Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rofl_copter_dos

MWC football recruiting 2014

That's what the article said. Wouldn't be the first time one was wrong.

He's pretty good either way. Needs to put on weight but he's athletic and a mean blocker.

I hadn't heard his name come up on our site and none of the recruiting services show him with an offer.

Doesn't mean he isn't a player though.

I hadn't heard his name come up on our site and none of the recruiting services show him with an offer.

Doesn't mean he isn't a player though.

for some reason it refuses to let me post the article...dafuq

anyhow no way of knowing for sure...hell, porchivina wasn't connected with us once before he announced.

I agree. The best parenting method is to be overbearing and make decisions for your adult children...

18-year-olds do stupid things. (Like, for example, peeing off of a balcony.) Which in the entire scheme of things doesn't matter much. Choosing Boise over Stanford? That's life-altering stupid. Now, if the decision is Oregon St or Boise? Well, that decision is completely up to the stupid 18-year-old.

18-year-olds do stupid things. (Like, for example, peeing off of a balcony.) Which in the entire scheme of things doesn't matter much. Choosing Boise over Stanford? That's life-altering stupid. Now, if the decision is Oregon St or Boise? Well, that decision is completely up to the stupid 18-year-old.

You're looking at this to much from the standpoint of a "regular" kid. In reality, Former college football players have a much easier time finding jobs then regular grads, so the difference between going to a good school and an average school is much less pronounced. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but when you can put "division 1 college football player" on a resume you aren't going to have any trouble finding a job if you don't make it to the league wether you went to Stanford, Boise, bowling green, or any of the other fbs schools.

You're looking at this to much from the standpoint of a "regular" kid. In reality, Former college football players have a much easier time finding jobs then regular grads, so the difference between going to a good school and an average school is much less pronounced. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but when you can put "division 1 college football player" on a resume you aren't going to have any trouble finding a job if you don't make it to the league wether you went to Stanford, Boise, bowling green, or any of the other fbs schools.

I wasn't aware of this? Can you provide a link?

They do around Boise.. We have a former player on our team coming in who got the job over more qualified grads(I know one what a MBA from Villanova). I think that's why most players come to Boise and don't leave.

Being an ex FB player in Boise gets your foot in a lot of doors. Many of them go into sales for that reason.

I wasn't aware of this? Can you provide a link?

It's based more on personal observation. I knew a few football players while I attended, and not one of them have had any trouble finding good, regular jobs. Well I take that back, one guy I know that played hasn't found a good job; but he didn't graduate either. This is in stark contrast to my non athlete friends, many of which have struggled with unemployment and underemployment.

Well if that's the case then why wouldn't you still go to Stanford? The job market in Silicon Valley is as good as it's ever been.

Well you also have to remember that any kid that has a PAC 12 offer believes he can play in the nfl, so most are first and foremost going to want to go to a school that gives them the best chance to do just that. Maybe a kid looks at Stanford and sees there is a good chance he could ride the bench for his entire career and all but kill his chances at making it to the league, and would rather go to a mwc school where he has a much better shot at getting on the two deep early in his career and put himself in a position where he could get drafted.

I mean, If I got an offer from Stanford my recruitment would be over because I would immediately accept. But then again if I was a D1 recruit whose main priority was making it to the nfl I might feel differently.

Do you have kids?  Honest question but when they get to 17-18 years old like mine, they know what they want.  My boy would have looked at Stanford if they were interested but in the end would still have chosen the school he's going to because it 'felt right'.  He visits all of the potentials and goes from there and he's smart enough to know the paper that matter for him is where his MS and Phd's are coming from down the road, not his undergrad.

Then there's the reality an athlete is going to be basically living with his coach and teammates and if that doesn't click on the visit then regardless of whether it's Stanford or not, you need to walk away.

I do. Two boys.. but not 17-18. Ages 8 and 11. I know I'm biased. I have the good fortune of working for a company that's based in Mtn. View and I see how they recruit from Stanford. My sister-in-law and her husband both graduated from Stanford and I've seen the networking that accompanies their degrees. I get it's the kids decision but if it comes down to a "position coach being nice" vs. a degree that sets a person up for life??? Sorry.. I still don't get it.

Well you also have to remember that any kid that has a PAC 12 offer believes he can play in the nfl, so most are first and foremost going to want to go to a school that gives them the best chance to do just that. Maybe a kid looks at Stanford and sees there is a good chance he could ride the bench for his entire career and all but kill his chances at making it to the league, and would rather go to a mwc school where he has a much better shot at getting on the two deep early in his career and put himself in a position where he could get drafted.

I mean, If I got an offer from Stanford my recruitment would be over because I would immediately accept. But then again if I was a D1 recruit whose main priority was making it to the nfl I might feel differently.

Sorry, but if you have a chance to go to Stanford but instead go to Boise because you think you're chances of making the NFL are better, then you need new parents.

I do. Two boys.. but not 17-18. Ages 8 and 11. I know I'm biased. I have the good fortune of working for a company that's based in Mtn. View and I see how they recruit from Stanford. My sister-in-law and her husband both graduated from Stanford and I've seen the networking that accompanies their degrees. I get it's the kids decision but if it comes down to a "position coach being nice" vs. a degree that sets a person up for life??? Sorry.. I still don't get it.

And you might not 'get it' when they are ready to go to college and they make their choice.   That's my point.  What we wanted isn't the direction ours took and after the fact I'm really glad they made their own choices.

And you might not 'get it' when they are ready to go to college and they make their choice. That's my point. What we wanted isn't the direction ours took and after the fact I'm really glad they made their own choices.

Could they have gone Ivy League or to a Stanford?