Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rofl_copter_dos

MWC football recruiting 2014

One yes, the other likely not. But we aren't rich and that was out from the start basically. But again, that's not the point. It was up to them and I'm glad my wife and I agreed on that.

Not sure what you mean by saying "you're not rich?" Are you saying that you allowed your children to pick which college they want to attend and you help with the tuition or that they had the choice of attending a Boise vs. a Stanford for free?

Could they have gone Ivy League or to a Stanford?

Ivy League schools offer no sports scholarships. Athletics will get you in the door (even the worst have something like 5 qualified rejects to every admittance). But someone has to pay the steep tuition.

bosalectaisright.thumb.png.d417647bfb450

Unless their parents are rich, most athletes get a ton of financial help.

To be considered 'rich' is not hard.  Assets like homes and retirement accounts are used in this calculus.  By these standards, most folks are rich.  Very Obamaish. 

To be considered 'rich' is not hard. Assets like homes and retirement accounts are used in this calculus. By these standards, most folks are rich. Very Obamaish.

It's about income, tax returns. Doesn't have anything to do with retirement accounts. At least, that's what I've been told. You're very political.

To be considered 'rich' is not hard. Assets like homes and retirement accounts are used in this calculus. By these standards, most folks are rich. Very Obamaish.

Stanford and most Ivy League schools are "needs based." If you're smart enough to get in endowments take care of you. Now, if your family is loaded it doesn't matter.. You're willing and able to pay for the access.

It's about income, tax returns. Doesn't have anything to do with retirement accounts. At least, that's what I've been told. You're very political.

Well you were told wrong.  

Ivy League schools consider parent's wealth to include residential values and retirement accounts.  For example, 

check out  Harvard's Net Price Calculator:  https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/net-price-calculator   Try Dartmouth's Net Price Calculator: http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~finaid/dfce.cgi

Plug in your numbers.

Not sure what you mean by saying "you're not rich?" Are you saying that you allowed your children to pick which college they want to attend and you help with the tuition or that they had the choice of attending a Boise vs. a Stanford for free?

We saved X for each.  It paid for Masters in state but we encouraged them to go out of state and they both did so they incurred debt just getting their bachelors.   They didn't have stars in their eyes for Harvard either, but they researched what they wanted to study and where they wanted to live.   They did not choose cheap options, trust me.  And like me with my pitiful degree they'll do fine.  

We saved X for each.  It paid for Masters in state but we encouraged them to go out of state and they both did so they incurred debt just getting their bachelors.   They didn't have stars in their eyes for Harvard either, but they researched what they wanted to study and where they wanted to live.   They did not choose cheap options, trust me.  And like me with my pitiful degree they'll do fine.  

I think we're arguing two different things roughrider. It sounds like the decisions you and your family made are in line with the direction I hope my children go. What I'm saying is that if you have the option for a free education at Stanford or for a free education at "an Boise" it make no sense to opt for Boise, especially if that decision is made because of football. I know that's not a popular decision on a sports board but that's how I feel.

That said, when my children are faced with paying for their own tuition, I honestly hope that they stay in state for undergrad, and then they go out of state for grad school. (For the record, my wife an I both attended Nevada, and we both have masters; my MA degree is from Washington St. and her MS is from the University of Colorado.) Because when they are my age, I suspect an BA/BS will be no better than a high school diploma. We are also pushing hard for our children to focus on STEM degrees. I know I sound like an ass, but based on what I see in my career, I think the future is going to be incredibly difficult for those who don't have at least a masters with a focus on STEM. (My degree isn't a STEM degree, I'm obviously not that smart, my wife's is in a medical profession.)

I would also say this.. I've had several discussions with people that have college-aged kids who leveraged savings, loans, mortgages, etc. to help their children attend very expensive schools to get degrees in history, or other liberal arts degrees, and even teaching. For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would attend an incredibly expensive school for a profession that simply doesn't pay well? I probably offended some with that perspective too... :)

right now about 2/3 of HS grads go to college, and about 55% get degree's.  Thats actually not bad numbers imo. 

The problem is too many people want to get 4-yr Psych or Music degree's, which by itself is kind of useless.  Still worth something though. 

Well you were told wrong. Or more truthfully, you wanted to look smart, guessed wrong and got caught.

Ivy League schools consider parent's wealth to include residential values and retirement accounts. For example,

check out Harvard's Net Price Calculator: https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/net-price-calculator Try Dartmouth's Net Price Calculator: http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~finaid/dfce.cgi

Plug in your numbers.

Got caught?

SJSU picks up David Williams. 

Another three star recruit.... S David Williams our of Dorsey HS; 6'1" 180, with offers from Colorado, Colorado St, HI, ID, North Dakota and Yale. He'll still probably trip to CO in late Jan so we'll see...SJS looking to continue to bolster defensive backfield-shaping up as a very good class, but a lot can still happen.

Another three star recruit.... S David Williams our of Dorsey HS; 6'1" 180, with offers from Colorado, Colorado St, HI, ID, North Dakota and Yale. He'll still probably trip to CO in late Jan so we'll see...SJS looking to continue to bolster defensive backfield-shaping up as a very good class, but a lot can still happen.

Most of your commits continue on with their trips. Why's that?

I think we're arguing two different things roughrider. It sounds like the decisions you and your family made are in line with the direction I hope my children go. What I'm saying is that if you have the option for a free education at Stanford or for a free education at "an Boise" it make no sense to opt for Boise, especially if that decision is made because of football. I know that's not a popular decision on a sports board but that's how I feel.

That said, when my children are faced with paying for their own tuition, I honestly hope that they stay in state for undergrad, and then they go out of state for grad school. (For the record, my wife an I both attended Nevada, and we both have masters; my MA degree is from Washington St. and her MS is from the University of Colorado.) Because when they are my age, I suspect an BA/BS will be no better than a high school diploma. We are also pushing hard for our children to focus on STEM degrees. I know I sound like an ass, but based on what I see in my career, I think the future is going to be incredibly difficult for those who don't have at least a masters with a focus on STEM. (My degree isn't a STEM degree, I'm obviously not that smart, my wife's is in a medical profession.)

I would also say this.. I've had several discussions with people that have college-aged kids who leveraged savings, loans, mortgages, etc. to help their children attend very expensive schools to get degrees in history, or other liberal arts degrees, and even teaching. For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would attend an incredibly expensive school for a profession that simply doesn't pay well? I probably offended some with that perspective too... :)

Had that same discussion with #1 in our family.  Ignored my advice and went to a $50k liberal arts school that's pretty exclusive and is now several thou in debt while starting the career.  Oh well, I tried.

Most of your commits continue on with their trips. Why's that?

Well there are a few factors and reasons... this class was almost full months ago-so more time for "other offers" to come about-often other offers from BCS schools-means potentially added trips.  It's not easy for FBS programs to land kids with BCS offers, so to be competing against them for recruits is a good thing, and it's understandable if they want to check out the perceived "bigger school" Also, you get five visits as a recruit; why not take them it's only your future.

Star system is pretty lulzy...still laughing at Jalen Canty's rating. Dude is 6-8, 270, and had legit basketball offers but he's somehow a 2*.  Like David Williams, tho.  Good get for you guys.

Star system is pretty lulzy...still laughing at Jalen Canty's rating. Dude is 6-8, 270, and had legit basketball offers but he's somehow a 2*. Like David Williams, tho. Good get for you guys.

Recruiting is obviously far from an exact science and a lot of guessing as to who will be successful at the next level and what their rating is....but to me, above all else, the biggest indicator as to who projects well at the next level is the amount of "other offers" a recruit receives from D1 schools....if multiple D1 recruiters, who get paid to evaluate talent, deem a kid scholarship worthy you're more likely to see production from him than the sleeper with no other offers......I mean there are plenty of examples of flops or surprise sleepers, but in general you want the kids others want also. Take a look at the top schools: Alabama, USC, Oregon, Auburn, Florida St, LSU...their sleepers have multiple offers.