Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverRun

Is the Nevada-Boise State rivalry bigger than Nevada-UNLV?

Within the next 2 years UNLV will surpass Boise State for number of times played.

That's such a shame. I hate having UNR and FSU in the opposite division. I get it makes sense, but with so few real rivals it stinks that Boise State's biggest two conference rivals aren't even in the same division.

unlv fb hasn't been relevant in like 30 years

just hard to say someone is rival when the games are so meaningless. if reno has a chance to win the conference or something than maybe the game has some implications to it but otherwise... it's pretty meaningless. 

Still in FB even though UNR has been dominate over the last 10 years...........the series is still not that far from even, like a 6 game difference....................where in BB UNLV holds a 55 to 17 or something series lead & thats with the UNR sweep of UNLV last season included.

UNLV & UNR were never too far apart as football programs, even when UNR was D-1AA, they were equal or better to UNLV most of the time (thats how bad the BWC was as a D-1 FB conference)..............but in BB For years UNLV was a top level program while UNR was buried in small conferences - the gap was much wider in BB than it ever was in FB.

unlv prides itself on its delusions of grandeur

by-and-large we don't even acknowledge reno's basketball team

burton was probably the biggest thorn in unlv's side since jimmer and i bet he got more cheers than boos while playing at the TMC

should say something about the "rivalry" or lack there of 

we could definitely appreciate burton's highlight show. he got a lot of cheers at the T&M, even this last year when they beat us...

we could definitely appreciate burton's highlight show. he got a lot of cheers at the T&M, even this last year when they beat us...

i undoubtedly was a bigger fan of him than even some reno fans

some of the best times in college i had were unlv/reno tailgates tho, i'll say that 

some of the best times in college i had were unlv/reno tailgates tho, i'll say that

Where you no doubt derived much amusement from mocking those that would dare wear a team jersey!

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

That's such a shame. I hate having UNR and FSU in the opposite division. I get it makes sense, but with so few real rivals it stinks that Boise State's biggest two conference rivals aren't even in the same division.

I agree, the only saving grace is the fact that FSU and UNR will have a good chance each of winning that division and we could always meet up for a championship game.

probably not considering that most of reno's student body are from las vegas

i went to unlv and lived in las vegas and i don't really consider the unlv/nevada football game to be all that important

2 irrelevant football teams

when i think of rivalry i think unm or sdsu basketball, maybe that's just me 

Most of Nevada's student body is from California. 

I think it depends on when you're introduced to the rivalry.  I was when I moved from California to attend Nevada in '91, and around the mid nineties seems like a time when the rivalry at it's most heated.

WolfPack2014poster_zpsda00ea12.jpg

Still surprising BSU and Idaho discontinued that rivalry.

I don't get it. Bsu has a president who is a jack@ss and a lot of fans buy into his bs. Would rather play some 1aa team or directional school than selling out the stadium with premium prices.

Posted Image

I don't get it. Bsu has a president who is a jack@ss and a lot of fans buy into his bs. Would rather play some 1aa team or directional school than selling out the stadium with premium prices.

I agree. Kustra needs to put that bullchiz behind and schedule Idaho.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Most of Nevada's student body is from California. 

I think it depends on when you're introduced to the rivalry.  I was when I moved from California to attend Nevada in '91, and around the mid nineties seems like a time when the rivalry at it's most heated.

not according to their enrollment demographics

like 2 to 1 residents to non-residents

I agree. Kustra needs to put that bullchiz behind and schedule Idaho.

Kustra is an Illinois politition with no historical ties to bsu. To come in and stop playing ones rival is a jack@ss thing to do. I think the game should be played at Pullman up there but that's about it.

Posted Image

I could see the UNLV-UNR hoops games becoming more of a rivalry due the conference implications.

Just having UNR & UNLV in the same conference has been better for all the sports.

It would help if both BB programs were good at the same time.  In the early to mid 2000's, when Nevada had a run of tourney appearances, picking up some tourney wins, making to the sweet 16 one season, is when UNLV's BB program seemed to be going through some down years. 

It would be nice to see the hoops rivalry come alive.  Hopefully we'll have competitive close games again this season.

WolfPack2014poster_zpsda00ea12.jpg

It would help if both BB programs were good at the same time.  In the early to mid 2000's, when Nevada had a run of tourney appearances, picking up some tourney wins, making to the sweet 16 one season, is when UNLV's BB program seemed to be going through some down years. 

It would be nice to see the hoops rivalry come alive.  Hopefully we'll have competitive close games again this season.

UNLV has never been really bad............some very average years, but UNR has had more average than good.............just neither program was at their peak at the same time.................should that happen (and no reason is shouldn't) then the BB rivalry might really take off...........2 games & NCAA or ranking implications would nake it huge............probably something the FB game will never reach.