Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Dave Rice Replacement

Someone mentioned Tim Floyd a while ago. I thought he could do well in Vegas.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

My list:

Gregg Marshall (may not happen)

Archie Miller

Steve Alford

Dan Monson

George Karl (may get an NBA gig soon)

Mike Montgomery (in a Spoon-like move, re-hire him to settled down and get players back)

Stew Morill (see Mike Montgomery)

You guys should go after Mark Few... Im sure he could turn your program around.

I love Few, but it aint gonna happen.

I'll throw this name out there. Greg Kamansky- HC at Cal Poly Pomona.

http://www.broncoathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=268&path=mbball

In this years exhibition games, the broncos lost to Stanford by 3 pts; lost to Zona by 16. In their 2010-11 exhibition game, they lost to Duke by 21- respectable when you consider the levels of differences. Also in 2010-11, the broncos were D2 nat'l champs. 

http://www.broncoathletics.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=63&path=mbball

I know Runnin' Rebel b-ball is king in Vegas so a football type hire won't fly there. When looking at it, Kamansky has accomplished impressive feats at the D2 level.

I think he'd be a great head coach, and I really like him. But this isn't the Big West.

He's suited to be Reggie's replacement at CSUN.

UNLV wants a Tark reincarnation, unfortunately that type of basketball doesn’t win any longer.  UNLV needs to decide the style it wants prior to its next coaching hire. 

Thank you.

Marshall may be unrealistic. He's happy where he is and probably won't leave WSU for another mid major. I'm guessing he's waiting for an elite level job to open up.

Another mid-major??????

Only UNR is a mid-major. So much that your fans are begging for Dave Rice.

He may be realistic though since hot mid-major coaches seldom leave.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

Someone mentioned Tim Floyd a while ago. I thought he could do well in Vegas.

+++++ him, the guys is a big bum.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

Yeah, it would be too hard for you to go to the Thomas & Mack to watch a Rebel Basketball team that actually wins and plays the game the right way under strong leadership. We wouldn't want you to have to endure the hardship of watching good fundamental basketball under Alford.

not in a million years would i want to see that asshole on a unlv sideline..

You can't go wrong if you hire the guy that the Real Runnin' Rebel fans want:

Reggie Theus

since i wanted reggie to be hired initially, which way do you go here.... alford hater makes me not a real rebel fan, and previously wanting reggie at unlv makes me a real rebel fan...which is it?

Hoiberg. And yes I know he won't leave Iowa St. but I would love him at UNLV. Also I hope to never see another UNLV alum as coach. You can see with Rice they get in and they bring the program down and then nobody will pull the trigger.

He would be a great coach, but like you said, he isn't leaving ISU.

We're going to have to be a bit more selective if the baseline for a coach is to just be "more qualified than Dave Rice"--pretty much any coach in the country can hold that distinction.

mike peck isn't doing anything

he'd be a massive improvement 

I kinda like Dan Hurley at Rhode Island. He turned Wagner from a 13-17 team in his first season to a 25-5 team. Now Rhody is making strides under him with an NBA-style prospect EC Matthews. Might be an out-there type hire, but I see Hurley making noise in the Atlantic 10 if he stays.

My no's:

Mike Peck

Alford

Howland

no coach over 65 (Unless he can stay at least 5 years)

The reaches and not realistic:

Shaka Smart

Gregg Marshall

Realistic:

Archie Miller   (my favorite)

Tim Floyd

Theus

Justin Hutson

Menzies

Monson

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Archie Miller would be a great hire, but he might be out of your price range. He makes 1.6 mil a year at Dayton. I don't know what the buyout is.

Maybe over four years he makes 1.6.  They were paying him $325k in 2013 and then last year they gave him an extension and a pay raise but, I seriously doubt it went to 1.6.  Do you have a source for your information?

Maybe over four years he makes 1.6.  They were paying him $325k in 2013 and then last year they gave him an extension and a pay raise but, I seriously doubt it went to 1.6.  Do you have a source for your information?

he had him at wsu to start with...i don't know what gregg marshall is paid, but i think that's whose salary is listed...

he had him at wsu to start with...i don't know what gregg marshall is paid, but i think that's whose salary is listed...

He is talking about Archie Miller.  Sean Miller has a base salary of 1.6 but his brother Archie is no where close to that.