Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utenation

TCU fans

Jackson is ok but he is very erratic literally there are times he throws the ball 20 feet over the head of the receiver on a 5 yard pass. This happened just this last game on several occasions, he has had a ton of trouble droping snaps and handoffs and he has fumbled in every game he has played at TCU. This doesnt mean he is no good but honestly it will come crashing down on him in my opinion and the coaches know that. Dalton has three times as strong and accurate an arm as Jackson does. Dalton obviously does not run with it as well as Jackson. The key here is this. Dalton looked awesome against Baylor. Against Texas Dalton did about what you would expect a redshirt freshman to do in Austin in only his second start without a running back. In the Air Force game Dalton was the only reason we had a lead to blow in the final minutes, yes he threw two interceptions that game but he also was like 33-44 for 300 plus yards, but people remember that as if he was awful because of the outcome. The SMU game he looked bad but every QB has those moments. Before he got hurt against CSU Dalton was 5 of 6 for 60 yards and a 12 yard run, leading the Frogs all the way down the field before he came out. Dont forget that Dalton has only had the luxary of having Aaron Brown next to him for one drive against Baylor and a few sprinkled here and there since. He has a ton of potential and really needs to be given a look with Brown. However, the most important part is that he has the trust and respect of his teamates, I wont go into that here, but most frog fans know what that means.

Jackson is ok but he is very erratic literally there are times he throws the ball 20 feet over the head of the receiver on a 5 yard pass. This happened just this last game on several occasions, he has had a ton of trouble droping snaps and handoffs and he has fumbled in every game he has played at TCU. This doesnt mean he is no good but honestly it will come crashing down on him in my opinion and the coaches know that. Dalton has three times as strong and accurate an arm as Jackson does. Dalton obviously does not run with it as well as Jackson. The key here is this. Dalton looked awesome against Baylor. Against Texas Dalton did about what you would expect a redshirt freshman to do in Austin in only his second start without a running back. In the Air Force game Dalton was the only reason we had a lead to blow in the final minutes, yes he threw two interceptions that game but he also was like 33-44 for 300 plus yards, but people remember that as if he was awful because of the outcome. The SMU game he looked bad but every QB has those moments. Before he got hurt against CSU Dalton was 5 of 6 for 60 yards and a 12 yard run, leading the Frogs all the way down the field before he came out. Dont forget that Dalton has only had the luxary of having Aaron Brown next to him for one drive against Baylor and a few sprinkled here and there since. He has a ton of potential and really needs to be given a look with Brown. However, the most important part is that he has the trust and respect of his teamates, I wont go into that here, but most frog fans know what that means.

Sounds like you're a Dalton fan... Fair points.

Dalton has a QB rating of 116 and Jackson has a rating of 107 as a back-up getting back-up reps in practice(which could be why there are some turnovers in his game).. Jackson had a 143 rating with decent PT last year... To be fair, Dalton is a fresh and will likely grow into the position but the offense seems to grind when he's in there.. JMO..

Of course Brown is a big part of that(to your point).. I still think Jackson has more firepower and could be more explosive if he was the starter..

I think one of the major reasons that myself and many TCU fans (of course not all there are certainly Jackson fans out there also) like Dalton is because he gives us a downfield passing threat we havent had in years. This has pretty much been one of our major beefs the last several years with the offense is that it was so one dimensional, and I think although Dalton has had a bad moment here and there he has shown glimpses of that potential that so many TCU fans are desperate to see. I personally really and truly believe that Dalton played very well in every game except for the SMU game. In my opinion the major reason our offense has looked so bad has been the abscence of Brown. If you really look back at most of those games, the offense moved the ball pretty well, but consistently could not get the ball in the endzone inside the redzone. To me at least this is a direct result of our substandard running game and made the offense look much worse with Dalton behind the center then it would have had Brown been in.

Now having said all of this I do certainly understand what your saying, but at least for me I prefer Dalton behind center.

I like both QB's. Dalton is the more accurate passer with a better arm while Jackson is clearly the better runner. Right now if all we are talking about is winning games Jackson is the better choice to me because of our offense. A running QB is essential for us to control the clock and score points. Eventualy if the offensive game plan adjusts to Dalton's strengths as a drop back passer I would go with Dalton. Jackson by the way does not have a bad arm he just hasn't had many reps in games. Both will continue to develop and as long as it works I hope the coachs play both to their strengths in each game.

GO FROGS

I like both QB's. Dalton is the more accurate passer with a better arm while Jackson is clearly the better runner. Right now if all we are talking about is winning games Jackson is the better choice to me because of our offense. A running QB is essential for us to control the clock and score points. Eventualy if the offensive game plan adjusts to Dalton's strengths as a drop back passer I would go with Dalton. Jackson by the way does not have a bad arm he just hasn't had many reps in games. Both will continue to develop and as long as it works I hope the coachs play both to their strengths in each game.

GO FROGS

I like both, too, and think we can utilize the strenghts of each. I'm not usually a fan of platoon or two headed systems, but in this day and age it is becoming more accepted, largely because it has been shown to be successful. Depending on the situation, what the defense is giving you, who is "hot" you can mix and match and really catch the defense off guard. No longer can they gameplan for a running QB or an immobile QB- they have to be ready for either- even within the same series. And even though part of the playbook is better suited for either, you can still use the entire playbook for both. And with our history of injuries to QB, having both completely "in" the game mentally at all times is a plus as well. Since they are young and basically have been 1A and 1B since the spring, there isn't the ego variable there either.

Obviously depends on injuries, but if both are healthy I expect we'll see both at the beginning of games and depending on how they are playing, and what the defense is giving us we'll go with one or the other in the second half. Down the stretch of the season, we may go back to a primary guy full time.

If we are going to run a lot and throw a little with a good bit of option in that mix, then PLEASE put Jackson in there. he is pretty good off the play-action and seems to throw better when he is rolling out - an observation from CSU game.

If TCU is going for a more balanced series of 50/50 run pass, then let Aaron Brown do the running and Dalton do the passing. As mentioned abouve Dalton has been trying to compete without Brown for the most part. He has done a nice job passing and has made some incredible throws, all while a second string slot reciever is playing tailback. With Brown in the game and close to 100% Dalton becomes much more effective.

"If you can't answer a man's argument all is not lost you can still call him vile names" Elbert Hubbard.

Our offensive problems seem more a matter of constantly making idiotic mistakes in the red zone than who is playing the QB position. Both Jackson and Dalton have moved the team well; I like both of them and want the coaches to go with whoever has the hotter hand at any given moment.

In our offense, which is so basic, we should use the two headed QB monster. Both have strengths and both have weaknesses. Dalton has the strongest arm in the MWC. Just not always the most accurate. I do like Hanie also though.

Actually, Tommy Grady has the strongest arm in the conference.

Just wondering if that was a proven fact that Dalton has the strongest arm or if you were just saying stuff that sounded good?

CVEcMlXUEAAtMZW.png