Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverRun

Is the Nevada-Boise State rivalry bigger than Nevada-UNLV?

There is a similar trend in Fresno.  Fans my age (35) didn't grow up watching the Dogs play SDSU and SJSU was a doormat for decades.  Since 2001, Boise has been the team many Bulldog fans wanted to beat.

That's BS. I'm 35 and I grew up watching SDSU/Fresno games. It's the 30 and under crowd that don't have the connection.

i doubt reno could ever elevate their basketball team to a level that would make the unlv/reno game anything more than a tough mwc game

at least with unm/sdsu we're battling for recruiting perception and conference/tournament titles 

maybe unlv could fall enough to make it worthwhile but i doubt it 

i doubt reno could ever elevate their basketball team to a level that would make the unlv/reno game anything more than a tough mwc game

at least with unm/sdsu we're battling for recruiting perception and conference/tournament titles 

All it would take is for UNR to get back or close to the Fazekas/Snyder era..........I think UNR could come close to that on a regular basis.

The MWC has the potential to be a strong BB conference with multiple teams being ranked or close to ranking.

All it would take is for UNR to get back or close to the Fazekas/Snyder era..........I think UNR could come close to that on a regular basis.

The MWC has the potential to be a strong BB conference with multiple teams being ranked or close to ranking.

you think reno can elevate its program on a regular basis to the prime of their program? i doubt that very much

outside of the nick fazekas years, that program is pretty forgettable. and now they're in a much tougher conference 

I don't get it. Bsu has a president who is a jack@ss and a lot of fans buy into his bs. Would rather play some 1aa team or directional school than selling out the stadium with premium prices.

Yeah, that just doesn't make sense.  Why not keep the Idaho series alive, when BSU has games on future schedules vs Idaho State, Troy, and UL-Lafayette.

Any idea if there are plans to resume the series at some point?

WolfPack2014poster_zpsda00ea12.jpg

you think reno can elevate its program on a regular basis to the prime of their program? i doubt that very much

outside of the nick fazekas years, that program is pretty forgettable. and now they're in a much tougher conference 

UNR had good teams in the late 70's (ancient I know) & the Fazekas/Snyder era (more recent)..........the potential is there.

UNLV isn't where they once were either................and the rest of the conference is up & down like a yo yo..............and will SDSU be able to sustain their program once Steve Fisher retires.

Yeah, that just doesn't make sense. Why not keep the Idaho series alive, when BSU has games on future schedules vs Idaho State, Troy, and UL-Lafayette.

Any idea if there are plans to resume the series at some point?

I don't think so. I know a few people who give and some ex players who would really like to see it happen

Posted Image

UNLV has never been really bad............some very average years, but UNR has had more average than good.............just neither program was at their peak at the same time.................should that happen (and no reason is shouldn't) then the BB rivalry might really take off...........2 games & NCAA or ranking implications would nake it huge............probably something the FB game will never reach.

Yeah, no doubt about it, Nevada has had more average than good.  Trent Johnson established a solid foundation in BB, then Mark Fox took over, and his first 3 years were outstanding, then things started to drop off.  I don't know if Carter's the guy to get that back, but he put together a roster that should compete better in MWC play.  Burton's an amazing player, and he won a lot of games for Nevada in the closing minutes, but even his talent couldn't overcome the lack of size and athleticism the Pack had in the front court during his time.  It's a big change in philosophy for Carter, who built his past teams around the back court, with little attention to the front court.

Yeah, no doubt about it, Nevada has had more average than good.  Trent Johnson established a solid foundation in BB, then Mark Fox took over, and his first 3 years were outstanding, then things started to drop off.  I don't know if Carter's the guy to get that back, but he put together a roster that should compete better in MWC play.  Burton's an amazing player, and he won a lot of games for Nevada in the closing minutes, but even his talent couldn't overcome the lack of size and athleticism the Pack had in the front court during his time.  It's a big change in philosophy for Carter, who built his past teams around the back court, with little attention to the front court.

The beauty of BB is that a few good recruits can change the trajectory pretty fast.........way less rebuilding than FB obviously - I think the basics are there for NV to be a good program most years.........get to a New Mexico level should be the goal initially. UNM has never been great, but they field a solid teams most of the time, no reason UNR can't attain that level...............same with Fresno, CSU & Wyo.

It's surprising Nevada has more tournament wins than UNLV since 2000, problem is 2007 was the Pack's last appearance.  

UNLV has been making the tourney pretty regularly over the years, but mostly washing out in the first round.  If UNLV can make a run in the tourney, I think it would go a long way in bringing a level of respectability back to UNLV hoops, that it hasn't really had for the past 20 years.

It's surprising Nevada has more tournament wins than UNLV since 2000, problem is 2007 was the Pack's last appearance.  

UNLV has been making the tourney pretty regularly over the years, but mostly washing out in the first round.  If UNLV can make a run in the tourney, I think it would go a long way in bringing a level of respectability back to UNLV hoops, that it hasn't really had for the past 20 years.

This is the current gripe - UNLV recruiting has been on a national level, but the NCAA results have been pathetic - Some local angst towards Dave Rice over the NCAA/post season results.

Does Hawaii have a rival? 

Might be UNLV just due to the big local Hawaiian population that resides in the LV area - generally when UH plays at UNLV you see a tick up in the crowd..............as is the case when UNR visits Sam Boyd.