Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFanatic

Could CUSA/MW merger bail us out?

Fresno's Athletic Department from top to bottom is as good as anyone's in this Conference.

SJSU has work to do.

I don't mean to imply the AD is mismanaged, but I look at the success of SDSU, and BSU, sweet 16 and fiesta bowl, and don't see Fresno's claim that WE are the anchor as valid. I don't think Fresno is anchor either, but i don't think they can throw stones at us. 

spartan-hands.gif

Conference mates can always be critical

Or supportive

It goes with being in the conference together

Who doesn't have a position there to tell others what they can do are the lone wolf BYU fans. You aren't in the conference, you don't get to tell us what to do.

I can tell you whatever I feel like telling you.  Go make your Halloween decorations.  See?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I'll be willing to concede that a down USC team is still good. Though i think USC is the most overrated team in college sports. but i digress. 

What was the result of the 2012 season's bowl game? Im not saying we are superior, but don't call us an anchor when the production from Fresno is not at the top of the MWC. 

Ahh no

Not even

That belongs to Notre Lame

One of the Final Five..........

I love watching Sparties go after the fresnickians

Especially after some fresnick fans were on here prior to the end of the season blasting everyone else in the conference for costing them in the computers and thereby a BCS berth

you tell 'em sparties

Ahh no

Not even

That belongs to Notre Lame

I'm not a ND hater, but I see what you mean. U$C has the most undeserved reputation, while ND has some major wins. I might also throw Texas in there. I don't even think they play football anymore, the just sell t-shirts and hats now. 

spartan-hands.gif

The point I am making, or more accurately that you are intentionally being obtuse and avoiding, is that people are rarely going to call for throwing out Conference mates that have been here since the beginning.

You guys are new, and a lot of people were against adding SJSU (and USU for that matter), so yes they are going to pile on your terrible Basketball and Football performance over the last decade + much more than they are going to point out schools who founded the MWC.

For the record I am not a Spartan basher, just answering your question and trying to lend some perspective.

And I understand all that. And the point I am making that people are being intentionally being obtuse and avoiding is that WTF have a lot of the front range schools done in football to throw stones? NOTHING. They have mostly alternated between bad to mediocre with a few good years... Just like SJSU.

2013-10-31.jpg

I did that last night.  Those Halloween decorations aren't going to make themselves, though.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what is that cheap store bought shit you got there?????????

Those aren't Halloween decorations

I got plenty of time. This is quilting season anyway, not Halloween deco. Not for at least another month

I'm not a ND hater, but I see what you mean. U$C has the most undeserved reputation, while ND has some major wins. I might also throw Texas in there. I don't even think they play football anymore, the just sell t-shirts and hats now. 

I wouldn't even say USC was undeserving

I do think they aren't going to climb back to the top of the PAC heap anytime soon though. Sark isn't Lammie Kiffen but he isn't PC either

And I understand all that. And the point I am making that people are being intentionally being obtuse and avoiding is that WTF have a lot of the front range schools done in football to throw stones? NOTHING. They have mostly alternated between bad to mediocre with a few really good years... Just like SJSU.

Are we really going to do this?

2013: 6-6

2012: 11-2 (watermark year)

2011: 5-7

2010: 1-12

2009: 2-10

2008: 6-6

2007: 5-7

2006: 9-4

2005: 3-8

2004: 2-9

50-71 over 10 years.  It's a poor record.  There's 2 good seasons in there.  Your average record over that time is a losing one, 

I don't get how you can be critical of the front range teams when they were seeing ranked squads from TCU, Utah, and BYU on a frequent basis.  The only comparable program to that was Boise in the WAC.  AFA was pretty good over that time as well.  Wyoming had 3 or 4 bowls over the time you're referring to.  AFA went to one almost every year since Calhoun has been there.   New Mexico went to 3 over that time.  So did CSU.

I mean, you're complaining about them doing nothing all these years, and they all went to more bowls over the last decade than you guys did against better competition than you faced.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what is that cheap store bought +++++ you got there?????????

Those aren't Halloween decorations

I got plenty of time. This is quilting season anyway, not Halloween deco. Not for at least another month

scrap-monkey-quilt-4.jpg

Well, those quilts aren't going to make themselves either.

50-71 over 10 years.  

Hysterical-laugh.gif

You claim SJSU is an anchor but what has Fresno done? You didn't make it to the sweet 16, nor did you win a fiesta bowl. I'm not saying we are better than you, but you certainly need to check yourself. 

I made a lengthy post on how if i were the commissioner of the MWC, being purely objective, I would have invited SJSU as well. The MWC was right in demanding certain guarantees from SJSU. Facilities, basketball, etc.The SF Bay Area Is ~4.6 million people. last year's tv rating had us with ~550k viewrs, Cal ~900k, and Stanford ~2 million. As of today the on field product isn't much of a draw, but the potential is so much higher than any other school in the MWC. SJSU is the MWC's largest media property.

if SJSU didn't make large commitments to its athletic program, I wouldn't have invited them. Since they have, It was one of the better adds. It can easily siphon off tons of Cal viewers, and will draw many SJSU alums that watch other college teams, back into viewing

What has Fresno done?  We've regularly drawn crowds of 40,000+, we've been to 13 bowl games in 15 years, had a number one overall NFL draft pick and an NBA lottery pick and won back to back MWC championships.  That's not to say we're ready for the Pac-12, but were are solid, better than average, mid-major program that is on-par or better than every program in this conference not named Boise.  In other words, we're exactly where we should be.  

It's laughable to think SJSU will ever be a major player in the Bay Area sports world, it simply isn't going to happen.  You have the potential to draw in millions of fans like I have the potential to win the lottery next week.  SJSU was an okay addition at the time you were invited, if for no other reason than it gave teams more games in CA.  With the return of SDSU and Boise it became a questionable add at best.  

Nobody in their right mind would want to add more programs with SJSU's track record on the promise that they'll try to be better in the future.  You need to show me that you can compete year in and year out before I'm willing to buy it.  

50-71 over 10 years. It's a poor record. There's 2 good seasons in there. Your average record over that time is a losing one,

I don't get how you can be critical of the front range teams when they were seeing ranked squads from TCU, Utah, and BYU on a frequent basis. The only comparable program to that was Boise in the WAC. AFA was pretty good over that time as well. Wyoming had 3 or 4 bowls over the time you're referring to. AFA went to one almost every year since Calhoun has been there. New Mexico went to 3 over that time. So did CSU.

I mean, you're complaining about them doing nothing all these years, and they all went to more bowls over the last decade than you guys did against better competition than you faced.

SDSU won 56 games in that span, Wyoming won 53, we won 50, USU 47, CSU 45, UNM 42, and UNLV 31. My only point was that if we are an "FCS level program" what does that make them? And yea That is a very good point regarding them having to play Utah, BYU, and TCU, but like you said we also played Boise. And while they weren't as consistent, Fresno, Hawaii, and nevada fielded teams that were very good at different points during that span.

So yea, we are really going to do this.

scrap-monkey-quilt-4.jpg

Well, those quilts aren't going to make themselves either.

Don't you need to wash your bike?

1 I am at work so I can't quilt and 2 I keep running into quilting impediments

183111_10151488550792615_1159800333_n.jp

but don't call us an anchor when the production from Fresno is not at the top of the MWC. 

I'm trying to figure out how winning the conference title both years we've been here somehow means we're not at the top of the conference.  That's some strange logic.  

I'm trying to figure out how winning the conference title both years we've been here somehow means we're not at the top of the conference. That's some strange logic.

Yea, spartan grad made no sense there. You guys are without a doubt the top dogs (no pun intended) in the conference right now.