Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheTedfordTrain

Worst SJSU coach of all time.

SJSU coaches.   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who ends up being worse?

• Fitz Hill
    • Ron Carragher

I'm going with Fitz for now, but RC is showing his potential.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Where is the, "Everyone but Coach Mac" option, since for as long as I remember, SJSU has practically been a 2-3 win team throughout their storied history.

Jack Elway was pretty darn good back in the day.

Where is the, "Everyone but Coach Mac" option, since for as long as I remember, SJSU has practically been a 2-3 win team throughout their storied history.

They were decent when most of us were toddlers/not born yet.

Both coaches inherited winning teams. Instead of building on the momentum they destroyed it. I voted for Ron Caragher because he inherited the better team. Fitz hill inherited a 7-5 team and had seasons of 3-9, 6-7, 3-8, 2-9. Caragher inherited the better team (11-2) and has had a 6-6 season and will likely finish 3-9 this season. If Caragher gets fired this season I would change my vote. SJSU should Fire Caragher immediately if it has learned anything from the Fitz Hill era.

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Jack Elway was pretty darn good back in the day.

And IIRC, Claude Gilbert, Dave Baldwin and ++++ (or should that be Penis on this board?) Tomey also had a very good season or two.

Caragher? SJSU's win total shouldn't have been expected to be 11 again last year but neither should just 6 wins have been expected with a stud like Fales again behind center. I thought the Spartans would win about 8. Since there were some injuries I thought maybe he'd show himself to be able to go .500 this year even without Fales since a couple defensive studs returned as well as that excellent smallish WR whose name I can't remember. However, 3-8 going into a probable loss at SDSU is terrible.

As to next Saturday's game, I definitely don't see SJSU beating SDSU. From what I saw while switching back and forth from the SDSU-AFA game, not that anyone could blame the kid but that third stringer SJSU was forced to use at QB is a not ready for prime time player if there ever was one. And since Rocky Long admitted he blew the regular season finale last year by telling his team after the Boise win the week before that they had guaranteed themselves a bowl berth and then SDSU almost didn't get one after losing at UNLV, there is no chance going in just 6-5 that the Aztecs won't be highly motivated to beat the Spartans. So if Caragher can somehow pull off a win next week, I'll think much better of him but assuming he doesn't, a 3-9 record just two years after an 11-win season by MacIntyre would sure suggest Blaymaier needs to put him on notice that he's on the hot seat.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Meh.  Not going to vote.   They wouldnt have gotten to where they are without some ability.  However, both are faced with an impossible task.

Not trying to be argumentative, but just where is SJSU right now?

I will agree there's something to your final comment. SJSU is located in one of the three most football recruit laden states in the country, its location has great weather and it's a better school academically than several others in this conference. Hell, I'm not a Mr. Blackwell about such things like a couple guys on AztecMesa but I couldn't help noticing last night what great colors the uniforms are. But for reasons I can only speculate about, it just seems like nobody cares.

More informed Spartans can correct me but I think the reasons are these. A relatively large amount of students from the Far East who have zero interest in football. Too much competition from nearby Stanford and Cal plus the Niners and Raiders. And probably also the same kind of lousy marketing by their athletics department that has stymied SDSU for many years. (The students themselves created The Show for basketball, the administration had nothing to do with that.)

Maybe few others care but I'm a bit concerned that if things continue for another few years the way they have been going that SJSU's administration could just decide that funding an FBS football team is just too expensive and then let the students decide whether they would rather see the money devoted to something else. If that happened, there's reason to think football would lose since a good case could be made that significant additional money could be saved by returning to the Big West Conference. And then Hairball would make UNM happy by replacing SJSU with Texas El Armpit.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I will agree there's something to your final comment. SJSU is located in one of the three most football recruit laden states in the country, its location has great weather and it's a better school academically than several others in this conference. Hell, I'm not a Mr. Blackwell about such things like a couple guys on AztecMesa but I couldn't help noticing last night what great colors the uniforms are. But for reasons I can only speculate about, it just seems like nobody cares.

More informed Spartans can correct me but I think the reasons are these. A relatively large amount of students from the Far East who have zero interest in football. Too much competition from nearby Stanford and Cal plus the Niners and Raiders. And probably also the same kind of lousy marketing by their athletics department that has stymied SDSU for many years. (The students themselves created The Show for basketball, the administration had nothing to do with that.)

Maybe few others care but I'm a bit concerned that if things continue for another few years the way they have been going that SJSU's administration could just decide that funding an FBS football team is just too expensive and then let the students decide whether they would rather see the money devoted to something else. If that happened, there's reason to think football would lose since a good case could be made that significant additional money could be saved by returning to the Big West Conference. And then Hairball would make UNM happy by replacing SJSU with Texas El Armpit.

atomic-bomb-o.gif

Thread hijack complete.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

Your points are well taken but there are assumptions both ways.  Right now, SJSU gets little or no money from the MWC as it has not been a member long enough to qualify and it had to pay the $2 million dollar entrance fee to join.  In about three years that will change and our budget dollars will increase.  IF (and its an unknown "if") we retain our current President and AD, I believe that there will be improvement.  Both are committed.  As of this Fall, we will field 20 sports.  That is more than most MWC schools and 4 more than we had three years ago.  That is a sign of commitment.  Yes, the fan base is impatient and for good reason.  There are trends, particularly, in football, that are moving in the wrong direction.  However, ultimately, Caragher is smart.  He should be able to learn and grow.  He is a heckuva recruiter.  In men's basketball, at this point, the fan base believes in coach Wojcik.  He has and is bringing in some serious talent.

Your points are well taken but there are assumptions both ways. Right now, SJSU gets little or no money from the MWC as it has not been a member long enough to qualify and it had to pay the $2 million dollar entrance fee to join. In about three years that will change and our budget dollars will increase. IF (and its an unknown "if") we retain our current President and AD, I believe that there will be improvement. Both are committed. As of this Fall, we will field 20 sports. That is more than most MWC schools and 4 more than we had three years ago. That is a sign of commitment. Yes, the fan base is impatient and for good reason. There are trends, particularly, in football, that are moving in the wrong direction. However, ultimately, Caragher is smart. He should be able to learn and grow. He is a heckuva recruiter. In men's basketball, at this point, the fan base believes in coach Wojcik. He has and is bringing in some serious talent.

Is this all paper talent or is it translating to the field/court?

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Hijacked? Congrats on the self-promotion to captain of the post police.

There must be a mile of airspace between my point and the top of your head. Wasnt about you bro.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

Your points are well taken but there are assumptions both ways.  Right now, SJSU gets little or no money from the MWC as it has not been a member long enough to qualify and it had to pay the $2 million dollar entrance fee to join.  In about three years that will change and our budget dollars will increase.  IF (and its an unknown "if") we retain our current President and AD, I believe that there will be improvement.  Both are committed.  As of this Fall, we will field 20 sports.  That is more than most MWC schools and 4 more than we had three years ago.  That is a sign of commitment.  Yes, the fan base is impatient and for good reason.  There are trends, particularly, in football, that are moving in the wrong direction.  However, ultimately, Caragher is smart.  He should be able to learn and grow.  He is a heckuva recruiter.  In men's basketball, at this point, the fan base believes in coach Wojcik.  He has and is bringing in some serious talent.

Sorry Rick, no offense but we've been hearing this stuff for as long as I've been an student and alum. Under Bowen and now under Gene Blaymaier. At what time does this ever come into fruition?

I think SGG makes a lot of good points, but those filled with bias about the program never want to hear it.

Sorry Rick, no offense but we've been hearing this stuff for as long as I've been an student and alum. Under Bowen and now under Gene Blaymaier. At what time does this ever come into fruition?

I think SGG makes a lot of good points, but those filled with bias about the program never want to hear it.

Yes, it's been sort of a "groupthink" lip-service for many in Sparta, but I wouldn't include Rick in that context.  He calls it like he sees it. Moreover, I don't think anything Rick is saying is untrue here, babigos.  What's probably more at play is that, historically-speaking, "we've" talked up this and that in Sparta when the reality was (and largely still is) our budget and facilities have been far more sub-par than most of us have been willing to admit.  I've been pretty frank about the short-comings of South Campus, Spartan Stadium and the E.C, etc., but am powerless to do anything about it.  Others more "in the know" have been more critical of personeel (coaching hires, etc.)  At some point, all of our misgivings come across as incessant complaining/whining, so sometimes you just have to spin everything in a better light.  It's easer that way, but probably not always a healthy outlook...  

Yes, it's been sort of a "groupthink" lip-service for many in Sparta, but I wouldn't include Rick in that context. He calls it like he sees it. Moreover, I don't think anything Rick is saying is untrue here, babigos. What's probably more at play is that, historically-speaking, "we've" talked up this and that in Sparta when the reality was (and largely still is) our budget and facilities have been far more sub-par than most of us have been willing to admit. I've been pretty frank about the short-comings of South Campus, Spartan Stadium and the E.C, etc., but am powerless to do anything about it. Others more "in the know" have been more critical of personeel (coaching hires, etc.) At some point, all of our misgivings come across as incessant complaining/whining, so sometimes you just have to spin everything in a better light. It's easer that way, but probably not always a healthy outlook...

I realize Rick has good ties into the program being the head of the QB club and all. He's always been good to me on a personal level, so I mean no disrespect towards him. But sometimes I wonder if this is just regurgitated stuff from the AD and the rest of those "in the know" of the program. We seem to be digressing under Caragher, which is completely unsettling. I really don't care if he's a nice guy, because nice guys don't always win. Not sure why anyone still has confidence in this guy. The recruiting success has been almost all Donte' Williams, but Caragher seems to be getting all the credit. To me, that's not enough to keep him. He's helping to drive another nail into our program. Not sure even how much more anyone can take of this. At what point does the university put us out of our misery and just concentrate on basketball?