Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utenation

Comcast customers now have options

It's been nice having the full lineup with Comcast but IMO, Comcast is very expensive. I'm going to assume that the Mtn will be on a basic DTV tier in SLC based on the popularity.. So DTV users, how do I compare?

Currently, I pay around $130 with Comcast. I have HD(around 23 channels), most movie channels, high speed internet, the Sports tier, which has CSTV in the package..

Versus is basic along with the Mtn...I hope this move will have some impact on price for consumers... Comcast has been getting away with murder when it comes to keeping MWC fans..

It's been nice having the full lineup with Comcast but IMO, Comcast is very expensive. I'm going to assume that the Mtn will be on a basic DTV tier in SLC based on the popularity.. So DTV users, how do I compare?

Currently, I pay around $130 with Comcast. I have HD(around 23 channels), most movie channels, high speed internet, the Sports tier, which has CSTV in the package..

Versus is basic along with the Mtn...I hope this move will have some impact on price for consumers... Comcast has been getting away with murder when it comes to keeping MWC fans..

Yes we do, and i'll be exercising my options. Last year I signed up for a "ditch the dish" promotion. I called them last week to find out when my one year promotion is up and what the price goes up to. It will go from $68/month to $140 or so per month. Are you kidding me? It's going to double and I get nothing above my current plan. I asked why they only wanted me to "ditch the dish" for a year, not forever. She asked "what do you mean", I informed her that the promotion got me there for a year, but it's now going to make me return to satellitle.

So Dish network has until May 22 to sign with the MTN, or i'm going to DirecTV. (Was with Dish before, love their DVR, would love to go back)

Guest Cowboy Junky

Yes we do, and i'll be exercising my options. Last year I signed up for a "ditch the dish" promotion. I called them last week to find out when my one year promotion is up and what the price goes up to. It will go from $68/month to $140 or so per month. Are you kidding me? It's going to double and I get nothing above my current plan. I asked why they only wanted me to "ditch the dish" for a year, not forever. She asked "what do you mean", I informed her that the promotion got me there for a year, but it's now going to make me return to satellitle.

So Dish network has until May 22 to sign with the MTN, or i'm going to DirecTV. (Was with Dish before, love their DVR, would love to go back)

Until Comcast gets it on basic throughout the Mountain West region and nationally via a sports tier, they won't get a dollar of my money. If they can match Directv's deal, then it's a matter of preference. However, Directv gave us our first good deal, and Comcast now has the chance to react to it. If they don't, so be it.

I'm certainly not going to pay for the expensive option(I've got the same thing as Utenation) when there's a 30 dollar option available with Directv.

The ball is in Comcasts court as well as Dish.

That doesn't really sound like that bad of pricing considering all you're getting. You can't get internet through DTV, so you'll have to either pony up for more to get it from Comcast or switch to DSL. Your situation looks like it might be about a push price-wise - it kind of depends on how many sets you've got hooked up.

I'm sticking with Comcast just because I drop down to Limited Basic (about $13 per month) for the March - August period when I have no need for the whole cable lineup. You can't do that with Satellite because you've got a long-term contract. Plus, with satellite, I need to either have a land phone line or pony up an extra $5 per month for not having one. My HD Tivo is also incompatible with satellite so it's not really worth it. I do hate that CSTV is on the digital tier. I pay $5.99 per month for the sports pack and the only thing I use that for is to watch maybe three or four football games over the course of football and basketball seasons that aren't available on mtn or Vs.

Obviously, everybody's situation is unique. If my factors weren't a concern, I'd probably switch to DTV on principle.

Until Comcast gets it on basic throughout the Mountain West region and nationally via a sports tier, they won't get a dollar of my money. If they can match Directv's deal, then it's a matter of preference. However, Directv gave us our first good deal, and Comcast now has the chance to react to it. If they don't, so be it.

Just guessing but I'm sure DTV will probably follow Comcast's tier model somewhat unless their comsumer base is set up differently..

For example, Denver metro is huge but how many Denver residents want CSU/AFA or Wyo programming? Compare that to SLC and ABQ metros that have a higher demand for our teams..

If DTV offers basic throughout the footprint, I'm guessing Comcast would still wait for the impact before they match or discount their rate..

Guest Cowboy Junky

Just guessing but I'm sure DTV will probably follow Comcast's tier model somewhat unless their comsumer base is set up differently..

For example, Denver metro is huge but how many Denver residents want CSU/AFA or Wyo programming? Compare that to SLC and ABQ metros that have a higher demand for our teams..

If DTV offers basic throughout the footprint, I'm guessing Comcast would still wait for the impact before they match or discount their rate..

There are a lot of MWC fans in Denver. CSU actually outnumbers CU for amount of alumni living in Denver. Then you have the AFA and Wyoming crowds. There are a bunch of them too. Make no mistake, Denver has a sizable portion of MWC fans.

That doesn't really sound like that bad of pricing considering all you're getting. You can't get internet through DTV, so you'll have to either pony up for more to get it from Comcast or switch to DSL. Your situation looks like it might be about a push price-wise - it kind of depends on how many sets you've got hooked up.

I'm sticking with Comcast just because I drop down to Limited Basic (about $13 per month) for the March - August period when I have no need for the whole cable lineup. You can't do that with Satellite because you've got a long-term contract. Plus, with satellite, I need to either have a land phone line or pony up an extra $5 per month for not having one. My HD Tivo is also incompatible with satellite so it's not really worth it. I do hate that CSTV is on the digital tier. I pay $5.99 per month for the sports pack and the only thing I use that for is to watch maybe three or four football games over the course of football and basketball seasons that aren't available on mtn or Vs.

Obviously, everybody's situation is unique. If my factors weren't a concern, I'd probably switch to DTV on principle.

I heard a rumor Qwest teamed up with DTV with a comparable speed DSL bundled package that was pound for pound a better deal.. I didn't look at it without the MWC goods..

There are a lot of MWC fans in Denver. CSU actually outnumbers CU for amount of alumni living in Denver. Then you have the AFA and Wyoming crowds. There are a bunch of them too. Make no mistake, Denver has a sizable portion of MWC fans.

I wonder why Comcast didn't offer the metro a basic tier plan then?

Guest Cowboy Junky

I wonder why Comcast didn't offer the metro a basic tier plan then?

They don't have their headquarters in Englewood. Now they get a chance to match the local boys or just enjoy the profits of owning half, because they can't force me to turn down the better deal that Directv is offering right now.

FYI, There are more CSU grads in Denver than from any other school. Plus there are many AFA fans and some poke fans sprinkled in.

The demand is higher than you might think.

It's true that most in Denver are pro sports fans, unfortunately

FYI, There are more CSU grads in Denver than from any other school. Plus there are many AFA fans and some poke fans sprinkled in.

The demand is higher than you might think.

It's true that most in Denver are pro sports fans, unfortunately

I'm only basing that on what Comcast offered that market.. JMO but I think the MWC tourney failure in Denver shows something about lack of MWC interest in the area on a larger scale.. Not saying there isn't quality MWC fans in the area, I think most of that has to do with the pro sports..

Depends on how many movie channels, how many TVs with HD and DVR, etc. You can't do a complete apples to apples comparison since we don't know the tier details for the mtn, but you can come close:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conte...assetId=3310008

Keep in mind the movie channels are free for three months, so you'd have to add that back in.

Guest Cowboy Junky

Comcast and Directv have some hard decisions to make. That's the reason why this deal was announced now, when it starts in August. The MWC has provided Comcast and Dish with a certain amount of time to come up with alternate options that can compete with Directv. It's going to be hard to beat basic throughout the MWC footprint and available nationally on a sports tier. Comcast and Dish better get to work, because I know the MWC fans aren't going to reward people for "good effort".

Depends on how many movie channels, how many TVs with HD and DVR, etc. You can't do a complete apples to apples comparison since we don't know the tier details for the mtn, but you can come close:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conte...assetId=3310008

Keep in mind the movie channels are free for three months, so you'd have to add that back in.

I can't wait for these guys to start competing for our business with promotions...

All those that have the Mtn, wouldn't you agree the content, quality and scope has gotten much better since year one?

I think if they continue to work on announcers and camera quality, it could be first class.. Does anyone have or been exposed to both the B10 network and the Mtn for comparisons?

I think the Mtn is already above CSTV quality...

Guest Cowboy Junky

It will be interesting to see how much this changes programming. CBS is about to start their nightly college highlights show in two weeks. I, for one, am looking forward to watching highlights without the ESPN slant. However, that is rumored to air at 7:00 and again at 10:00 I think. That goes directly against the Mtn. View on Friday night and Around the mtn. on Tuesday night, two of my favorite shows. I'm wondering if Around the Mtn. and the Mtn. View change windows so they don't compete for viewers with CBS College Sports. Personally, I would like nothing better than to watch the Mtn. View directly before watching an hour of College Sports Highlights on CBS College Sports.

To put it into perspective, I switched to DTV from Dish a couple of months ago. Right now, my bill is around $50 per month with all of the promotions. It will increase to $130 in about 9 months after the promotions are over. What do I get for that price?

Pretty much everything.

The standard stuff

Sports Pack - all RSNs, CSTV, Vs, ESPNU

Every available premium channel and....

the following channels in HD

ABC

CBS

Fox

NBC

MyNetwork

CW

ESPN

ESPN 2

HBO

Discovery HD Theater

HDNet

HDNet Movies

Showtime

TNT

Universal

A&E

Animal Planet

Big Ten Nework

A&E Biography

Bravo

Cartoon

Cinemax

Cinemax West

CMT

CNBC

CNN

CSTV

Discovery

Food Network

Fox Business

Fuel

FX

Versus/Golf

HBO West

HGTV

History

MGM

MTV

MHD

National Geographic

NBATV

NFL Nework

NHL Network

Nickelodean

Showtime 2

Showtime West

Smithsonian

Speed

Spike

Starz

Starz West

Starz Comedy

Starz Edge

Starz Family

TBS

Movie Channel

Science Channel

Scifi

Tennis Network

Weather Channel

TLC

USA

VH1

Plus about 20 RSNs in HD

That's what you'll get for $130 on DTV.

I'm only basing that on what Comcast offered that market.. JMO but I think the MWC tourney failure in Denver shows something about lack of MWC interest in the area on a larger scale.. Not saying there isn't quality MWC fans in the area, I think most of that has to do with the pro sports..

Fans couldn't stand Dale Layer's brand of B-ball. Slow, boring, losing, year after year.

That's what killed CSU's support at the Pepsi Center.

In the early 90's CSU played North Carolina and Colorado at the old McNichols Arena and the place was packed with Ram Fans.

Do agree that support at the MWC tournament should have been a little better. :(