Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterfrog

SEC Powerhouse Missouri Wins the East for the 2nd Straight Year

They don't in the Big 12.  The conference has already released a press release saying that they award conference championships to any team with the same record.  No tiebreakers here.

Tiebreakers are for bowl games and determining who plays in a conference championship when there are co-divisional champs.

Those who do not win the tiebreaker are still considered division co-champs, just like TCU despite losing the tiebreaker with Baylor will be considered a conference co-champ. This is not something unique to the Big 12. What is unique to the Big 12 is not playing a conference title game.

If you had a championship game, TCU would be sitting at home.

Yet because of that technicality, would you really argue that TCU was somehow more deserving of accolades than say a Miss State team that went 11-1, but lost the tiebreaker to Alabama? TCU and Miss State have done the exact same thing in their conference thus far, the only difference is the SEC has a title game while the Big 12 doesn't.

And can we be honest. The Big 12 really needs to move their marketing away from the "One true champ" mantra

They don't anywhere.

Tiebreakers are for bowl games and determining who plays in a conference championship when there are co-divisional champs.

Those who do not win the tiebreaker are still considered division co-champs, just like TCU despite losing the tiebreaker with Baylor will be considered a conference co-champ. This is not something unique to the Big 12. What is unique to the Big 12 is not playing a conference title game.

If you had a championship game, TCU would be sitting at home.

Yet because of that technicality, would you really argue that TCU was somehow more deserving of accolades than say a Miss State team that went 11-1, but lost the tiebreaker to Alabama? TCU and Miss State have done the exact same thing in their conference thus far, the only difference is the SEC has a title game while the Big 12 doesn't.

With a win, TCU will be conference champions and it will either be shared with Kansas State or Baylor.  I think Mississippi State and TCU are similar.  Right now TCU has the best win out of the two and they both have lost on the road to a good one loss team.

They don't in the Big 12.  The conference has already released a press release saying that they award conference championships to any team with the same record.  No tiebreakers here.

One true champion indeed.

I would never think my team won a conference when they tied with a team they lost to.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I have said that the SEC is overrated for many years now. But even I have to concede that the SEC West is absolutely ridiculous this year. I think all the teams in the SEC West have lost a total of three games to teams outside of the SEC West. (Georgia beat both Auburn and Arkansas, and Arkansas lost to Missouri today.) Yes, many of those games were against OOC creampuffs, but it includes games against the SEC East (as well as the quality wins mentioned above). Statistically the SEC West this season may be the toughest division in the history of college football. The SEC East, on the other hand, is good, but nothing to write home about. They're probably on par with the Big 12 and the PAC-12 South.

I have said that the SEC is overrated for many years now. But even I have to concede that the SEC West is absolutely ridiculous this year. I think all the teams in the SEC West have lost a total of three games to teams outside of the SEC West. (Georgia beat both Auburn and Arkansas, and Arkansas lost to Missouri today.) Yes, many of those games were against OOC creampuffs, but it includes games against the SEC East (as well as the quality wins mentioned above). Statistically the SEC West this season may be the toughest division in the history of college football. The SEC East, on the other hand, is good, but nothing to write home about. They're probably on par with the Big 12 and the PAC-12 South.

LOL

No doubt.  Just the best conference every year for nearly a decade, winning national championships and bowls galore.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

LOL

No doubt.  Just the best conference every year for nearly a decade, winning national championships and bowls galore.

I wouldn't argue with the claim that they have been the strongest conference on average over the past decade. But there were plenty of seasons where they weren't the strongest conference, and even when they were, generally the difference between the SEC and the other top-ranked conferences was slight. If you listen to some of the talking heads on TV, they act like the SEC is as good as the AFC East and that every other conference is some kind of JV league. That's simply ridiculous. The average difference between the SEC and the Big 12 or PAC-12 has been fairly small at best, and there have been several years when those two leagues were stronger from top to bottom.

I wouldn't argue with the claim that they have been the strongest conference on average over the past decade. But there were plenty of seasons where they weren't the strongest conference, and even when they were, generally the difference between the SEC and the other top-ranked conferences was slight. If you listen to some of the talking heads on TV, they act like the SEC is as good as the AFC East and that every other conference is some kind of JV league. That's simply ridiculous. The average difference between the SEC and the Big 12 or PAC-12 has been fairly small at best, and there have been several years when those two leagues were stronger from top to bottom.

You hear and believe what you want to hear.  They have done it on the field when it mattered, and everyone on this message board likes to nitpick at the SEC and demand they should play even harder competition OOC than they already face.  If teams would beat them in bowl games and in championship games, they wouldn't have any choice but to stfu.  The SEC West is so much better than the rest of college football this year it's ridiculous.  This has been the case for many years in a row with regards to the SEC.  The PAC had a very nice season last year, and it was close for once, but most years they are not close to as good as the SEC.  There's a few seasons where the PAC is slightly better (2010 or 2013) or worse (2007), but it's overall not that close between the PAC and SEC.  The best comparison is the Big 12 which rated out better in 2011, but still has not reached the heights or even come close to the dominance the SEC has exhibited on the field in games that matter.  It's obvious the PAC, SEC, and Big 12 are the best conferences, but when the SEC has placed 9 teams in the championship the last 8 years, and 10 since 2003 while winning 8 national titles, the argument becomes pretty silly at that point.  

Shutting up the SEC is easy, you beat them over and over when you have the chance.  The ACC and Big 12 need to do their part and beat them in bowls and when they have chances against them in the regular season instead of rolling over and getting their asses beat like Clemson, Kansas State, and West Virginia did when they faced SEC competition this year.  Oklahoma has shown decently against the SEC the last few years, but it's been few and far between overall.

At some point you have to just tip your hat to that conference and acknowledge all of their accomplishments.  They're the best football conference and what everyone else has done over the last 15 years pales in comparison.

Au contraire, I think TCU has racked up some good wins.  Minny, @ Texas, Oklahoma, @ WVU are all signature too.  KState is a signature win for Auburn too.

Auburn isn't in the NC playoff discussion.  I still don't think Minnesota is all that great.  Oklahoma is a 3 loss team who's best win is against a 5 loss WVU team.  WVU has lost three in a row despite upsetting Baylor.  Texas went 6-6.  They're good wins as far as overall programs.  Given how said programs have performed this year, a lot of those teams are down.

Yes they are, unless Minnesota wins the next two.  Kansas State would be Mississippi State's signature win too, since they don't have one against a team that is rated as highly.

I don't think MSU and KSU played.

You can only play who you play. So basically the SEC should just be the majority of the top ten? I'd take TCU in a game against about anyone.

Nobody around here seemed to be willing to give Marshall the benefit of the doubt with regards to that.

I think there's a heavy anti-SEC bias around here.  I don't know if it's jealousy, lack of objectivity, because people are pulling for TCU (maybe nebraska in your case), or just being sick of them as a conference, but I'm not going to hammer Auburn for losing 3 games to teams that have been ranked for most of the year, and two of them ranked most of the year in the top 10.  I think the SEC West is so much better than the rest of college football right now, that I'd have no problem with the majority of the division being ranked right in the playoff standings.  If they're going to rank a 4 loss Utah team, I don't see why they shouldn't rank a 4 loss LSU team with losses against a bunch of teams in the playoff discussion.  Neutral field, I'm taking LSU over most teams 15-25.  Louisville isn't better than LSU.  Neither is Utah, Boise, or Marshall.  I don't think Clemson or Minnesota is either.

I don't think MSU and KSU played.

My point exactly.  Mississippi State has played exactly one team in the top 10 and they were behind 2 scores until the final 20 seconds.  Kansas State is currently ranked higher than any team that Mississippi State has beaten.

My point exactly.  Mississippi State has played exactly one team in the top 10 and they were behind 2 scores until the final 20 seconds.  Kansas State is currently ranked higher than any team that Mississippi State has beaten.

I continue to think your dismissal of MSU is funny.  It won't matter because they'll get left out either way at this point, due to CCG.  TCU and Baylor will be left out for the same reason because the committee will find a convenient way to dismiss Ohio State losing at home to a bad VaTech team.

I continue to think your dismissal of MSU is funny.  It won't matter because they'll get left out either way at this point, due to CCG.  TCU and Baylor will be left out for the same reason because the committee will find a convenient way to dismiss Ohio State losing at home to a bad VaTech team.

I'm not dismissive, I think they have a very good team.  I just think they are getting by on a lot of hype over beating teams that are in the lower part of the top 25.  They have a tough game tomorrow and still have a pretty good shot at winning their division.