spent the next 7 months talking tons of shiit and all sorts of MWC brotherhood bullshiit. Now they are tripping over themselves stating how they are all going to the Pac Infinity in the next 10 years. You don't see how absurdly funny these threads are? C'mon son, you usually have a good sense of humor.

No you had a bid to the Big East which most of us see as a lateral move. Had either of you gone to the Big12 or the PAC12 your exit would have been different, that is, if your fans decided to leave with grace.

2me1q87.jpg

The only question is who gets the call first to join the Pac Infinity, UNLV, Hawaii, CSU (though they are going to join the Big 12 apparently) UNM, UNR? Here's the way I think the calls will be made:

Pac Commish got drunk at the imperial palace champagne brunch, and so makes the local call to UNLV first

Then calls UNR because they are so close, and that's why Oklahoma wasn't invited, because they were far

Then calls CSU to try to get in before Bevo prys them away and a bidding war ensues

Then calls up warbow to set up the travel subsidies

Tries to call UNM but no one is in the office because the entire AD is the Basketball throne room listening to the weekly decrees

You're trying too hard.

Washington and Wash State

Oregon and Oregon State

Cal and Stanford

USC an UCLA

Arizona and Arizona State

Utah and BYU

Colorado an Air Force

UNLV and SDSU Nevada

Makes sense geographically, athletically, from a TV market standpoint, and from a rivalry standpoint. Plus it prevents any other western conference from being relevant.

There you go, friend.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

Here are the realities:

- UNLV isn't going anywhere without the UNLVnow project being approved. A first class venue for football must be built in order to attract the bigger conferences.

- UNLV isn't going anywhere because of UNLV football or academics. Right now anyways, it's about the city, not the school. As a UNLV fan, I accept this, why can't anyone else seem to grasp this?

- UNR isn't going anywhere without UNLV. Nobody wants Reno and everyone wants Vegas. Ain't life a ++++ UNR fans? Ponder that when you're up 52-3 again this year in football.

- In summary, if UNLV builds the venue, it can deliver Vegas. And those two together, along with a top-10 level basketball program, will be enough to deliver UNLV to a major conference.

No, that's not what everyone thinks. However, A LOT of people, including Rebel fans, think UNLV should drop football.

There's writers and bloggers without a stake in this that say Nevada is a potential future candidate along with CSU. Nice spin though.

kat.jpg

Thank you for making my point. The fact that you left out academics as any kind of criteria shows that you don't understand the elitists that run the PAC. Not only are academics important, but the kind of academics are important. They love research on medical issues that impact Americans severely, they like research that makes us a cleaner green society and avoids impact on climate change (even though it's a joke).

kat.jpg

I think that if the Pac12 ever expands SDSU will be strongly considered. Right now, the Pac12 teams all seem hell-bent on playing games in Southern California. The problem is that if there is expansion, then there will be fewer opportunities for all schools to play in Southern Cal. Adding San Diego State would remedy that.

Previous issues with adding SDSU was when the Pac12 had 10 teams. But that would be less of a problem with 16 teams. And don't forget, we saw the Big12 expand in Texas recently and add TCU, which would never have been predicted a few years ago.

You don't seem to understand the PAC decision makers either. State has been trying to get in since the late 70's. And the reason they haven't gotten in is the same reason now. The elitist have a stigma against the Cal State system. Even if SDSU improves slowly, the culture at the PAC is hard to overcome. State might have a chance a couple of generations down the road where the older farts have died off and the younger guys hopefully haven't been terribly poisoned.

kat.jpg

If UNLV upgrades Pac goes with

UNLV

Hawaii

CSU

New Mexico

BYU sunday play never

You don't seem to understand the PAC elitists at all. BYU would never even be considered because of Mormonism and how it terriblys conflict with the PAC elitists missions in life and in the conference. Distance will always doom Hawaii. They barely got in the MWC as a FB only school. UNLV? They're perceived more like a Cal State school than anything else. And the academics....it would take decades to get to the level and kind of academics they want.

kat.jpg

You don't seem to understand the PAC elitists at all. BYU would never even be considered because of Mormonism and how it terribly conflict with the PAC elitists missions in life and for the conference. Distance will always doom Hawaii. They barely got in the MWC as a FB only school. UNLV? They're perceived more like a Cal State school than anything else. And the academics....it would take decades to get to the level and kind of academics they want.

I said BYU would never get in, Wyoming has a better chance. about the other schools who else does the Pac12 have left to go for.

these are the best choices

Hawaii

NM this is the diamond in the rough great fans, always top 10 in BB attendence, 25k for football team that never wins who else could do this

CSU

Unlv I do see your point with UNLV

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Oddly enough, I agree. I think adding Air Force to join Colorado, and BYU to join Utah would make a lot of sense. Then add UNLV and SDSU and the history they have and you now have a solid Pac16 that would own the west. All states represented would be interconnected (or bordering each other) and each school would have a very distinct rival:

Washington and Wash State

Oregon and Oregon State

Cal and Stanford

USC an UCLA

Arizona and Arizona State

Utah and BYU

Colorado an Air Force

UNLV and SDSU

Makes sense geographically, athletically, from a TV market standpoint, and from a rivalry standpoint. Plus it prevents any other western conference from being relevant.

Thank you for making my point. The fact that you left out academics as any kind of criteria shows that you don't understand the elitists that run the PAC. Not only are academics important, but the kind of academics are important. They love research on medical issues that impact Americans severely, they like research that makes us a cleaner green society and avoids impact on climate change (even though it's a joke).

kat.jpg

I said BYU would never get in, Wyoming has a better chance. about the other schools who else does the Pac12 have left to go for.

these are the best choices

Hawaii

NM this is the diamond in the rough great fans, always top 10 in BB attendence, 25k for football team that never wins who else could do this

CSU

Unlv I do see your point with UNLV

OK my bad on what you meant about BYU. Yes Wyoming would get in easier than BYU, because BYU has no chance, and the Pokes could if certain significant goals were attained.

My list has UNM and CSU, as well. I'll have more time this weekend to make the case for Nevada. Now remember, this is based on meeting certain goals in a 10 year period, not as it sits right now.

kat.jpg

So you are referring to research like this?

http://www.lvrj.com/news/unlv-researchers-fight-disease-affecting-honeybees-161759595.html

2me1q87.jpg

So you are referring to research like this?

http://www.lvrj.com/news/unlv-researchers-fight-disease-affecting-honeybees-161759595.html

I would think so. That might be a good start, but you have to raise the bar for the entire school, and then do a lot more research work.

The bummer for UNLV is that they don't have a medical school, and that would help a lot.

Discovering the causes and cures of diseases that effect millions in the US and abroad are right up their ally. Stuff that gets even international attention.

Here's an example for UNR. Major discovery getting international attention back in 2009.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091008/NEWS/91008028/Reno-institute-reports-major-breakthrough-chronic-fatigue-sufferers

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125501227713473525.html

kat.jpg

Hello fellow MWC fans. I think UNLV would be a smart choice for the Pac-12 if they were to expand in the near future. UNLV's basketball is becoming a powerhouse with the additions of Anthony Bennett, Khem Birch, and Roscoe Smith. UNLV football has been terrible for the past decade but I think we can step it up starting this year. I know most of you will say UNLV's academics aren't up to par, but UNLV's academics have raised slowly but surely the past decade. UNLV's academics were maybe the worst in D-I in the country about 20 years ago, but we have leapfrogged about 50 schools, that's pretty good in a 20-year span. I want to hear what you have to say about this, so I'll stop typing. Thank you.

Fresno State to the PAC12 would be a good idea.