Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oregonducks

How would you do it?

Let's just say for argument's sake, that a 12 team MWC with 2 divisions and a championship game

is enough to merit a BCS autobid (which the BCS inclusion seems high on your list of priorities)

Which 3 teams do you add?

How do you configure the divisional alignments?

Maybe this could happen sometime in the future, it is at least interesting to hear your comments.

Honestly, I'd add Boise State, Fresno State, and Hawai'i.

Divisions would be this:

Mountain Division

Wyoming Cowboys

Air Force Falcons

TCU Horned Frogs

Colorado State Rams

New Mexico Lobos

Boise State Broncos

Pacific Division

Brigham Yioung Cougars

Utah Utes

San Diego State Aztecs

Nevada-Las Vegas Rebels

Hawai'i Warriors

Fresno State Bulldogs

I don't believe in the whole Gang of Five has to be together at ALL times crap!

The thing is selecting 3 teams who are worthy is gonna be a difficult task. Obviously....Boise St. deserves to be invited. But other than that...no one really excites me.

However since this is hypothethical i would select the following:

1. Boise St.----via unanimous choice

2. Fresno St.----the girls there are hot and is a good reason to make a road trip if necessary...oh yeah and we can get another leg into Cali recruiting.

3. UTEP----because quite frankly they are better overall as a program than Nevada and/or Hawaii. El Paso is a larger market than Reno and we have a historic past with them. UTEP/UNM rivalry is pretty intense.

We need to remember we MUST try and avoid a potential lawsuit from the WAC if we try and invade too many schools. If we try to deal the death blow to the WAC.....we will have some enemies...n

Not to mention a WAC conference that still exists is good news for the MWC. In order to fill our schedule....we need some token teams to beat year-in year-out! :D

NEW LOBO ORDER

spannaballernp1.gif

WE ARE NEW MEXICO

The thing is selecting 3 teams who are worthy is gonna be a difficult task. Obviously....Boise St. deserves to be invited. But other than that...no one really excites me.

2. Fresno St.----the girls there are hot and is a good reason to make a road trip if necessary...oh yeah and we can get another leg into Cali recruiting.

3. UTEP----because quite frankly they are better overall as a program than Nevada and/or Hawaii. El Paso is a larger market than Reno and we have a historic past with them. UTEP/UNM rivalry is pretty intense.

Fresno's b-ball arena is one of the nicest on the west coast and averaged around 10k a game before the wheels fell off. Nevada has good academics and their teacher salary would rank near the top of the MWC. Not to mention their basketball team and rivalry with UNLV. They picked up a 5 star player who was selected as a Mickey D's All-American.

I think this expansion thread crap sux for the most part, but I would be more apt to go with Spana. After last year, Hawaii is going to the toilet in practically every sport. They have nothing to offer but a warm beach and sunset. Utep makes a logical travel partner for TCU and could possibly become their top rival. Also, if the addition of Fresno, Boyzee, and Hawaii allowed the MWC to become a possible BCS conference, then BYU and Utah's Poly pipline shuts down. Utep will get better at football, and is already decent in BBall, whereas Hawaii is going down in FBall and was never a good BBall school.

Guest Cowboy Junky

I agree with those three if CBS says the Sun Bowl is for the MWC champion, or number 2 if were in a BCS game.

Boise for a whole lot of reasons. They're building facilities everywhere. In addition, they're adding PHD and Doctoral programs left and right. They bring a bowl that would be a huge success with a MWC tie in. Wash the truckstop off of it and it's in driving distance to BYU, Utah, Boise, Wyo, AFA, CSU...Their men's basketball team is in first place. Their women's basketball team is in first place. They can potentially bring a BCS check. The immediate rivalries they add with Utah, BYU, and Wyoming is a nice little perk. In addition, they're the only show in Idaho and Idaho isn't represented by the BCS. Them leaving ESPN would weaken CBS' main competitor.

Fresno brings solid baseball, softball, a great recruiting area, a good football team. They have a lot of fan support, nice facilities, a big budget. In addition, they smack BCS teams in the mouth on a regular basis. I like the toughness of Fresno's program. The rivalry games with Boise and SDSU would be hot product on our t.v. networks.

Utep needs to be in the MWC. They haven't had as much basketball success as they're accustomend to, but for a great number of years they were the basketball power from Texas. Coincidentally, their basketball success ended when they ended their association with us. I would bet if Utep were back in the MWC, their basketball prowess would return as well. Anybody that saw that UNM Utep basketball rivalry know that it means a lot more when it's a conference game. Utep always represented the speed of the old Wac. You couldn't say the old Wac was slow, because Utep had some runners. They are sorely missed on the track and field and cross-country scene. Now, if Utep being in the MWC brings the Sun Bowl or helps sustain the Sun Bowl, that would be fantastic. We need to stop playing the Pac 10 number 5 in our champion bowl. Something definitely needs to be done about that.

If you had to go to twelve, that's my three. Now, you better to be ready to get creative though, because the teams currently in the MWC don't want to stop playing each other. Splitting divisions is tricky.

The Boise-Fresno-UTEP trio is appealing.

How do you split the divisions?

East- Air Force, Colorado State, Wyoming, New Mexico, TCU, UTEP

West - BYU, Utah, Fresno, SDSU, Boise, UNLV

???

Maybe 4 crossover games instead of 3 meaning 9 conference games.

Which also means games against cross divisional foes 4 out of every 6 years

instead of 3 out of every 6 years.

How would that work?

Guest Cowboy Junky

You break it up into four three team sections based on location.

Northwest

BYU

Utah

Boise

Northeast

CSU

AFA

Wyo

Southeast

TCU

Utep

UNM

Southwest

SDSU

Fresno

UNLV

You play the two teams in your quad. The Northern teams play the Northern teams. Southern play the southern. Eastern play eastern teams Western play western teams. That gives you 8 games. Then you rotate one game a year against a team in the diagonal division. That gives you nine games, minimalizes travel costs.

I would have the championship game be based on the BCS ranking of the teams. The top two bcs rated teams, regardless of quadrant, play for the championship. If BYU and Utah had the two highest BCS ranking at the end of the year, they play each other for the championship.

This is the way the Presidents will align the Conference. It is not my preference but it is what will likely happen. I am not in favor of this.

MWC-12

West Division

UNLV

San Diego State

Fresno State

New Mexico

Houston

Texas Christian

Mountain Division

BYU

Utah

Air Force

Boise State

Colorado State

Wyoming

MWC-12 Bowl Lineup

Champion: Automatic BCS Bid

2nd Place: Las Vegas Bowl

3rd Place: Poinsettia Bowl

4th Place: Houston Texas Bowl

5th Place: New Mexico Chile Bowl

6th Place: Fort-Worth Bowl

7th Place: Humanitarian Bowl

MWC-12 Football Championship Game: Played in a new state of the art NFL Stadium in San Diego, CA where they will host the SuperBowl.

MWC-12 Basketball Tournament: Played on the Strip in a new neutral court 20,000 seat NBA Arena in Las Vegas, NV.

Major Television Markets Include:

#5 - Dallas/Fort-Worth

#10 - Houston

#18 - Denver

#27 - San Diego

#35 - Salt Lake City

#43 - Las Vegas

#44 - Albuquerque

#55 - Fresno/Visalia

MWC-12 Games on TV

CBS - Major National Provider

Versus - National Provider

CBS College Sports - National Provider

The Mtn. - National distribution

All Football and Basketball games will be available to a national audience. All games will be broadcast on television.

This would become one of the most powerful conferences in the fastest growing areas of the country. It would only be a matter of time until we dominated everyone.

Guest Cowboy Junky

A North/South split would be the best. It minimalizes the number of trips taken at altitude. In addition, it preserves rivalries that are 100 years old.

Honestly, I'd add Boise State, Fresno State, and Hawai'i.

My problem with Hawaii, other than the ridiculous travel costs, is that last year, even with an undefeated regular season, they only managed 87% capacity at their home games. If you can't sell out in an undefeated regular season with a QB who was getting Heisman hype and setting records, then forget it.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/attend...GATTENDANCE.pdf

2008-Present - Kicker Conditioning Coach, Team Apology

Let's just say for argument's sake, that a 12 team MWC with 2 divisions and a championship game

is enough to merit a BCS autobid (which the BCS inclusion seems high on your list of priorities)

Which 3 teams do you add?

How do you configure the divisional alignments?

Maybe this could happen sometime in the future, it is at least interesting to hear your comments.

2 choices; what id like to see is one, and the other is the best non bcs power conference (not what id like to see).

1)

TCU

UNM

CSU

AFA

WYO

HOUSTON/TULSA/UTEP

BYU

UTAH

FRESNO

BOISE

UNLV

SDSU

Power conference (not what i want to see) of 9-11 teams

BYU

UTAH

BOISE

TCU

FRESNO

UNM

{AIR FORCE}

{HOUSTON/TULSA}

CSU

SDSU

UNLV

west

BYU

UTAH

SDSU

UNLV

FSU

BSU

east

CSU

AFA

UNM

TULSA

TCU

HOUSTON

NEW MWC

EAST

Air Force

BYU

Colorado

Colorado State

Utah

Wyoming

WEST

Boise State

Fresno State

Nevada

New Mexico

San Diego State

UNLV

You are kicking TCU out and somehow getting Colorado to leave the Big-12?

And they call me crazy on this board?

All of these theorized options suck. Foremost because all of them split UNM from playing Utah and BYU consistently.

Besides, the whole premise if flawed, and any discussion that legitimizes the BCS in any way is counter productive.

Why would engorging the MWC make it any more attractive to the "big boys" when the intent is to keep all the money for themselves.

In fact, wouldn't such a move - adding the consistently best teams from the WAC to the MWC - serve to effectively reduce the likelyhood that a team from BOTH conferences have a shot at a BCS bowl game should their performance merit it?

The only change the MWC requires is the addition of UTEP.