Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Borg

Who will be the MWC "surprise" team of 2008

I've been burned one too many times in stating that SDSU will be the surprise so I'm not doing it this year.

I think Wyoming should be much improved this upcoming season. Their season will once again hinge on whether or not they can avoid the second half of the season collapse we've come to expect of the Pokes in recent years. I think they do it this year. Unfortunately for Wyoming the three headed monster in the conference (TCU, BYU, & Utah) should also be improved so I don't see them as a legitimate contender for the conference crown despite their anticipated improvement.

My darkhorse candidate is CSU. It'll be interesting to see what Fairchild can do with the Rams.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1. CSU will win 5 games

2. WYO goes to the NM bowl and beats a 4 loss Fresno State.

3. Unlv will pull a unlv and Sanford replaces McBride at Weber State.

4. TCU upsets OU and three MWC teams finish in the Top 20.

No suprises here.

Guest ragtimeJOE

Curious...who do you seeing as being the surprise team of the 2008 football season in the MWC?

What are the criteria for surprise team? BYU is expected to win, so either Utah or TCU winning could be considered a surprise. If you are talking about outside of the big 3, then the homer in me says WYO. However, no-one is expecting much from UNM, but they always seem to have talent. I think they will surprise teams.

CSU will definitely be a surprise team this year---surprisingly worse than expected :P (just kidding ewes; I'm curious to see what plays out in Ft. Collins this year).

I've been burned one too many times in stating that SDSU will be the surprise so I'm not doing it this year.

I think Wyoming should be much improved this upcoming season. Their season will once again hinge on whether or not they can avoid the second half of the season collapse we've come to expect of the Pokes in recent years. I think they do it this year. Unfortunately for Wyoming the three headed monster in the conference (TCU, BYU, & Utah) should also be improved so I don't see them as a legitimate contender for the conference crown despite their anticipated improvement.

My darkhorse candidate is CSU. It'll be interesting to see what Fairchild can do with the Rams.

Not so fast........The Pokes won five of their last seven games in 2006 to take third in the league. They deserved to go to the NewMexicoOnly Bowl over UNM...but let's not rehash that travesty.

With all of the warm fuzzies surrounding the offense (courtesy of Bob Cole) and defense during spring ball, the Pokes will only surprise if special teams pulls its weight in '08. Other than that, look for monster years out of RB Devin Moore and DL John Fletcher (if they stay healthy, of course). Also keep an eye on redshirt-freshman LB Gabe Knapton, who has a chance to be one of the best LBs ever at Wyoming by the time he's through. Some WAC/MWC fans might remember Gabe's uncle, Jeff, who was part of the dominant Cowboy D-lines of the late 80s who won back-to-back (undefeated) conference championships. The kid can play.

How many BYU fans will be making the trip to Laramie to watch the WYO-Utah game on October 11 -- otherwise known as Bataan Death March -- Part Two for Coach Dim-Whittingham? You shouldn't miss this spectacle, if possible.

How many BYU fans will be making the trip to Laramie to watch the WYO-Utah game on October 11 -- otherwise known as Bataan Death March -- Part Two for Coach Dim-Whittingham? You shouldn't miss this spectacle, if possible.

I'm considering it. Will have to see how the season (and my schedule) pan out. This game has so much drama associated with it...that it truly is a "can't miss" game for this year. Should be a fun one.

1. CSU will win 5 games

2. WYO goes to the NM bowl and beats a 4 loss Fresno State.

3. Unlv will pull a unlv and Sanford replaces McBride at Weber State.

4. TCU upsets OU and three MWC teams finish in the Top 20.

No suprises here.

Does that mean that UNLV hires McBride to replace Sanford? ;)

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

so...maybe im biased just a little...but I think AF will be a surprise team...I'm not even going to discuss an MWC title. 8-4 certainly isn't unreasonable.

"The Problem with Quotes on the Internet is that it's Difficult to Determine Whether or Not They are Genuine."

--Abraham Lincoln

I will make a bold prediction right now, bookmark it if you like. I say NOBODY leaves Laramie this year with a win.

"They're a bunch of jealous little dicks who use the anonymity of the internet to insult people who're doing what they wish they were doing." ~ Holden McNeil

I will make a bold prediction right now, bookmark it if you like. I say NOBODY leaves Laramie this year with a win.

Not even the Pokes? That's a lot of games past 5 OTs...;)

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

UNM will definetly suck in 2008. UNM has scheduled alot of bodybag games. UNM is living on borrowed time. I know that the truth hurts some people.

You are not a tool...you are a toolbox! Since when is a body bag game at home? A body bag game is playing Ohio St. at Columbus, not a home game against a middle of the road Big-12 or Pac-10 team. It is a tough schedule, but all the games are winable. What a great opportunity for Lobo fans! I can't wait for this home schedule.