Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Htownfan

MWC New Members

Are You Happy in the MWC wac teams?   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Including Boise. Are you satisfied being in the MWC? Newbies

• Yes
    • No

Sjsu averaged 4,000 more people per game this year than last. That was a 33% increase. Yes 12,000 is absolutely horrible, and 16,000 isn't good either. But it's a start. With the past two years, we may finally see students excited about going to games.

Glass half full, I like it.  Now it's time to get the stadium half full :P

TIC, tots obs

Sjsu averaged 4,000 more people per game this year than last. That was a 33% increase. Yes 12,000 is absolutely horrible, and 16,000 isn't good either. But it's a start. With the past two years, we may finally see students excited about going to games.

Attendance likely drops this year without Fresno fans helping you out with a spike at the end.

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Attendance likely drops this year without Fresno fans helping you out with a spike at the end.

I agree. Fresno helped out a ton. But Nevada travels well to Sjsu and so does Hawaii. I really hate that San Jose played both Fresno and sdsu at home last year. I wish that they would alternate.

What I think would be a good idea is if they made the Fresno, sdsu, and sjsu games like a commander and chief trophy. The winner gets some sort of trophy as being the top CA state school.

The problem I notice is your exclusion of SJSU in the demise of the conference. Even in your recent success...you guys are still irrelevant in your market. I'd lump you guys in with the names you mentioned. Yeah you might have a decent football product now....you still are irrelevant in the market place and have an abismal fan base.

That is empirically untrue. http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/17/5216550/college-football-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

Infact SJSU is more relevant than half the MWC. 

The home attendance i think plays a smaller role for everyone. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304795804579097223907738780

Even pro teams are seeing a decrease in attendance. What is more important is TV. Geographically Hawaii will never be able to compete. The MWC has a big handicap being on the west coast.. Though the MWC was the highest of the G5, and is nocking on the door of the Big12! 

spartan-hands.gif

That is empirically untrue. http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/17/5216550/college-football-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

Infact SJSU is more relevant than half the MWC.

The home attendance i think plays a smaller role for everyone. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304795804579097223907738780

Even pro teams are seeing a decrease in attendance. What is more important is TV. Geographically Hawaii will never be able to compete. The MWC has a big handicap being on the west coast.. Though the MWC was the highest of the G5, and is nocking on the door of the Big12!

More relevant? Well that's a laugher......the couple fans in the stands are laughing with you too.

rp_primary_UH_Lower_Campus.jpg

University of Hawai'i Athletics

clearly you saw that Hawaii isn't even listed on the TV ratings rank. So while you may be relevant to your island, you have be interesting since Colt Brennan.

You also didn't check the story about home attendance, I am not worried.

When Hawaii drops to d2 it will not come as a shocker to anyone. You can thank Norm Chow for that. 

spartan-hands.gif

clearly you saw that Hawaii isn't even listed on the TV ratings rank. So while you may be relevant to your island, you have be interesting since Colt Brennan.

When Hawaii drops to d2 it will not come as a shocker to anyone. You can thank Norm Chow for that.

Hawaii is on an island.....if the only bright spot you have is claiming a TV market that doesn't care even an ounce about you....then that's all you.

The difference between Hawaii and SJSU.....is the fact that at least our fans continue to back us and support us. When you have to depend on visiting fans to spike your numbers....you have a problem.

My original intention was not to bash SJSU but to show a delusional fan like yourself that SJSU is in the same boat with all us minions. Your program is simply a plankton in a vast ocean that is your TV market....doesn't help anyone including the MWC. Keep dreaming. Btw, I saw your link. Numbers don't mean a damn thing when your own fans don't even care about you.

Btw.....I wouldnt talk about D2 if I were you.....many D2 schools draw more than you. That is just plain sad. Also, we went 1-11 last year and still drew 20,000k plus average......so what say you boo boo?

If you saw the link you would see we have more TV fans then yourself. Your whole argument is predicated on the fact that you have fans in the stadium. I say that sporting event attendance is down across the country, placing greater importance on TV viewers, which HAW doesn't have. If you were to equal our viewership you would need an equivalent  of ~90,000 fans per game at your stadium

I by no means said SJSU is the power behind the MWC. In fact i clearly stated that SJSU, even with the largest market in the MWC, needs to field a better product. SDSU. Fresno, and BSU have better TV ratings then we do. Also, >10% of a 4.5 million viewer market is hardly irrelevant. 

spartan-hands.gif

If you saw the link you would see we have more TV fans then yourself. Your whole argument is predicated on the fact that you have fans in the stadium. I say that sporting event attendance is down across the country, placing greater importance on TV viewrs, which HAW doesn't have. If you were to equal our viewership you would need an equivalent of ~90,000 fans per game at your stadium

I by no means said SJSU is the power behind the MWC. In fact i clearly stated that SJSU, even with the largest market in the MWC, needs to field a better product. SDSU. Fresno, and BSU have better TV ratings then we do. Also, >10% of a 4.5 million viewer market is hardly irrelevant.

Tv market is irrelevant when YOU are irrelevant in the TV market.

Btw, those figures are for this past year! Hawaii is a combined 4-20 the past two years. 2 bad years=uninterested viewers=less time on TV. A winning Hawaii product will easily change that.

When you WIN....they WATCH.

Apparently you deserve a medal because you just so happen to be in a big TV market and are having some recent success? Congrats.....you deserve a cookie! Cheers.

Wait when you guys start to suck again....you will revert back to no one watching you live or on TV.....which will compliment your already sh*tty and uninterested

Fan base.

Great job SJSU!

Hawaii is on an island.....if the only bright spot you have is claiming a TV market that doesn't care even an ounce about you....then that's all you.

The difference between Hawaii and SJSU.....is the fact that at least our fans continue to back us and support us. When you have to depend on visiting fans to spike your numbers....you have a problem.

My original intention was not to bash SJSU but to show a delusional fan like yourself that SJSU is in the same boat with all us minions. Your program is simply a plankton in a vast ocean that is your TV market....doesn't help anyone including the MWC. Keep dreaming. Btw, I saw your link. Numbers don't mean a damn thing when your own fans don't even care about you.

Btw.....I wouldnt talk about D2 if I were you.....many D2 schools draw more than you. That is just plain sad. Also, we went 1-11 last year and still drew 20,000k plus average......so what say you boo boo?

+1

"Guns Up, Now Tear'em Up!"We Are New Mexico State University! #PROTECTTHEVALLEY

Actually, that's one of the reasons why we are so valuable.

Unique time slot, no competition, football die hards watch it late at night and pulls in higher ratings than anything else in that time slot.

If it mattered to TV, they would just make us play early in the morning.   But TV likes the later time slot.

HAW? worst possible market ever, no one watches anything on the rock because it comes on so late

Actually, that's one of the reasons why we are so valuable.

Unique time slot, no competition, football die hards watch it late at night and pulls in higher ratings than anything else in that time slot.

If it mattered to TV, they would just make us play early in the morning.   But TV likes the later time slot.

I watched the SJSU V Haw last season and it ran until 1am, and I'm on the west coast. The major population centers in the US are all back east meaning that game ended at 4am. No one watched. 

spartan-hands.gif

Tv market is irrelevant when YOU are irrelevant in the TV market.

Btw, those figures are for this past year! Hawaii is a combined 4-20 the past two years. 2 bad years=uninterested viewers=less time on TV. A winning Hawaii product will easily change that.

When you WIN....they WATCH.

Apparently you deserve a medal because you just so happen to be in a big TV market and are having some recent success? Congrats.....you deserve a cookie! Cheers.

Wait when you guys start to suck again....you will revert back to no one watching you live or on TV.....which will compliment your already sh*tty and uninterested

Fan base.

Great job SJSU!

Look I'm sorry I bashed your team. SJSU is always having to defend ourselves. far be it of me to say one team is better than another. I don't want to see HAW go to D2, hopefully Chow leaves and you guys can right the ship.

spartan-hands.gif

A spartan fan talking about if Hawaii dropped to D2, that is rich.....

The fact is, none of the added member universities did Jack to earn an invite into the MWC.  It has to do with the manifest destiny of a Hamburger chain.  I read this thread seven years ago and mistakenly assumed Fresno State would not receive and invitation to the MWC until the city secured a Perkins Restaurant:

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=9439&hl=Perkins&st=0

When Boise was added, I was convinced a Perkins restaurant needed to be secured by Fresno at all costs (#7):

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=25096&hl=%2Bperkins#entry415551

I was right about Hamburgers being the key to Bulldogs success; however, it turns out the key to the coveted invitation was securing a Five Guys establishment, not Perkins:

http://www.fiveguys.com/locations/store-list-by-state.aspx

I submit that Boise, Logan, San Jose, and Fresno all have Five Guys establishment.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Even if SJSU were winning they wouldn't fill the stadium

Just not enough interest in CFB in that area and they already have to fight Stanford and Cal for interest. I think there is more local interest in the Sharks than the sparties

The Sharks have appeal across the entire Bay Area and don't have any other NHL teams to compete against. Of course there's more appeal.

The Sharks have appeal across the entire Bay Area and don't have any other NHL teams to compete against. Of course there's more appeal.

You are again confused by the definitions of various words. Appeal is not the correct term, competition would be what you were trying for. Loyalty would also be more applicable.

There are no other Hockey teams to compete for attention vs the Sharks.

If you had read my entire post you would have noted that I mentioned the CFB competition the sparties face. Even so, in an area with millions, the sparties cannot outdraw what is typically a cold weather sport.

The interest in CFB in the Bay area is just not that high and even in a winning season they won't drae huge crowds. Shark fans are more loyal than the far more numerous pool of SJSU alumni.

One of the Final Five..........

You are again confused by the definitions of various words. Appeal is not the correct term, competition would be what you were trying for. Loyalty would also be more applicable.

There are no other Hockey teams to compete for attention vs the Sharks.

If you had read my entire post you would have noted that I mentioned the CFB competition the sparties face. Even so, in an area with millions, the sparties cannot outdraw what is typically a cold weather sport.

The interest in CFB in the Bay area is just not that high and even in a winning season they won't drae huge crowds. Shark fans are more loyal than the far more numerous pool of SJSU alumni.

Yea, the Bay Area isn't a great college football market, we know that... Babigos never claimed otherwise. He was just pointing out that the sharks are the only nhl team in the bay, and a succesful one at that. And not only that, they are the only "big 4" sports team to represent San Jose (even the earthquakes don't actually play in SJ). So yea, sjsu doesn't have as big a fan base as the sharks, big deal. It's not something to be embarrassed about.