Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverRun

Is the Nevada-Boise State rivalry bigger than Nevada-UNLV?

This was the subject of an article by the RGJ's Chris Murray.  He makes some great points, and as others have mentioned, it's a head scratcher there's never been a trophy introduced into this rivalry game at some point. 

Remembering all those great games makes me feel a little bummed Boise won't be on our schedule the next two years.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2014/09/29/murray-nevada-boise-state-rivalry-bigger-nevada-unlv/16452179/

A few highlights from the article.

"A few years ago, I asked about 20 Wolf Pack players the same question: Who's Nevada's No. 1 rival?  I figured it would provide a lopsided answer, and it did. But it was that answer that surprised me.  The majority of the players said they considered Boise State, not UNLV, their No. 1 rival."

"This informal poll was held in 2010 and the Wolf Pack had lost to Boise State 10 straight times, although the last three were narrow defeats. At the same time, Nevada was treating UNLV like a JV team. So, it made sense that with its in-state rivalry decidedly lopsided, Boise State became the team's biggest rival."

"For starters, the Wolf Pack and Broncos have actually played each other more times than Nevada-UNLV (40 to 39). Here's another: The Nevada-Boise State game is always sold out, which rarely happens when Nevada and UNLV face off (four of Nevada's seven sellouts since 2000 have come against Boise State)."

"You can't write the history of Nevada football without mentioning these games and the Boise State rivarly.  Twelve Nevada-Boise State matchups have been decided by a touchdown or less, including six that were decided by a field goal or less (or went to overtime)."

WolfPack2014poster_zpsda00ea12.jpg

Within the next 2 years UNLV will surpass Boise State for number of times played.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

probably not considering that most of reno's student body are from las vegas

i went to unlv and lived in las vegas and i don't really consider the unlv/reno football game to be all that important

2 irrelevant football teams

when i think of rivalry i think unm or sdsu basketball, maybe that's just me 

i went to unlv and lived in las vegas and i don't really consider the unlv/reno football game to be all that important

and me...

I don't know, because I'm not a Nevada fan so I couldn't tell you, but for BSU it has been a pretty good rivalry, much better than Idaho has been. If they did make a trophy I would say they should have one with two gold plated six shooters, that would be cool. I've always thought that the Fresno milk can was lame. I think the years BSU wins we should get a golden potato trophy and when Fresno wins they should get a portable meth lab.

UNR vs BSU probably meant (past tense since the new division format the MWC adopted) more due to the impact on the standings, and generally BSU was ranked...................but for northern Nevadan's UNLV still has a good amount of hate..........not so much for the gravity of the games, but for the in-state issues that play out in the state..............but I would suspect the UNR-BSU thing might fade & the UNLV-UNR thing might increase as for the first times in decades the UNLV-UNR games do have conference implications & it's not just a legislatively forced game anymore.

I don't know, because I'm not a Nevada fan so I couldn't tell you, but for BSU it has been a pretty good rivalry, much better than Idaho has been. If they did make a trophy I would say they should have one with two gold plated six shooters, that would be cool. I've always thought that the Fresno milk can was lame. I think the years BSU wins we should get a golden potato trophy and when Fresno wins they should get a portable meth lab.

I like that idea! I'll email the suggestion to our AD and see if anything comes of it.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

UNLV FB really doesn't have another rival outside of UNR...............In hoops, it's SDS & NM by a good margin

Don't see Nevada as a rival in hoops?

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Not really as, just like it is in football, it hasn't been really competitive.

I'll take beating idaho over Reno or Fresno. I grew up under the streak though.

Posted Image

UNLV FB really doesn't have another rival outside of UNR...............In hoops, it's SDS & NM by a good margin

unlv fb hasn't been relevant in like 30 years

just hard to say someone is rival when the games are so meaningless. if reno has a chance to win the conference or something than maybe the game has some implications to it but otherwise... it's pretty meaningless. 

unlv prides itself on its delusions of grandeur

by-and-large we don't even acknowledge reno's basketball team

burton was probably the biggest thorn in unlv's side since jimmer and i bet he got more cheers than boos while playing at the TMC

should say something about the "rivalry" or lack there of 

I could see the UNLV-UNR hoops games becoming more of a rivalry due the conference implications.

Just having UNR & UNLV in the same conference has been better for all the sports.

Indeed. I like the governors series also. Obviously your athletic department has been better but it gives our donors motivation to fund the department to catch up.