Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndreAztec

SDSU AD Jim Sterk "Its not all done yet...

Guest #1Stunner

It will be Air Force.

Air Force is western, has great academics, isn't too far west, and is the preferred choice over Fresno for the eastern Big East schools. Air Force is a natural match to Navy. TV partners also probably prefer Air Force over Fresno.

Air Force can park its Oly Sports in the WAC or WCC. (AFA and DENVER to the WCC---BYU campaigns to get Air Force in).

Air Force also provides the added benefit of making the Big East a more attractive option for BYU eventually joining. BYU joining would allow Villanova to add football.

Even though you are not.a Lobo apologist.....what you say (about UNM) is correct.

UNM should be in the discussion for reasons you have stated.

However, it appears that UNM is not in the discussion and I hope they stay out.

But, that's just me and my opinion.

I think the Lobos would make great sense for an all sports western add due to the solid market, solid BBall and overall Olympics strength. Obviously the weak spot has been football, but that no longer seems to be a huge concern for the BE. For football only.... no, I can't see it....but stranger things have happened.

It will be Air Force.

Air Force is western, has great academics, isn't too far west, and is the preferred choice over Fresno for the eastern Big East schools. Air Force is a natural match to Navy. TV partners also probably prefer Air Force over Fresno.

Air Force can park its Oly Sports in the WAC or WCC. (AFA and DENVER to the WCC---BYU campaigns to get Air Force in).

Air Force also provides the added benefit of making the Big East a more attractive option for BYU eventually joining. BYU joining would allow Villanova to add football.

We'll see. AFA already turned that pile of crap down once. Will Navy's inclusion be enough to persuade them? Also, don't know how the academics of AFA matter in this case....just look at who else was invited and you'll know academics are far, far, far down the list. But then again, football must also be far down the list too.

If AFA goes it is because of Navy and a potential bigger paycheck. I doubt they would want to align themselves with Boise (who they have nothing in common with and have zero history) or SDSU (who has spent more time in the MWC basement than a potato).

or SDSU (who has spent more time in the MWC basement than a potato).

# of times SDSU has finished last or tied for last in MWC history 1 (w/ Wyoming)

# or times Wyoming has finished last or tied for last in MWC history 6

nXlmx.gif

Back to Back Mountain West Tourney Champs

# of times SDSU has finished last or tied for last in MWC history 1 (w/ Wyoming)

# or times Wyoming has finished last or tied for last in MWC history 6

Cowboys have a mighty high opinion of themselves.

Posted Image

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it a little weird that the SDSU AD is weighing in on the future of the alliance?

I assume it is all out of benevolence again. They are such good guys... always watching out for their former conference mates the way they do...

Air Force may be the preferred choice of the Eastern Big East schools, but I think Fresno is the preferred choice of the Western Big East schools. Also, AFA presents some problems. They have already turned them down, they want to stay with CSU and Wyoming, they have no where to put their OLY sports, and it doesn't do anything to for WAC stability (Boise OLY). The WCC is not going to take AFA. The Big West is not going to take AFA. Fresno would seem like the easiest solution to all of those problems. Fresno and Boise to Big West providing major stability to Fresno, Boise, and San Diego State's OLY sports. The Big West would be drooling over the rivalry and programs of that trio. I am fine either way. My dream would be for Fresno-Boise-San Diego-Nevada-Hawaii-UNLV to all be together, but I'll be fine staying in the MWC/Alliance with Hawaii, Nevada, and UNLV or going to the Western Big East with Boise and San Diego State. But's it's easy to see why Fresno would be a clean and easy get for the Western Big East.

Fresno State Bulldogs Football

First season: 1921
Stadium: Bulldog Stadium
Year built: 1980
Seating capacity: 41,031
Conference: Mountain West
Division: West
Past conferences:
  • California Coast Conference (1922–1924)
  • Northern California Athletic Conference (1925–1940)
  • California Collegiate Athletic Association (1939–1950, 1953–1968)
  • Big West Conference (1969–1991)
  • Western Athletic Conference (1992–2012)
All-time record: 565–387–27 (.591)
Bowl record: 12–12 (.500)
Conference titles: 26
Consensus All-Americans: 2

So, your source says Tulane or ECU will be the new "western" member of the Big East?

Not a chance. Even ECU fans aren't saying they're hearing anything about their school and that makes sense since Greensville is small and isn't within 500 miles of a big city except Raleigh, which is home to NC State. Tulane? Even less of a chance. Horrifically bad football, mediocre basketball and a president who has been the primary cog in creation of the Bloated America Conference.

Boom goes the dynamite.

As long as the BE addition is for football only, you don't have a snow's chance in Provo.

...so, there's a chance?

LMAO

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

# of times SDSU has finished last or tied for last in MWC history 1 (w/ Wyoming) # or times Wyoming has finished last or tied for last in MWC history 6

burnsauce-1.gif

This ^^^ Why would Sterk say "it may impact what we're doing on the Big West side as well" if, after the Big East adds another western partner, SDSU was still going to the Big West with its Olympic sports? It wouldn't "impact" what "we're (SDSU's) doing" if San Diego State was implying that another member would be joining the Big West with them. The impact on SDSU in that case would be zero, since they'd still be going to the Big West. Looks to me like SDSU, Boise State and ???? will be taking their Olympic sports to the WAC.

Boise was never going anywhere else.

As to SDSU, where we park our Olympic sports will depend almost entirely on whether we could return to the WAC without spending any more money than if we play in the BWC. The only way that could happen is for the WAC to improve itself enough to get a good enough contract to pay the difference in travel expenses. AFA's Olympic sports teams are downright bad so I can't see how the academy going to the WAC would improve things, plus it would require many trips to the front range for SDSU. Fresno, OTOH, would bring both better Olympic sports and half-day bus trips which would save a lot of money over going to Colorado Springs.

But why would Fresno want to return to the WAC since they could very easily gain admission to the BWC too? Could something be in the works to have Cal Poly and UCDavis move up to FBS and join the WAC for all sports including football if Fresno joins the BE for football only?

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner

Air Force may be the preferred choice of the Eastern Big East schools, but I think Fresno is the preferred choice of the Western Big East schools. Also, AFA presents some problems. They have already turned them down, they want to stay with CSU and Wyoming, they have no where to put their OLY sports, and it doesn't do anything to for WAC stability (Boise OLY). The WCC is not going to take AFA. The Big West is not going to take AFA. Fresno would seem like the easiest solution to all of those problems. Fresno and Boise to Big West providing major stability to Fresno, Boise, and San Diego State's OLY sports. The Big West would be drooling over the rivalry and programs of that trio. I am fine either way. My dream would be for Fresno-Boise-San Diego-Nevada-Hawaii-UNLV to all be together, but I'll be fine staying in the MWC/Alliance with Hawaii, Nevada, and UNLV or going to the Western Big East with Boise and San Diego State. But's it's easy to see why Fresno would be a clean and easy get for the Western Big East.

Bad assumption. The WCC would probably take AFA just fine. They are under no hard set rule.

UNLV is the only choice! Without a doubt UNLV will go to the Big East.

UNLV will also start a Non-Football Western Conference with:

UNLV

SDSU

BYU

Boise

Hawaii

etc.

Don't look now but your doofus president has already said he won't split up UNLV's mighty football team from the rest of your sports.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Gonzaga isn't leaving the WCC they fit perfectly there

All sports

SJSU

FSU

SDSU

BYU

UNLV

Hawaii

BSU

Olympic sports

Seattle

Denver

This would work well imo but we would honestly have to give BYU some TV power to get their football.

The TV deal would have to be along the lines of the B12 since it isn't just BYU which would warrant a bigger share of the pie than most others. Which is probably why it couldn't work. I would like to see SJSU in the same conference with us again. However, although SJSU is similarly located in a major metro area, the Spartans are just an afterthought there.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I never should have commented.............SDSU people are partolling the board to make the case the new BE is the 2nd coming of the SEC

Naw. We're patrolling to make sure folks keep in mind that the Bloated America Conference will be the 2nd coming of the WAC 16.

Boom goes the dynamite.