Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reb Baron

MWC Basketball Games

Who Wins?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. SDSU @ AFA

• Aztecs
    • Falcons
  2. 2. Utah @ UNLV

• Runnin' Utes
    • Runnin' Rebels
  3. 3. BYU @ TCU

• Cougars
    • Horned Frogs

Hey Swoll.....don't be talking about class or sportsmanship......by the looks of what you posted at RamNation.com......you need some serious help.

http://www.ramnation.com/message_board/ath...ch/8/967640.php

Swoll pretty much makes the suggestion of "undercutting" Giddens if he were the coach of CSU. :angry:

Wow, that's real classy Swollcracker. What you suggest is much, much worse than JR's "celebration". So, according to your statement, it's OK to possibly harm someone's health and possibly career in retaliation for celebrating a dunk and scoring title. OK. That makes sense.

If I were you, I would be more pissed about the performance of your team than 2 points scored (and celebrated) by your opponent.

Lobo fans, you're killing me. I've read Swoll Cracker post on both this board and the CSU board for awhile, and there is no poster with more knowledge on hoops or football. If he saw JR acting like a clown then I tend to agree with him. Call it Internet cred or whatever, Swoll is not trying to start a flame war. He calls it like he saw it.

Furthermore, the swagger you post with is unnecessary. Like the entire MWC didn't watch JR Giddens act like a complete fool all of last season. It's not that big of stretch to think that JR would be running his mouth. The guys a head case. Always has been and always will be.

Give me a break. You're not the only one that reads message boards. If you put so much trust in what a guy says that condones hurting another teams player then more power to you I guess. He was insulting towards one of our players. Nobody came on the board and said anything negative about CSU players until after he started in. I wouldn't have said anything if I hadn't felt the need to defend JR. Swagger??? What swagger? Of course he was terrible LAST SEASON. No Lobo fan would ever disagree with you on that. But, THIS SEASON he has been an entirely different player. He has not done anything at any time to show that he is a head case THIS YEAR. Nothing...zero, zip, nada. I have not missed a sinlge game all year (either live or on TV) and his change in attitude has been like night to day. That is why I am defending him. If he had lapses during the season I wouldn't be, but he has been the model player, person and team mate. Hopefully he will keep it up.

nmstorm-siglitt-1.png

Not bull my friend.

That's how it was.

As for CSU students, you are correct. They are terrible supporters .

For the record, I'm a student and I agree with you. I wish that we had a student section PERIOD. Our student section is terribly fairweather. We lost a bunch of games and no one goes. I attended every single game, I tried to be as nice as possible, yelled occasionally at the guy with the white-board but it was all in good fun. I wasn't yelling anything mean, just that those of us over there couldn't read what they were writing. They needed larger letters or something of the sort.

Our students are terrible and it bugs the hell out of me. One time I almost transferred to go to a school with a real fan base. Now, I wasn't six-rows behind the bench, but it really felt like they occasionally pushed it. Nothing terrible but yeah.

And to the person two people above me. I am pissed about my teams performance all this season. I can't tell you how many times I went home in a terrible, pissed off mood because we would be up by 10 or more (IE Wyoming) and blow it in the second half. We lost all of our energy in the second half every single game. Today it was with a couple minutes left in the first half. Our team was terrible this year yeah, and I was pissed off, maybe that's why I'm taking running up the score to heart. I had a bad enough season with 17 straight losses without having to watch our team be ridiculed on the court.

Amen brother! BTW: Giddens also had 13 points and 1 rebound. Yep....that's running up the score according to Sheep fans.

The funny part is LOBO fans were WAY louder and more visible apparently on THE MTN...despite it being the CSU's home court. I think Snake, Wes(from The Red Menace), Lobo13(dude with the whiteboard), and various others made the road trip.

Check this link out to hear the much deserved CHANT...."MVP.....MVP....MVP>>>"

QUESTION for CSU fans or Lobo fans who went/watch the game:

Since I was unable to watch the game on THE MTN....can you fill-us in on how supportive LOBO fans were. How crazy did we get? How was the reaction to the whiteboard?

OMG!

I just saw the replay of that dunk that resulted in his "mugging". WTF are these CSU fans crying about? It was nothing...why are you guys making a big deal out of this? JR dunked the ball looked toward the bench yelled for barely a second and ran down the court. I can't believe these CSU fans are making a big deal out of this, they are just being bitter about their pathetic season they just went through and are using GIddens "past" against him for his awesome dunk!

CSU fans get over it, it was nothig!

roflbot.jpg

BYU 61, TCU 54

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Jonathan Tavernari scored 17 points as BYU overcame a poor shooting performance to beat TCU 61-54 Saturday night.

BYU (25-6, 14-2) set a school record for most regular-season wins in a season and became the first Mountain West team to win 14 games in conference play.

The Cougars shot 35 percent from the floor and lost a 10-point halftime lead. But the Horned Frogs hit just one field goal in the final 9:18 -- a 3-pointer from Jason Ebie with 1.6 seconds left.

Lee Cummard had 16 points and eight rebounds and Sam Burgess scored 13 to give BYU its 13th win in 14 games.

TCU (14-15, 6-10) has lost five of seven games. For the sixth time in seven seasons, the Horned Frogs finished with a losing record in conference play.

Ryan Wall scored 15 points and Brent Hackett chipped in with 11 for the Horned Frogs

The Cougars open the Mountain West Tournament as the No. 1 seed and will play either Wyoming or Colorado State in their first game Thursday. TCU is the No. 7 seed and will play UNLV.

Keion Mitchem connected on a 3-pointer that put TCU on top 46-44 with 9:18 remaining. But the Cougars went on an 11-1 run over the next six minutes to take control.

The Cougars hit 6-of-8 free throws in the surge, and Cummard's 3-pointer put BYU ahead 55-47 with 3:36 left.

BYU led 32-22 at halftime, but the Horned Frogs scored the first nine points of the second half to get within one. Hackett scored seven points in the run.

Mitchem's 3-pointer gave TCU its last lead of the game. The Horned Frogs then missed their next 11 shots.

TCU scored only 36 points and shot 24 percent in a loss to Air Force on Wednesday.

The Horned Frogs took a 9-5 lead in the game's first five minutes. The Cougars went on a 10-0 run over the next four minutes to take the lead.

Tavernari's 3-pointer with 1:23 left in the first half put BYU up by 10 heading into the locker room.

2me1q87.jpg

You're right. I should not have said he wasn't very good. He is pretty good. I still strongly feel that he would be behind all five of the guards on our team though.

Behind all five guards on UNM's team???? Dang some of you guys get a bit carried away with your thoughts about your team. Be funny if Walker gets 2nd or 3rd team All Mtn.....that would mean some of those UNM guards got cheated out of All Conference..

Behind all five guards on UNM's team???? Dang some of you guys get a bit carried away with your thoughts about your team. Be funny if Walker gets 2nd or 3rd team All Mtn.....that would mean some of those UNM guards got cheated out of All Conference..

No...that isn't what it would mean. It would mean that he got all conference because he was the second leading scorer and that is it. You tell me...which guard on the UNM roster would you put him ahead of on the Lobo team?

Giddens

Gary

Smith

Prentice

Wills

I'm sorry but there just isn't one I would honestly replace Walker with.

nmstorm-siglitt-1.png

For the record, I'm a student and I agree with you. I wish that we had a student section PERIOD. Our student section is terribly fairweather. We lost a bunch of games and no one goes. I attended every single game, I tried to be as nice as possible, yelled occasionally at the guy with the white-board but it was all in good fun. I wasn't yelling anything mean, just that those of us over there couldn't read what they were writing. They needed larger letters or something of the sort.

Our students are terrible and it bugs the hell out of me. One time I almost transferred to go to a school with a real fan base. Now, I wasn't six-rows behind the bench, but it really felt like they occasionally pushed it. Nothing terrible but yeah.

And to the person two people above me. I am pissed about my teams performance all this season. I can't tell you how many times I went home in a terrible, pissed off mood because we would be up by 10 or more (IE Wyoming) and blow it in the second half. We lost all of our energy in the second half every single game. Today it was with a couple minutes left in the first half. Our team was terrible this year yeah, and I was pissed off, maybe that's why I'm taking running up the score to heart. I had a bad enough season with 17 straight losses without having to watch our team be ridiculed on the court.

I'm sorry that your student section and fan support sucks. I don't know what it is with basketball and the Colorado teams but fan support sucks for all the schools. I went to the CU game and it was only marginally better than CSU and this was at the very beginning of the season. I'm guessing it was equal to or worse than CSU fan wise at the end. I know a part of it is the team losing and hopefully Miles will turn that around. He is a very good coach. He needs to be able to recruit at the level that the higher profile MWC programs are recruiting at right now though. The jury is still out on his recruiting but if he can do it CSU will be much better and won't suffer another season like this one.

So now that we've all vented I want to ask you a question. Do you honestly think that what JR did was bad enough to "lose all respect" for him now that you've had some time to think about it? I'm still puzzled why anybody would say that and yes it upset me considering how far he has come. I watched the game again last night on the DVR (partially to see myself in the crowd) and I paid close attention to JR throughout...there is nothing to complain about what he did IMO...especially nothing to warrant trying to undercut him.

nmstorm-siglitt-1.png

No...that isn't what it would mean. It would mean that he got all conference because he was the second leading scorer and that is it. You tell me...which guard on the UNM roster would you put him ahead of on the Lobo team?

Giddens

Gary

Smith

Prentice

Wills

If you feel that strongly about your guards that is fine. But to say he gets all conference recognition....if...that is... because he's the 2nd leading scorer or whatever??? I would think the voters., coaches and journalists who watch many games, would vote him to a positon because they feel he's better than or done more than others in the conference...But who knows, ...maybe Walker will get left out of it all.....But he must be worth something to be 2nd leading scorer.

I'm sorry that your student section and fan support sucks. I don't know what it is with basketball and the Colorado teams but fan support sucks for all the schools. I went to the CU game and it was only marginally better than CSU and this was at the very beginning of the season. I'm guessing it was equal to or worse than CSU fan wise at the end. I know a part of it is the team losing and hopefully Miles will turn that around. He is a very good coach. He needs to be able to recruit at the level that the higher profile MWC programs are recruiting at right now though. The jury is still out on his recruiting but if he can do it CSU will be much better and won't suffer another season like this one.

So now that we've all vented I want to ask you a question. Do you honestly think that what JR did was bad enough to "lose all respect" for him now that you've had some time to think about it? I'm still puzzled why anybody would say that and yes it upset me considering how far he has come. I watched the game again last night on the DVR (partially to see myself in the crowd) and I paid close attention to JR throughout...there is nothing to complain about what he did IMO...especially nothing to warrant trying to undercut him.

Of course he didn't do anything to warrant trying to undercut him. I truthfully wouldn't ever want to see that happen to anyone. I haven't watched the replays, and I've probably had to time to cool off. It wasn't as bad as I originally thought, but I still don't like people cheering about dunking on 3 walk-ons (one of whom is somewhere around 5' 6" :P) But hey, like I said, it wasn't as bad as I originally thought. I do think I have faith in Miles. He was left with nothing this year, so I can't blame him for our terrible season. We just couldn't play down the stretch and had no confidence whatsoever. Hopefully we'll at least get better! :D

Giddens

Gary

Smith

Prentice

Wills

So Walker is 2nd team all conference and Newcomer of the Year. Darn, good thing he went to CSU....if he went to UNM he'd be the #6 guard.

So Walker is 2nd team all conference and Newcomer of the Year. Darn, good thing he went to CSU....if he went to UNM he'd be the #6 guard.

You are right. He is very lucky he went to CSU. If he went to any other school in the conference he wouldn't have evern started. Well, he might have started along side "defensive player of the year" Tim Anderson at AFA but no way would he have started on any other team. Wait...he is a JUCO so he couldn't even go to AFA. I guess that just leaves the Rams. Good job Walker!

nmstorm-siglitt-1.png

You are right. He is very lucky he went to CSU. If he went to any other school in the conference he wouldn't have evern started. Well, he might have started along side "defensive player of the year" Tim Anderson at AFA but no way would he have started on any other team. Wait...he is a JUCO so he couldn't even go to AFA. I guess that just leaves the Rams. Good job Walker!

[/quote

I don't think I would go so far as to say "no way would he have started on any other team". If a Mountain iWest head coach had said that I'd have believed it. You'd think a 2nd team all conference performer and conference newcomer of the year might've found a spot somewhere.

[/quote

I don't think I would go so far as to say "no way would he have started on any other team". If a Mountain iWest head coach had said that I'd have believed it. You'd think a 2nd team all conference performer and conference newcomer of the year might've found a spot somewhere.

I don't think you are listening to what I am trying to say. He earned the position he got because he was the only 1/2 way decent player on a team filled with walk-ons. I have seen him play in person twice and on TV more than 15 times and I am telling you without any bias that he would find it very difficult to start on any other team in the league. You tell me your honest opinion, which team would he start for, who would he replace and why? I looked at the rosters for each team in the conference and I don't see one. This is a knock on him but only to a certain degree. I understand that he worked and played hard all year and deserves credit for that. He could be the best kid in the world, I don't know and I don't really care. He isn't the first player to earn an award based on numbers only. He played for the weakest team in the history of our conference and the weakest by a landslide.

To CSU fans: I am being derogatory about this tea but not your program. I feel that with Coach Miles you do have the potential to improve and compete. I strongly believe though in what I wrote about Walker and this years Rams. I apologize if it offends you.

nmstorm-siglitt-1.png

[/quote

I don't think you are listening to what I am trying to say. He earned the position he got because he was the only 1/2 way decent player on a team filled with walk-ons. I have seen him play in person twice and on TV more than 15 times and I am telling you without any bias that he would find it very difficult to start on any other team in the league. You tell me your honest opinion, which team would he start for, who would he replace and why? I looked at the rosters for each team in the conference and I don't see one. This is a knock on him but only to a certain degree. I understand that he worked and played hard all year and deserves credit for that. He could be the best kid in the world, I don't know and I don't really care. He isn't the first player to earn an award based on numbers only. He played for the weakest team in the history of our conference and the weakest by a landslide.

To CSU fans: I am being derogatory about this tea but not your program. I feel that with Coach Miles you do have the potential to improve and compete. I strongly believe though in what I wrote about Walker and this years Rams. I apologize if it offends you.

I honestly think he would probably start for TCU. I think he might be more effective than Hackett at the 2 spot. I know Hackett has a size advantage, but Walker is a much more dynamic scorer and he would get quality looks playing with Langford. Hackett launches 6 triples a game and only hits at 27%. That's not good.

I honestly think he would probably start for TCU. I think he might be more effective than Hackett at the 2 spot. I know Hackett has a size advantage, but Walker is a much more dynamic scorer and he would get quality looks playing with Langford. Hackett launches 6 triples a game and only hits at 27%. That's not good.

I also thought he might start for TCU.....Air Force perhaps......and except for Bryant coming off the bench Utah didn't have much firepower at the guard spot.... Who knows where else he might've fit in.. The kid averaged over 30 pts a game and led his team to a Missouri high school championship, averaged 5-6 pts a game as a Nebraska frosh,, was all region on a 33-3 JUnior college team......so he's got a decent background and perhaps another Mtn. coach would've worked with his skills. Oh by the way I saw him play at least 33-34 times.

I also thought he might start for TCU.....Air Force perhaps......and except for Bryant coming off the bench Utah didn't have much firepower at the guard spot.... Who knows where else he might've fit in.. The kid averaged over 30 pts a game and led his team to a Missouri high school championship, averaged 5-6 pts a game as a Nebraska frosh,, was all region on a 33-3 JUnior college team......so he's got a decent background and perhaps another Mtn. coach would've worked with his skills. Oh by the way I saw him play at least 33-34 times.

Well you proved my point. He MIGHT start on three of the other 8 teams and all three aren't even close to difinitive. I'm not going to say anything more about it. I'm starting to sound like I have a bone to pick with him or CSU fans and I don't. He is a good player and I'll leave it at that.

nmstorm-siglitt-1.png

Well you proved my point. He MIGHT start on three of the other 8 teams and all three aren't even close to difinitive. I'm not going to say anything more about it. I'm starting to sound like I have a bone to pick with him or CSU fans and I don't. He is a good player and I'll leave it at that.

OK he would start for TCU and Air Force....maybe even Utah....in fact I can see other schools where he'd have a shot....Good spatting with you Storm....I just felt you were rather hard on Walker.....saying he wasn't very good. Notice today , despite 5 turnovers he had 22 points , 5 assists and 2 key last minute free throws.....See where Rebelbacker went to the game and said he's the real deal.......I"m off to Vegas....