Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roswellcoug

more needless drone deaths

I am one of an ever shrinking group of people who are still in favor of drone strikes. IMO, it's one of the few things Obama has done well. And he hasn't backed off much despite criticism from his own party.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Who cares if a bunch of drones die.  They're just machines.........

Anyway, I don't know.  We have to kill terrorists, but the drone strikes definitely carry a heavy price.  Don't know what to make of it. It's easy to bash Obama for it, but I don't know what the alternative is.

It does amuse me that so many on the left raised such hell about waterboarding but nary a word about about hellfire missiles from drones thousands of feet overhead.

A lot of bad guys have been killed in the drone strikes, but so have lot of civilians.

If innocent people are expendable in the fight against terror, then we are all expendable, to both sides of the fight.

Expendable people is what the terrorist do. Where is our moral authority when we consider people expendable?

Dirt Sorcerer

If innocent people are expendable in the fight against terror, then we are all expendable, to both sides of the fight.

Expendable people is what the terrorist do. Where is our moral authority when we consider people expendable?

Exactly! Otherwise, what makes us any different than the terrorists?

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Also the ability to kill someone without retaliation, without risk and most especially without having to take responsibility for the action is morally corrupting.

It allows and ignorant racist liberal like Obama to kill anyone he likes almost.  This includes American citizens as well as innocent civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When you allow someone like Obama who would kill his own baby if he thought it inconvenient.  To have the power of life or death over people.  And plausible deniability at the same time.   you are just asking to create a monster.

Also the ability to kill someone without retaliation, without risk and most especially without having to take responsibility for the action is morally corrupting.

It allows and ignorant racist liberal like Obama to kill anyone he likes almost.  This includes American citizens as well as innocent civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When you allow someone like Obama who would kill his own baby if he thought it inconvenient.  To have the power of life or death over people.  And plausible deniability at the same time.   you are just asking to create a monster.

OK.

So what do you want to do about Yemen?

Here's our other options to what we are currently doing:

1.  We could do nothing and let it fester, like we did with Afghanistan.

2.  We could pump in a bunch of money and support a strongman we like and hope he tamps it down like we did with Egypt.

3.  We could occupy the country and try to install a democracy like we did in Iraq.

4.  We could use special ops to kill them up close and personal.  Probably will result in less civilian deaths but more American deaths, and there is no guarantee of less civilian deaths, remember a 1000 Somalis died in one night in Mogadishu.

5.  Or we could nuke the place and turn it to glass.

If you have a better option than one of these I'd love to hear it.

What I think your response is going to be is that we should just mind our own business.  Which IMO is nuts because we've seen what happens when we ignore the problem.  Same result every time we try that.  Americans get killed.

OK.

2.  We could pump in a bunch of money and support a strongman we like and hope he tamps it down like we did with Egypt.

3.  We could occupy the country and try to install a democracy like we did in Iraq.

4.  We could use special ops to kill them up close and personal.  Probably will result in lest civilian deaths but more American deaths.

OK, I'll throw my pragmatic two cents in with you.

I wonder how Russia, Germany, Great Britain, France, and any other victims of Islamic extremism feel about our somewhat targeted drone strikes. Are we condemned or would they be doing the same if they had the capability?

If some believe we're creating more extremist with our continued drone strikes, I'd argue that the continued existence of Guantanamo is also corrupting our values and creating more terrorist. Why don't we show the world that we value the rule of law and put the accused on public trial?

As an aside, have any South American countries had to deal with Islamic terrorism?

OK.

4.  We could use special ops to kill them up close and personal.  Probably will result in less civilian deaths but more American deaths, and there is no guarantee of less civilian deaths, remember a 1000 Somalis died in one night in Mogadishu.

What I think your response is going to be is that we should just mind our own business.  Which IMO is nuts because we've seen what happens when we ignore the problem.  Same result every time we try that.  Americans get killed.

We would be better off doing nothing, then creating more young angry men bent on killing us.   For good reason too.

Bush, found a whole lot of ways to kill terrorists without the total reliance on drones and he didn't have another 9/11 unlike Obama.

I think any travel from certain countries should be under extreme security surveillance.  If you want to come to the United States from Somalia, you fly to Guantanamo and submit to a cavity search and have a GPS implant placed inside your skull so that when you are supposed to leave we can find you.   If you don't want to come then stay home.

In reality we have to accept the world isn't a safe place.  No amount of ignorant racist liberal laws and killings are going to make us safe.  In fact making individual citizens remain unarmed is ridiculous.  Who would try to hijack a plane if 30% of the passengers were ugly Americans with handguns in their waist band?   Every hijacking would turn out like that plane on 9/11 who crashed in Pennsylvania.  Hijackers would soon become a rare species.

The american born germans that returned to the Fatherland in WW2 didn't get a trial either HR.

Wtf are you talking about? There are no confirmed reports of Americans fighting for the Nazis and the few rumors claim they were captured as POWs and released after the war.

Wtf are you talking about? There are no confirmed reports of Americans fighting for the Nazis and the few rumors claim they were captured as POWs and released after the war.

Absolutely German immigrants went back to Germany in the late 30s and early 40's.

Anyway, what is your point?  If an American is hanging out at a terrorist convention in Yemen or Somalia do you want to send the FBI and arrest him?  How the hell does that work?  Do you want to get a warrant before we collect intelligence on him?

IF you're in the States then yes, you have habeus corpus.  If you're overseas and affiliating with known enemies of the US then your rights go out the window.  Gimme a break.