Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFanatic

As a whole, i don't think Mtn Div that much better than West Div

1.  Especially with Chucky/Garretson out at USU

2.  KQ back as SUDS qb....not saying much, but, with their D, SUDS is very good with even KQ's qb faults.

3.  Current H2H has West leading Mountain, 4-3.

4.  Yes, Mtn Div top is better than West Div's, but it's hard telling West Div's top since there is unbelievable parity between all 6 West Div'rs in my book.

5.  Yes, I think Mtn > West at this point but not by as much as perceived.....remaining H2H games....

UNLV @ USU.....is UNLV improved enough to win in Logan with an Aggies team that has 3rd string sr at the qb helm?

Wyo @ Fresno....seems like an even match, as far as I can tell....HFA and only losing by 10pts on The Blue has me thinking Dogs take advantage of upcoming bye week and are more than ready for the Cowboys.

UNM @ UNLV....UNM is the worst team in the MW.  They are improved from last season, but UNLV looked good vs Fresno....was that Fresno or UNLV?....I think both.

CSU @ SJSU....interesting matchup....Spartans lost to UNR early in SJ, but, even tho it was early and SJSU might be improved since then, I think CSU is on a mission and would love to have had that @BSU game later in the year.

USU @ Hawaii...on The Islands and Hawaii is tough despite their record....USU qb situation???

Hawaii @ CSU...CSU, period.

AFA @ UNLV....could be close one?  could be blow out either way depending on which defense can or cannot handle opposition's offense?

SDSU @ BSU...might be the most interesting MW game left over...at least most interesting interdivision????.....we...shall...see.

UNR @ AFA.....can Pack handle the tripopt?

AFA @ SUDS

SJSU @ USU....depends on Aggies qb situation, IMO.  Two good D's duking it out should be very interesting.

~ FF

All good points. I think SDSU with a healthy Ruffin and QK is the best team in the league. The problem is a down FSU will always hurt the conference. We need a good Fresno every year. FSU actually has name recognition on a national level, thanks to Pat Hil.

Side note:  "As a whole", I think, at this point - a few winnable OOC's left over and the bowl season to boot - that the MW is better than last year's MW....and just as good as last year's AAC which had L'ville, Rutgers and didn't have Tulane, Tulsa, etc.

This isn't saying much, but it does have me hoping this is a "start of a trend" for MW, and not an "up year".....we....shall...see.

~ FF

USU took a big hit against Colorado St but right now i think CSU is the best team in the MWC but they aren't that far ahead. Overall this is a pretty average conference right now with anyone being able to beat anyone with any game. There is no favorite and haven't been impressed with any team.

Yeah.  I agree, 2001.  Aggies D is legit as all heck so it's all on Rebels to prove their improvement in their last game was a sign of things to come, rather than just "beating a Fresno team with many holes"....we...shall...see.

I re-watched the Dogs @ Rebs game a couple times, and the more I watch it, the more I see Rebels improvement more of a factor than Dogs' downagement.

~ FF

We lost 3 starting defenders, including our best tackler against SJSU, and 1 before (for the season) against Hawaii who was our safety net in the secondary. We'll be lucky to slow down any offenses here on out.

I think we average 3 out of the defensive backfield each week anymore.  We're down a couple 2 deep Dline  and our best LB sat on Friday too.  This is a crappy year for injuries for many teams.

SOG, at least you now have a coach that can coach up new defenders replacing starters.

Does any Pokes' fans even remember your last coach's name?

Sadly, yes. As at times, they still reflect his coaching, or lack thereof, I should say. And right now, most of our backups are a big drop off from the starters.

I think we average 3 out of the defensive backfield each week anymore.  We're down a couple 2 deep Dline  and our best LB sat on Friday too.  This is a crappy year for injuries for many teams.

Your defense at least looks to be strong. Ours is a bend but don't break defense. With some very painful bends that sometimes break. And that's with our starters.

I'm not sure how anyone comes to the conclusion that the West Division isn't far off the Mountain

WEST CONF OVERALL
San Diego State 3-1 4-3
San Jose State 2-1 3-3
Fresno State 2-2 3-5
Hawaii 1-1 2-5
UNLV 1-2 2-5
Nevada 1-2 4-3
MOUNTAIN CONF OVERALL
Boise State 3-1 5-2
* - Colorado State 2-1 6-1
Air Force 2-2 5-2
Utah State 1-1 4-3
Wyoming 1-2 3-4
New Mexico 0-3 2-5

I'm not sure how anyone comes to the conclusion that the West Division isn't far off the Mountain

WEST CONF OVERALL San Diego State 3-1 4-3 San Jose State 2-1 3-3 Fresno State 2-2 3-5 Hawaii 1-1 2-5 UNLV 1-2 2-5 Nevada 1-2 4-3 MOUNTAIN CONF OVERALL Boise State 3-1 5-2 * - Colorado State 2-1 6-1 Air Force 2-2 5-2 Utah State 1-1 4-3 Wyoming 1-2 3-4 New Mexico 0-3 2-5

Mtn has losing record in conference. 

^^^ That ^^^ and here are the average SOS rankings (Sagarin) for each 6-team division as a whole....

West 72.333

Mtn   84.500

12 full ranking places on average.  Our OOC must be stronger opponents on average.  Quite a difference and we shall see more as it develops with 11 more interdivision games left.

So.....as I OP'd.....not as much difference between the two divisions as perceived.  Just that the Mtn Div is more top heavy like the WAC was back in the day and the West Div is more like the MWC back in the day.

Remember all the sports networks referring to the WAC as, "the top-heavy WAC"?

~ FF

WEST CONF OVERALL San Diego State 3-1 4-3 San Jose State 2-1 3-3 Fresno State 2-2 3-5 Hawaii 1-1 2-5 UNLV 1-2 2-5 Nevada 1-2 4-3 MOUNTAIN CONF OVERALL Boise State 3-1 5-2 * - Colorado State 2-1 6-1 Air Force 2-2 5-2 Utah State 1-1 4-3 Wyoming 1-2 3-4 New Mexico 0-3 2-5

Well I would look at your graph and see that the best record in the west is a 3 loss team and their are 3 teams with better records in the mountain.

I remember all the crap talking about the Mountain teams over the last few years.....wondering why Boise would go to that side...talking about how the front range brings nothing...

Perhaps it's a mountain time zone thing........?!?!

Based on our experience...BSU is very good.  USU is very good.  I can't wait to see them both play.

I think CSU may have had a better chance against BSU if we had played them a bit later in the season.  

I think the best 3 teams are in the mountain division.  AFA seems to be the most suspect to me but we will see! 

Posted Image