Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueCoug

UNM's Big Dance chances just got tougher

San Diego just beat #22 Gonzaga in the WCC Championship game, giving them an automatic trip to the Big Dance. With Gonzaga and St Mary's viewed as virtual locks,that's 3 teams from the WCC and that's one less at-large bid available. With New Mexico viewed as a "last 4 in" bubble team, they need to do very well in the tourney and hope no other crazy upsets happen like this in other conference tourneys.

San Diego just beat #22 Gonzaga in the WCC Championship game, giving them an automatic trip to the Big Dance. With Gonzaga and St Mary's viewed as virtual locks,that's 3 teams from the WCC and that's one less at-large bid available. With New Mexico viewed as a "last 4 in" bubble team, they need to do very well in the tourney and hope no other crazy upsets happen like this in other conference tourneys.

As a Lobo fan, I'm nervous. To be on the safe side, the Lobos need to make it to the championship. If the Lobos only win the first round game, it's going to be 50/50, imo. Lose in the first round, and forget about it.

San Diego (a team UNM beat easily early in the season) with home court advantage in their conference tournament... That just sucks.

You never know. St. Mary's might not be such a lock any more.

That said, I still think both conferences get 3 in.

According to Lunardi....UNM is relatively safe! :D

Here is his pecking order for at-large worthy teams:

"Bubble" (25 teams for 12 spots)

NEW LOBO ORDER

spannaballernp1.gif

WE ARE NEW MEXICO

I really hope UNM gets in. They could upset a team at the Big Dance and our conference needs 3 in. Hopefully it doesn't require UNM beating BYU in the conference championship. That would get them in but would ruin BYU's seed obviously. We need the best seed we can get!

I really hope UNM gets in. They could upset a team at the Big Dance and our conference needs 3 in. Hopefully it doesn't require UNM beating BYU in the conference championship. That would get them in but would ruin BYU's seed obviously. We need the best seed we can get!

Hopefully it doesn't require UNM beating BYU in the conference championship.

Wow that #1 seed gets you right to the championship game? Shouldn't you be concerned about getting that far first?

You must have the refs on a pre-paid account.

2me1q87.jpg

And with South Alabama getting popped off that might make it even tougher. OK BYU is in....UNLV's high RPI might save them. But I like to look at strength of schedule and big wins. The Lobos SOS is real low and what big wins do they have.?.. a home win over a mediocre Texas Tech team....another over UNLV. How many games have they played against top 25..top 50 teams?? True they are on a nice run over the past 10 games or so but again beating up on Wyoming, CSU, TCU, Air Force, even Utah may not impress selectors.

Alford said the teams in this league are very, very good....What a bunch of b.s. Of course this time of year all these coaches have to do some politicing. So much points to that semifinal game of UNLV vs. UNM.. A UNM win puts them in the finals and makes it 2 out of 3 against the Rebs. But wait, UNM has first rounder against Utah. Overtime win over Utes at home and another close win against them on the road...Utes have everything to lay for.....This is what makes it all fun and interesting....Would like to see how Lobos would do in NCAA since they're playing well now.

Glad I got tickets....Mtn West semis at the Mack is always a great nite....Can't wait

Wouldn't it be better for the New Mexico program for them to be a top seed in the NIT and ride their home court advantage to New York. I think it would be better for the Mountain West if we had a team make a deep run in the NIT. BYU will have a chance to make the sweet 16 in the NCAA's. I don't think they will be lower than an 8 seed which means they are favored in the first game and need to pull an upset in the second. I don't see it happen, but their path will be no harder than UNLV's last year. New Mexico, on the other hand, has zero chance to make the Sweet 16 in the NCAAs. But they do have a real chance to end the season in New York with the NIT Championship. If they could get used to winning in March, they might be able to make a big run with all of their recruits next year. If they go to the NCAA tournament and lose in the first round, it is just business as usual for the Lobos.

In my book, it's NEVER better to go to the NIT instead of the NCAA's. A realistic opportunity for UNM to advance in the NCAA's is the 11-6 or 12-5 matchup because if you win that game you play either a 3 or 4 seed, which are reasonably beatable teams. Also, the first round of the Women's NCAA Tournament is in the Pit this year, so scheduling conflicts will likely arise for NIT home games, not to mention the Lady Lobos, barring a MWC run, are probably in line for an NIT bid too.

Wouldn't it be better for the New Mexico program for them to be a top seed in the NIT and ride their home court advantage to New York. I think it would be better for the Mountain West if we had a team make a deep run in the NIT. BYU will have a chance to make the sweet 16 in the NCAA's. I don't think they will be lower than an 8 seed which means they are favored in the first game and need to pull an upset in the second. I don't see it happen, but their path will be no harder than UNLV's last year. New Mexico, on the other hand, has zero chance to make the Sweet 16 in the NCAAs. But they do have a real chance to end the season in New York with the NIT Championship. If they could get used to winning in March, they might be able to make a big run with all of their recruits next year. If they go to the NCAA tournament and lose in the first round, it is just business as usual for the Lobos.

In my opinion, at the start it is never better to be in the NIT than in the NCAA. However, if you win the NIT (or at least make it to New York) it builds a lot more momentum for next year than if you get beat in the first round of the NCAA. They would have a chance to get 5 postseason games under their belt. If Alford and the Lobos season is not a mirage, this could be valuable experience for the coming seasons. I've seen the way his Iowa teams played in the NCAA Tournaments, he needs to get some big game experience under his belt for the good of the program.

No WAY is a run in the NIT better. Plus, the MWC benefits financially by gaining NCAA credits in the tournament.

That's a typical TCU fan for you!! We are not used to long term success in basketball, so we would rather have more practice time than the prestige that comes with making the tourney!!

NCAA over NIT any day of the week, and twice on Sundays, unless you are BYU!! :-)

If you Lobo fans had any smarts you would make certain that in every hotel room the selection committee members are staying in Saturday night there is a DVD copy of "Dancing with Wolves" propped up next to the TV. :rolleyes:

Us Rebel Fans have already destroyed all the copies of "Rebel without a Cause" in the States of Kansas and Missouri. :D

2me1q87.jpg

No disrespect intended for Rebel fans, but other than one win against bYu, what sets UNLV apart from New Mexico? UNLV, 23-7, UNM 24-7. Both own wins over UTEP. UNLV lost to Louisville and UofA. UNM lost to Mississippi State. UNLV finished one game better than UNM in conference play. Should Utah win the tournament, would UNLV actually be in the big dance?

No disrespect intended for Rebel fans, but other than one win against bYu, what sets UNLV apart from New Mexico? UNLV, 23-7, UNM 24-7. Both own wins over UTEP. UNLV lost to Louisville and UofA. UNM lost to Mississippi State. UNLV finished one game better than UNM in conference play. Should Utah win the tournament, would UNLV actually be in the big dance?

Well offhand I can think of three things

1) UNLV played in the sweet sixteen last year

2) UNLV beat BYU

3) There is this little thing called RPI and another one called SOS

UNLV is RPI 27 SOS 71

UNM is RPI 52 SOS 151

Those numbers mean something otherwise they wouldn't keep them.

2me1q87.jpg

This is one of the times it doesn't pay to have the tournament on your home court. The Rebels are expected to win and anything short of three victories might keep them out of the dance. UNM might get in with a win or two.

For RPI purposes this is considered a home stand for UNLV while all the other teams get road/ neutral games. UNLV might win all it's games and lose RPI and SOS (depending on opponents) while any win for UNM would most likely boost RPI and SOS while a loss would not be much of a negative..

2me1q87.jpg

Certainly, the schedule "we" played left a lot to be desired, a remnant of the former failed coach trying his best to pad the won/loss numbers. Had UNM managed a victory at Mississippi, that may have changed a great deal, but alas, it didn't happen. The tournament should be great fun, and I'm looking forward to the rematches, except for Utah. I'd rather be playing SDSU or Air Force than Utah again.