Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrBulldog

Next week's NCAA governance meeting

"The board will be asked to approve the (governance) model for distribution to conferences for discussion in their upcoming spring/summer meetings."

Sounds like we might know more later in the summer what the governance proposal entails.

If they make it public.

So this upcoming meeting doesn't meen much for a while, but I doubt it will be positive for us when we debate the details (openly, I hope).

Great topic from a member of the MW's #1 fanbase....so I nominate Dr Bulldog as chair of MW's flagship member fanbase. :)

BYU is gone, now Fresno State is in charge of MW governance. :D

~ FF

The MWC and other so-called G5 conferences will be utterly and royally screwed under this legislation. It's been brilliantly crafted by the P5 schools to enable themselves to pass a variety of new rules that will substantially increase their competitive advantage, while at the same time making it close to impossible for the G5 schools to institute the same changes even if they are willing to incur the costs of those changes.

More details are here:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-686730.html

Any MWC school president who doesn't understand what's going down and isn't working like hell to prevent it should be summarily fired.

I personally don't think the split will come between G5 and the P5, but between the FBS and FCS levels. 

The FCS has blocked most of the reforms the P5 have proposed. Also, playing nothing but other P5 schools would like result in more 7-5, and 8-4 seasons. The change in wins per season would adversely affect the P5 schools fan base. With attendance already declining across the country, http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304795804579097223907738780      I don't think the P5 will make such a huge break. 

The P5 and G5 need each other. The FCS...not so much. 

spartan-hands.gif

I personally don't think the split will come between G5 and the P5, but between the FBS and FCS levels. 

The FCS has blocked most of the reforms the P5 have proposed. Also, playing nothing but other P5 schools would like result in more 7-5, and 8-4 seasons. The change in wins per season would adversely affect the P5 schools fan base. With attendance already declining across the country, http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304795804579097223907738780      I don't think the P5 will make such a huge break. 

The P5 and G5 need each other. The FCS...not so much.

This is exactly my thinking too. The P5 is using it's clout to gain autonomy and I think they will redefine D1A as the top 80-85 or so programs when all is said and done. They are tired of the 300 or so D1A basketball smaller programs driving the bus and not football.

NCAA membership votes yes on this and they are helping to create the nightmare.  A majority NO vote puts the P5 into the position of having to leave the NCAA to make their version of college athletics work.  I don't know how that will go down but I've always felt that if a guy is after your cash, you don't just throw your wallet on the table. You make it as difficult as possible.

The P5 is trying to force a split "in-house" so they can have their cake and eat it too.  The rest have to say no.  There has to be one set of rules for everybody, or the rules don't work.  It's real simple, "these are the rules for all NCAA institutions, if you can't live by them then don't be an NCAA institiution".  If they want autonomy, no one is going to stop them, but sure as hell nobody should cater to them either.