Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV presser going on (I think)

Well Art Briles was pretty much a high school coach when he came to Houston so it worked before.

Not really.  He had been on the Texas Tech staff for a few years.  Plus, Sanchez isn't that green.  He has been a college assistant at New Mexico State.  I still think it is likely that he would be a lousy hire.  Normally, guys without connections just won't be able to hire good enough assistant coaches.

Not really.  He had been on the Texas Tech staff for a few years.  Plus, Sanchez isn't that green.  He has been a college assistant at New Mexico State.  I still think it is likely that he would be a lousy hire.  Normally, guys without connections just won't be able to hire good enough assistant coaches.

I also don't think you can compare situations, Sanchez is a shark swimming in a pool of minnows while Briles was a shark swimming in a pool of other sharks. He just happened to be the biggest shark. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

What ties do they have to UNLV? How about to the coach?

They have ties to the University of Houston and I'll wait for the Houston fans to indicate what they've done at Houston ....just try to hear them over the crickets. 

I also don't think you can compare situations, Sanchez is a shark swimming in a pool of minnows while Briles was a shark swimming in a pool of other sharks. He just happened to be the biggest shark. 

Briles was the coach of my high school's rival.  College coaches would come watch his team's spring practices to learn the spread offense.  

I have no problem bringing a coach up, same with Malzhan as Briles, but not straight to HC.

North Texas has tried this twice and it failed both times.  The most recent is when they hired Todd Dodge (former UT quarterback) away from Southlake Carroll, which is a slightly better program than Gorman.  Back around the early 90's, they hired Dennis Parker from Cleburne High School in Texas.  Neither of those guys did anything at North Texas, because they couldn't hire experienced enough assistant coaches.

North Texas has tried this twice and it failed both times.  The most recent is when they hired Todd Dodge (former UT quarterback) away from Southlake Carroll, which is a slightly better program than Gorman.  Back around the early 90's, they hired Dennis Parker from Cleburne High School in Texas.  Neither of those guys did anything at North Texas, because they couldn't hire experienced enough assistant coaches.

Dodge also brought his son Riley in to play QB as he was a top rated QB and if I remember correctly they had to convert him to DB because he wasn't that great of a college QB.

I hope he did better with your high school team because his tenure with the Giants was a disaster.

Were were an expansion school (new school) so we didn't win until the final game of the first season........he probably finished his HS career with a losing record

0806gorman22_t653.jpg?214bc4f9d9bd7c08c7

That great. But if they were willing to support UNLV football, why haven't they done so in the past? Do they have a close connection with the Gorman coach? If so, if the coach leaves Vegas does their support of Rebel FB end at that point?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama