Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

UNLV best 0-3 team in country

You should join rebel net. You'll fit right in!

Is it still like that over there? Any support Hauck once had here has disappeared.

As to Houston, I was surprised when Levine got the gig. Most of us thought in light of all the REAL Cougars (not Robe's heroes) had accomplished and the impending BE TV dinero that they could find somebody better than that. So far, looks like we were right.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Wish I could disagree with you Mike.

I would be happy to see UNLV establish a strong football program, but the reality is the commitment to financially support the infrastructure to pull it off isn't there right now. As far as what the Rebels will face this weekend there is always the chance the Falcons pull a "cadet game" and put up a lackluster performance in which they have to struggle to earn a win, but if they're focused and play at a level that is improved from MI the game will be over early.

Mike

You lost me this militant stance on moral victories. Of course there are moral victories, who are you? Have you ever built up a program from mud? Moral victories are actually very important at a certain stage of building confidence for a crappy program.

Now I agree, if you're good enough to win and win a lot, moral victories don't cut it. Those are more like putting perfume on a turd. But if I were UNLV, I would look at how close the margin of loss was and realize getting a bit better would've made us 3-0. Of course the amount you loose by matters. Where do you come up with this stuff? Some computers do and the voters absolutely do. The fact that AF lost a close game to OK plus another loss got them quite a few votes last year. Margin of loss matters in lots of ways.

Gary Andersen has had his guys narrowly lose some big big games the last couple years. He sold those as moral victories to his team to raise their confidence and that they can make the next step to actually winning them. And now they're getting there and beating Utah was a great start. Lost a close one to WI, but it does show the kids that with more work they can beat even those B10 teams.

"Best 0-3 team in the country" is like saying my mom is the best Whore in our town. Is something to really be proud of? People need to get off of this "Moral Victory" pedestal. There is no such thing as a Moral Victory. In English...... It's still called "A LOSS". Air Force loss to michigan. Doesn't matter if it was 6 points or 60 points. Utah State lost to Wiskey. Doesn't matter the "What If's".

So; if we want to debate the "NEXT GAME", that's great. That's what we should be discussing. Now, does UNLV have a chance of beating Air Force this weekend? Yes. Everyone has a chance. Is it a likely chance? No, not really. Air Force runs the ball. They are #1 in the country, and this is not a fluke. They are always in the top running teams in the country. What this does for them, and really hurts UNLV, is kills the clock. Many teams can basically play a 2 minute offense numerous times per game and score. UNLV doesn't have that luxury. They have a high scoring of 27 points and need numerous attempts to score those points. Air Force and the clock don't allow you to have that many opportunities. If you want to beat air force, you have to maximize your opportunities when you get them. UNLV will not get a lot.

So while moral victories suck, we can learn from them. What Air Force learned from their loss to Michigan was that they can compete with any team in the country. They already knew this; but the players needed to see this and get their confidence up from all the people telling them they are too new. The defense has shown they can do it. They now believe it. What has UNLV learned? They've learned that they can ALMOST BEAT THE WORST TEAMS in their respective conferences. Minnesota and Washington State are usually at the bottom of their conference. Neither has had a winning season in the last 4 years. So they are ALMOST as good as the worst team in the PAC and Big-10. And they are ALMOST as good as an FCS Big Sky team.

Yes, UNLV has a chance. All teams have a chance. But I wouldn't put money on it.

You lost me this militant stance on moral victories. Of course there are moral victories, who are you? Have you ever built up a program from mud? Moral victories are actually very important at a certain stage of building confidence for a crappy program.

Now I agree, if you're good enough to win and win a lot, moral victories don't cut it. Those are more like putting perfume on a turd. But if I were UNLV, I would look at how close the margin of loss was and realize getting a bit better would've made us 3-0. Of course the amount you loose by matters. Where do you come up with this stuff? Some computers do and the voters absolutely do. The fact that AF lost a close game to OK plus another loss got them quite a few votes last year. Margin of loss matters in lots of ways.

Gary Andersen has had his guys narrowly lose some big big games the last couple years. He sold those as moral victories to his team to raise their confidence and that they can make the next step to actually winning them. And now they're getting there and beating Utah was a great start. Lost a close one to WI, but it does show the kids that with more work they can beat even those B10 teams.

kat.jpg

You lost me this militant stance on moral victories. Of course there are moral victories, who are you? Have you ever built up a program from mud? Moral victories are actually very important at a certain stage of. Holding confidence for a crappy program.

After 12 years of varying degrees of failure, I don't think any reasonable person would fault UNLV fans for disdaining the act of trying to find any amount of success in a loss. Sometimes there is no silver lining and the light at the end of the tunnel is a train. Sometimes teams that find ways to lose really are losers. In fact I think that is the case, more often than not.

I love how all of the fans here, who follow teams that have had successful seasons this millennium, are so quick to condescend UNLV fans whether we are supportive of failure or rail against it. Like your opinion is any more valid because the team you follow has had more success. Not necessarily talking to you here Convert, just those who want to tell us how we should feel about our coach and our program. You aren't more knowledgeable or better than most UNLV fans, and you sure as hell haven't walked in our shoes (except maybe UNM and SDSU fans and even they have the odd bowl game to hang hat on).

Personally, I am totally done with moral victories. Hauck should be past that stage.

After 12 years of varying degrees of failure, I don't think any reasonable person would fault UNLV fans for disdaining the act of trying to find any amount of success in a loss. Sometimes there is no silver lining and the light at the end of the tunnel is a train. Sometimes teams that find ways to lose really are losers. In fact I think that is the case, more often than not.

I love how all of the fans here, who follow teams that have had successful seasons this millennium, are so quick to condescend UNLV fans whether we are supportive of failure or rail against it. Like your opinion is any more valid because the team you follow has had more success. Not necessarily talking to you here Convert, just those who want to tell us how we should feel about our coach and our program. You aren't more knowledgeable or better than most UNLV fans, and you sure as hell haven't walked in our shoes (except maybe UNM and SDSU fans and even they have the odd bowl game to hang hat on).

Personally, I am totally done with moral victories. Hauck should be past that stage.

Don't say this to a NM fan. They have lost more than you and still pack the house. If Hauck is fire after this year it is a joke. Unlv fans don't support this team why fire a coach that is finally starting to show improvment just to please the worst fanbase in America.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

The deal with Hauck is whether the teams quits on him or keeps playing hard.

I expect them to quit in the next few games. Hauck will be long gone.

Ok, I will grant you that. If they quit let him go. Right now these kids have not quit and Hauck is finally getting his recruits in. Unlv if it keeps Hauck will be bowl eligable next year.

We will see. This will be a close win for AF.

Please feel free to support your proclaimed close game prediction. Is it because you think close losses to programs that have been for the most part bottom dwellers in their respective confereces/divisions just doesn't give a fair picture of who the Rebs really are? AF players are going to see this as an easy win? AF really isn't that talented of a team and their level of play as against MI was a fluke? UNLV is loaded with talent that has been hidden away for this game? History says AF has a tendency to not play well at UNLV (you might have something there).

Mike

Is it still like that over there? Any support Hauck once had here has disappeared.

As to Houston, I was surprised when Levine got the gig. Most of us thought in light of all the REAL Cougars (not Robe's heroes) had accomplished and the impending BE TV dinero that they could find somebody better than that. So far, looks like we were right.

Didn't seem too unusual at the time. It's been since the disasterous hire of Dana Dimel (you're welcome, Wyoming....we took that yoke offa your plate) that we've hired an existing HC to replace a departed HC. Immediately prior to Levine, the previous two were - at most - OC types with short tenures running something prior to HC. Now look at em (Briles & Sumlin). This current Levine cat got his shot. He 'felt' right. He said the right things. He recruited well. He represented 'continuity'*.

He's killing our program. He's gotta go. We're busy running amok playing I Want That Guy for fans' HC slotting. We'll be fortunate to scratch together 6 wins this year. I'm guessing 4 (UAB, Tulane, @Marshall, @Southern Methodist). We will lose to North Texas and Rice will retake the annual Bayou Bucket we fight for. We'll be 0-5 prior to our first win. The worst season since 2001...a Dimel year.

*continuity, program constipation...we're finding out the hard way it's a fine line.

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Don't say this to a NM fan. They have lost more than you and still pack the house. If Hauck is fire after this year it is a joke. Unlv fans don't support this team why fire a coach that is finally starting to show improvment just to please the worst fanbase in America.

They haven't lost more than us in the last decade and they are one of the best fan bases in the country. If BYU avg 3 wins a year for 12 yrs with no winning seasons, how would their stadium look? I remember things getting pretty lean in the Crowton yrs..

You think losing to NAU and bottom dwellers in the PAC and Big 10 is showing improvement? Those were the three most winnable games on the sched. Hauck might be able to get them to win one this season. In what world is that improvement?

We are usually good for one fluke win every year... So you might be right.

Having said that, who has WSU beaten? And Minnesota?

Also notice you omitted FCS NAU. You know, the team that lost 63-6 to power house ASU... Hauck's second consecutive home loss to an FCS team... "good job" lol

You should join rebel net. You'll fit right in!

Spot on, Minnesota is the worst 3-0 team, and WaSU is the worst 2-1 team.

They haven't lost more than us in the last decade and they are one of the best fan bases in the country. If BYU avg 3 wins a year for 12 yrs with no winning seasons, how would their stadium look? I remember things getting pretty lean in the Crowton yrs..

You think losing to NAU and bottom dwellers in the PAC and Big 10 is showing improvement? Those were the three most winnable games on the sched. Hauck might be able to get them to win one this season. In what world is that improvement?

NM shows up to games you boozo dont. BYU still avg around 59k in 2 losing seasons

NM shows up to games you boozo dont. BYU still avg around 59k in 2 losing seasons

Which is why I said UNM has one of the best fanbases in the country.

So because UNLV fans don't show up, we should have to live with one of the least successful FBS coaches in the entire country? His winning percentage is 14% and he is a quarter thru his 3rd season. But that should be acceptable because our fans don't support the team? WTF?

And you never answered my question as to how UNLV should be considered improved.

Your talking about moral victories are good when losing to good teams like Utah,Oklahoma, and Wisconsin.

Losing a close game to nau isn't ev en remotely the same...and just because Minnesota and wash st are in big conferences doesn't mean they are good either.

It's one thing to take a moral victory for keeping a game close with a top 10 team...quite another to say same about keeping it close against fcs and bad teams.

Year 3 .... There is no way to spin the nau loss.