Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

csufan04

SDSU vs CSU "White Out"

Wanna know what hurt them that day?

I had floor seats courtesy of the auto dealer that has their logo on the floor. It was the third time I've sat on the floor.

The first time was several years ago against BYU. I remember giving Lee Cummard some crap about a shot that somehow fell in and hum turning to me with the biggest +++++-eating grin you've ever seen. CSU lost that day.

Next time was last season against Denver. CSU played horribly and got killed.

And then there was the WYO game this year. The only highlight was getting referee Mike Reed to stare me down after I had ripped him a new one. CSU lost.

I am 0-3 when sitting courtside. It was all my fault. I'll be sitting in my regular seats 7 rows right behind Eustachy for the game on Saturday.

I'm surprised Reed could hear you, over Eustachy.  Perhaps LE should have been given his 2nd T because of you?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

I'm surprised Reed could hear you, over Eustachy.  Perhaps LE should have been given his 2nd T because of you?

The floor seats were opposite of Eustachy 2 seats in from the press table. Right where officials are known to park. Reed stood right next to me and I hammered on him for a horribly missed call (if you remember, that crew really struggled on both ends of the floor). He stopped and stared for a good 3 seconds. I decided to back off at that point. I wanted to scream "watch the effin game!

The floor seats were opposite of Eustachy 2 seats in from the press table. Right where officials are known to park. Reed stood right next to me and I hammered on him for a horribly missed call (if you remember, that crew really struggled on both ends of the floor). He stopped and stared for a good 3 seconds. I decided to back off at that point. I wanted to scream "watch the effin game!

I've always been pretty impressed with officials tuning out the fans.  Moose Stubing would tune us out during play then during time outs he'd walk over to fans that were raising some hell and start chatting with 'em.  Always in a good natured way.

I've never been stared down by an official but I have been by assistants on the opposing teams bench. I was soluted by Jim Boylen 4-5 yrs ago.  He was animated but had a good attitude and understanding of fans.

I've always been pretty impressed with officials tuning out the fans.  Moose Stubing would tune us out during play then during time outs he'd walk over to fans that were raising some hell and start chatting with 'em.  Always in a good natured way.

I've never been stared down by an official but I have been by assistants on the opposing teams bench. I was soluted by Jim Boylen 4-5 yrs ago.  He was animated but had a good attitude and understanding of fans.

I thought Vern Harris was going to kick me out of a Wyoming at DU basketball game a couple years ago.  I admit to being a little too much.  

Back in the day, a buddy of mine was yelling at Moose.....telling Moose he saw him on tv.  Moose got a smile on his face and my buddy proceeded to say..."and you suck".   He lost his smile quick, but was always a good sport.  

I chatted a bunch with David Hall before the DU game last year; couldnt fault him that day for CSU's loss cuz the team was flat out horrible.

My son sat in the floor seats for the Boise game and Verne Harris was actually having a good game. My son told him so and Verne was very appreciative of the kind words. Some people don't like Verne much. I think he's about as good as it gets.

The real reason I backed off on Mike Reed during the CSU-WYO game was because there was a point in the game where I realized that he and Larry Spaulding were doing their best to cover for Dan Chrisman who just might be the worst official you'll see. Early in the game, CSU's Tiel Daniels was called for a 3-second violation. It was the right call. A few possessions later, Larry Nance parked his butt in the lane for several seconds, received a pass and then took a few more seconds to make a move. I yelled out "Three seconds" with Reed right next to me. Problem is that it wasnt Reed's call to make, it was Chrisman's. Daniels then fouled Nance (again a good call). At which point Reed yelled to Chrisman "Call it both ways Dan. Both ways!." That was Reed's way of telling him he missed the three-second call.

I chatted a bunch with David Hall before the DU game last year; couldnt fault him that day for CSU's loss cuz the team was flat out horrible.

My son sat in the floor seats for the Boise game and Verne Harris was actually having a good game. My son told him so and Verne was very appreciative of the kind words. Some people don't like Verne much. I think he's about as good as it gets.

The real reason I backed off on Mike Reed during the CSU-WYO game was because there was a point in the game where I realized that he and Larry Spaulding were doing their best to cover for Dan Chrisman who just might be the worst official you'll see. Early in the game, CSU's Tiel Daniels was called for a 3-second violation. It was the right call. A few possessions later, Larry Nance parked his butt in the lane for several seconds, received a pass and then took a few more seconds to make a move. I yelled out "Three seconds" with Reed right next to me. Problem is that it wasnt Reed's call to make, it was Chrisman's. Daniels then fouled Nance (again a good call). At which point Reed yelled to Chrisman "Call it both ways Dan. Both ways!." That was Reed's way of telling him he missed the three-second call.

When three seconds gets called, it's usually 5-7 seconds.  What's aggravating is when one team has an offense that moves guys in and out of the key so that no player is really there for 3+ seconds and the other team posts guys up and it seems like they're there forever, with no call.  When a player is one foot in, most officials don't consider that in the lane, unless it's in a posting up position, which isn't correct.  Any part of foot in starts/continues the count.  Offensive guys up close to the FT line seem to never get called for 3 seconds.

That said, there are alot of fans that don't know the rules.  Two that come to mind are (1) the count doesn't start until the ball is possessed in the front court and (2) any shot ends the count, even an airball.  Fans around me are always yelling for 3 seconds, not understanding these rules.  "The shot didn't hit the rim, 3 seconds should have been called"...errrrr!!!