Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Khem Birch

Alot of people in his corner want him to go the NBA so he can be their breadwinner. Those who actually care are saying he should stay, finish his degree and use the year to develop his offensive game some more.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Alot of people in his corner want him to go the NBA so he can be their breadwinner. Those who actually care are saying he should stay, finish his degree and use the year to develop his offensive game some more.

The same situation occurred with Marcus Slaughter several years ago.  The wrong people whispered in his ear he'd be a #1 draft choice.  Fisher knew he wasn't ready, but Slaughter's family wanted the dough.  To no one's surprise, I think he might still be playing somewhere o/seas or totally out of basketball.  For Birch's sake, I hope he uses his head.

The same situation occurred with Marcus Slaughter several years ago.  The wrong people whispered in his ear he'd be a #1 draft choice.  Fisher knew he wasn't ready, but Slaughter's family wanted the dough.  To no one's surprise, I think he might still be playing somewhere o/seas or totally out of basketball.  For Birch's sake, I hope he uses his head.

I believe Slaughter plays with former Aggie great Jaycee Carroll on one of the premier teams in all of Europe, Real Madrid.

I think Birch is a second rounder regardless, he can score in athletic ways and by using position before he gets there but he really struggles on post without great position, really don't see much changing with another year. His shot blocking and athleticism will give him a shot. Rarely do players that stay at high major programs help their stock from junior to senior year.

Lower body strength is Birch's biggest issue. He gets pushed around too much down low, and without a consitent jumper, he will not have any offense going against NBA bigs.

He can still earn a decent living on the defensive side as an energy rebounder and shot blocker. I agree that he is unlikely to get to first round material even if he stays.

It must be noted that I am not, nor do I pretend to be, an NBA scout though. :)

I think Birch is a second rounder regardless, he can score in athletic ways and by using position before he gets there but he really struggles on post without great position, really don't see much changing with another year. His shot blocking and athleticism will give him a shot. Rarely do players that stay at high major programs help their stock from junior to senior year.

Except the quality of players in draft play a big role...this season has a good amount of one and dones. Next year, not soo much.

Making it to the end of 1st round next year isn't impossible.

He showed considerable improvement from soph to jr year. I think he can take another leap going forward.

Except the quality of players in draft play a big role...this season has a good amount of one and dones. Next year, not soo much.

He showed considerable improvement from soph to jr year. I think he can take another leap going forward.

This is fair

If he can consistently knock down that 10-15 foot jumper he can perhaps find a niche as a bench utility guy in the NBA at the 4 spot.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

this is khem decision in a nutshell; i am pretty sure khem doesnt even know what he is going to do.

Slaughter's doing OK. He's living in Madrid. Gets a condo and car for free. Last I heard he was making $250K. He sent a friend an autographed Ronaldo jersey. Not sure another year would have really made a difference in the end.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

From what I understand Khem's family isn't hurting for money and he comes from a middle class family where education is valued. Now Khem's handlers on the other hand are looking at one thing and one thing only $$$ regardless of if he is ready or not.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Slaughter's doing OK. He's living in Madrid. Gets a condo and car for free. Last I heard he was making $250K. He sent a friend an autographed Ronaldo jersey. Not sure another year would have really made a difference in the end.

I could think of worse things in life, if he is smart he invested or saved some of that money so when he comes home he can find a decent job maybe coaching or teaching and live off his investments.

From a brief search he's bounced around between France, Spain and Germany which are fairly high paying leagues. My guess is over the course of his career he's probably made somewhere around 2 million.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Not to mention he probably put on a good 10 pounds of muscle last summer.

His soph to Jr season was a jump. His improvement over the season was good.

I think the last 13 games or something like that he averaged 15 pts 12 reb and 4 blocks.

I think one more year is just what he needs. This last season was his only real full season.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

I don't think birch will be a first rounder next year with some of the talent coming back. That being said I'm guessing he's taking so long cause he hasn't liked feedback from nba and is probably leaning towards staying. Hoping he stays, need at least 2 top 25 teams in league next year.

Listening to a couple of sports radio guys yesterday they were saying what they were hearing was that he was considering leaving.  But, until we know for sure we don't know.  All I can think of is that he has had the information since Monday from the NBA so he is taking his time to make sure he is making the right decision for himself.