Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ramalama

Status of MWC bowls? are they healthy?

I remember a few years back the Las Vegas bowl need some good attendance numbers to remain a bowl or something like that. I was wondering how the rest of our bowls are doing in terms on longevity? Obvious factors being Cash generated, TV appeal/ratings, Attendance, Tie ins ETC.

I think the Fort Worth bowl is well on its way to becomming a solid bowl that has future potential. Last year the game drew a crowd of 40,905 which is great IMO since TCU was not one of the two teams. Plus Cal is not exactely known from travelling huge amounts of fans. The tie ins are MWC and C-USA/Pac 10. With those ties I think good very crowds are to be had with several MWC teams capable of bringing big crowds to Fort Worth and with several C-USA teams close to Fort Worth.

LR5h5.St.58.jpg

The only bowl I would question is the New Mexico bowl if the Lobos didn't become eligible. The first year against SJSU, the game was not a sellout. Would the community come out to support the game it it were another MWC team? Not any kind of a cut here just a question.

The only bowl I would question is the New Mexico bowl if the Lobos didn't become eligible. The first year against SJSU, the game was not a sellout. Would the community come out to support the game it it were another MWC team? Not any kind of a cut here just a question.

Yeah, that will be the test. Interestingly, its the only bowl that (theoretically) is a day's drive for all 9 MWC schools:

Google driving time for each MWC city:

CO Springs- 5 hours 21 minutes

Fort Collins- 7 hours 21 minutes

Las Vegas 8 hours 16 minutes

Laramie- 8 hours 26 minutes

Ft. Worth- 9 hours 47 minutes

Provo- 9 hours 54 minutes

Salt Lake City- 10 hours 42 minutes

San Diego 11 hours 39 minutes

Of course most of those are more than the 5-6 hours limit that most will endure for a bowl game- only Air Force is within that. Still because it is the closest bowl for CSU and Wyo, and because those teams haven't had a bowl glut of late, I bet they would travel pretty well. BYU would probably travel pretty well, too. Not sure how well Utah would travel. I doubt the Frogs would have a big showing- probably 5-6K at the most since its a bit far to drive. San Diego or UNLV, should they get eligible, will almost certainly be snatched up by the Poinsettia.

The WAC, OTOH, pretty much only has NMSt that will travel well. Several other schools have good fan bases but it is just so far to travel. In the end, the bowl will probably need 10-15K locals, depending on who is playing.

Poinsettia, FW and LV are all in good shape with several good crowds in recent years.