Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

sporting news ranks mwc football coaches

I think they're a little hard on Polian considering what we faced last year.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Hold on a second- why is UNLV the toughest job in college football? Has anyone writing for Sporting News ever been to Las Cruces or Moscow? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Mcelwain is too high. Only thing hes proven so far is he is a money grubber. The way he handled Colorado last year was impressive, but at the same time it was Colorado. Jury is still out imho.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

I'm not yet sold on DeRuyter. He's won these past two years with Hill's recruits and hasn't yet proven himself a great recruiter on his own. He's got a lot more resources to work with than Hill had but I don't think you can fairly judge him for another two or three years.

Got my fingers crossed, however.

Needless to say, I think it is premature to evaluate several other coaches as well.

Yoda out...

____________________________________________...

After deleting some of my posts and closing the offending SteveAztec thread, a couple of elites have been able to open it long enough to respond to me anyway.  And since I can’t respond on a closed thread, here is my response…

Other than the initial inquiry, this has never been about letting Steve post again; I doubt that he even wants to post here.  My complaint is about his treatment on this board and the failure of admins to control attacks on him – and worse, to sometimes participate in those attacks.

Steve was first banned on the SDSU board.  When he was banned, it was a sufficiently controversial that they started what became an 8 page thread on the topic to justify the decision (https://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/9747/steve-aztec-longer-member-board).  It is clear that Steve had support in the community and there was some criticism for the Board Administrators for having failed to “expel the dozens of people who've been taunting him.”  (And take a look at the thread that I bumped; initially it was supporters happy about Steve getting a radio show.  Then the haters arrived.)

I can’t say if Steve took it too far in response, but I will say that he denies most of various accusations and adds important missing context to others.  But I wasn’t a party to any of the events and can’t say who is in the right and who is in the wrong.  And I have to admit that if half of what has been said about him is true, depending on context, I might well have banned him too.  Or more likely I might have banned those who were taunting him.  (Steve had lost a brother-in-law to suicide and there have been a number of memes of people blowing their brains out, as well as posts blaming Steve or his sister for the suicide – and admins apparently let it go.)

I am in no position to evaluate the truth or falsity of the laundry list of claims made on this board about how Steve responded to all this.  My complaint, however, is about his treatment on this board.  I may be wrong, but his banning on this board at least appears to have been less about what he did on this board and more a carryover from the SDSU banning.  The same taunting continued – more suicide memes – apparently ignored by the admins. Utenation supposedly posted the first and it is explained away because he didn’t know about the suicide.  But was the post taken down?  Was an apology issued?   Indeed, for years, admins on this board have allowed Steve to be vilified based on little more than anecdotal hearsay.  This is a privately owned board, but it is not a private board – anyone can join.  And more than that, It’s not an anonymous board; people know who Steve.  You have a duty to protect your posters from libelous statements and unproven allegations -- especially when, having been banned themselves, they have no ability to defend themselves.

Even Retrofade (who says he’s not a mod but can post to closed threads) put up a “blowing his brains out” meme several years ago.  He knew that Steve lost his brother-in-law to suicide, and he now says that “Steve is a mentally disturbed individual”, which is libelous by the way, but excuses his meme as nothing more than being in “poor taste”.  Apparently it is okay with the board's current admins to taunt a "mentally disturbed person" because the post has never been taken down.  The poster has never been admonished.  And there has been no apology, unless you consider "he deserved it" to be an apology.

In my view, you owe Steve an apology for the treatment that you have tolerated and, in some cases, engaged in.  A former Aztec board went out of business when sued (not by Steve).  It won’t be the last one.  You need to fix this.  You need to administer your board and prevent libelous and incendiary attacks -- hearsay-- on posters. 

that canon being red is definitely traumatic...i hope he's ok. B)

I'm sure getting swept by us caused a lot of rebel fans to question their purpose in life.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Not real impressed with the article overall, but l also can't agree with the rankings.  How does Calhoun rank #7?  I'm not a fan of the guy but he's done more with less than any coach in the conference, and has been doing it for a while.  Hauk at #4??  And like I've said in other posts, I have immense respect for Bohl but I'd have a hard time claiming that he's been one of the best coaches in the conference until he actually coaches a game in the conference.  Same with Harsin.  I won't comment on Coach Mac, I realize I'm very biased there.  I'd agree though on DeRuyter at #1 for now, we'll see how he does without Carr.

I'm sure getting swept by us caused a lot of rebel fans to question their purpose in life.

i believe it did! (and i had something similar to that in my post, and decided to let you do it...i'm just considerate like that, lol).

I laughed out loud when it said that Bohl was a longtime elite defensive coordinator at Nebraska under Tom Osborne.  He was never the defensive coordinator under Dr. Osborne and in truth, his three years as defensive coordinator is what knocked Nebraska out of the ranks of the elite programs.  They still haven't recovered.

i believe it did! (and i had something similar to that in my post, and decided to let you do it...i'm just considerate like that, lol).

We are more alike than you'd like to admit :D

Mcelwain is too high. Only thing hes proven so far is he is a money grubber. The way he handled Colorado last year was impressive, but at the same time it was Colorado. Jury is still out imho.

We lost to Colorado.

I laughed out loud when it said that Bohl was a longtime elite defensive coordinator at Nebraska under Tom Osborne.  He was never the defensive coordinator under Dr. Osborne and in truth, his three years as defensive coordinator is what knocked Nebraska out of the ranks of the elite programs.  They still haven't recovered.

You mean how the most points his defense averaged in allowing during his time there was about 23 points per game? Yeah, REAL bad.