Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

Playoff expansion to 6?

Guest #1Stunner

FIFY. Notice how, almost as soon as he was out the door, a BYU-Fresno H/H was scheduled.

Valid point. BYU seems to be scheduling Fresno a lot more recently.

I think they would have stayed for Boise's deal, but the MWC said, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Times change.  They also wanted Football only

I think they would have stayed for Boise's deal, but the MWC said, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Times change.  They also wanted Football only

Where do you people come up with this stuff?

BYU proposed the same deal to the MWC as Boysee?

BYU might have left its Oly sports in the MWC, going independent in football, but the MWC apparently declined. 

I could see either the just absolute top 8 getting in, or having 5 p5 auto bids with 3 at-larges that a g5 could qualify for. There could also be a provision that if a G5 school is ranked higher than a P5 conference champ they get an auto bid. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Not only that but BYU (regardless of what their fans say on this board) knows their family and place is here in the MWC. The long standing rivalries with Wyoming, CSU, AFA and UNM is what would entice BYU to come back as appose to being regulated with schools on the east coast.

The money is not there, the cost to high and quite frankly the difference in terms of competition is not great as compared to a P5 league. 

If the G5 schools were guaranteed a spot in the CFP, there's no doubt BYU would come back to the MWC IMO. 

I'd come back for that.  As long as the TV stays the same and there's real access to a playoff.  I won't come back for access to an exhibition game that you guys have deemed nifty.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

My understanding is that the current TV contract for the playoff makes expansion more or less impossible until the contract is up. So we're probably locked into a 4-team playoff for at least 10-15 years. At least it's better than the BCS. And hopefully there will be a real playoff when the contract is up for renewal.

Not only that but BYU (regardless of what their fans say on this board) knows their family and place is here in the MWC. The long standing rivalries with Wyoming, CSU, AFA and UNM is what would entice BYU to come back as appose to being regulated with schools on the east coast.

The money is not there, the cost to high and quite frankly the difference in terms of competition is not great as compared to a P5 league. 

If the G5 schools were guaranteed a spot in the CFP, there's no doubt BYU would come back to the MWC IMO.

I would actually agree with you here. IF the highest rated G5 champ gains automatic access to the PLAYOFF then BYU joins a conference IMO. BYU places high priority on PLAYOFF access and much less so on ACCESS BOWL access. If BYU is to join a conference then I would most certainly prefer the MWC as opposed to the AAC. Even better yet (although not at all likely IMO) would be a "best of the rest" type conference with East/West divisions that maximizes both fball and bball quality.

v0icAvfW.jpg

My understanding is that the current TV contract for the playoff makes expansion more or less impossible until the contract is up. So we're probably locked into a 4-team playoff for at least 10-15 years. At least it's better than the BCS. And hopefully there will be a real playoff when the contract is up for renewal.

Contacts can be amended if both parties agree. 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

I like 6 but with a twist. 

1 = Top team Bye.

2 = Other 4 P5 champs play. 

1 = Two top G5 champs play.

-------------------------------------

4 = playoffs

The G5 could sign their own contract and share TV rights to that playoff game. The conference that wins the G5 playoff gets some some of the P5 playoff monies - more if they are in the finals. 

I like 6 but with a twist.

1 = Top team Bye.

2 = Other 4 P5 champs play.

1 = Two top G5 champs play.

-------------------------------------

4 = playoffs

The G5 could sign their own contract and share TV rights to that playoff game. The conference that wins the G5 playoff gets some some of the P5 playoff monies - more if they are in the finals.

So expand by 2 spots and give them both to G5 teams? Yeah, good luck with that proposal.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

So expand by 2 spots and give them both to G5 teams? Yeah, good luck with that proposal.

That adds 2 games. One is between 2 P5 teams and the other between 2 G5 teams. They have 5 conferences, there should be some interest in giving all champions a shot at the national championship. 

That adds 2 games. One is between 2 P5 teams and the other between 2 G5 teams. They have 5 conferences, there should be some interest in giving all champions a shot at the national championship. 

8-team playoff would give each P5 champion a playoff berth, that would still leave 3 at-large spots ... I could see an olive branch extended for any G5 champion ranked high enough to get an at-large bid, but no guaranteed spot (even if that champion is ranked higher than a P5 champion).

It would take no more time to do this than the 6-team model, and the the P5s would get all three at-large bids in most years, so that will make them happy -- as most of the P5 conferences could double (or even triple) their chances at a bigger share of the playoff money.

EDIT: it could use 4 of the 5 New Year's Day Bowls for the 8 team playoff, and leaves the last one for the Access Bowl.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

I doubt we'll ever see 6.  When it expands, it will go to 8.   No one will vote for a system that would allow them to be an undefeated team and conference champ AND have to play an extra game to win it all. Works ok for basketball, but for football, each game has a large toll on players and injuries.  

here is the issue I see with expanding beyond 4.  It downgrades the 4 major bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange) even more, and then it's a trickle down for all the 2nd tier bowls (Holiday Bowl, Gator Bowl, Chick Fil A Bowl, etc).

I know they can incorporate the major bowls into a 6 or 8 team playoff, but I don't see that happening for a long time.

here is the issue I see with expanding beyond 4.  It downgrades the 4 major bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange) even more, and then it's a trickle down for all the 2nd tier bowls (Holiday Bowl, Gator Bowl, Chick Fil A Bowl, etc).

I know they can incorporate the major bowls into a 6 or 8 team playoff, but I don't see that happening for a long time.

or the 1st time an SEC team thinks they were left out and call for an increase.  The New Year's Day bowl games already feature Conference Champion match-ups (e.g. Rose Bowl -- Pac-12 vs B1G) so it should be a "natural" fit for the first round of an 8 team play-off

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

That's fine by me. The bowls have been holding college football hostage for too long.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I was hiking this morning in lieu of going to the gym (yeah, we do that in Colorado) and started thinking about the inevitable playoff expansion. 

Everyone seems to want 8, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them expand to 6, at least initially.  The 1 and 2 would get a bye while the 6 plays at 3, and 5 at 4.  The reason for only expanding by 2 is because it keeps the playoff from getting watered down and provides a better opportunity for each P5 conferences to get a team in which I believe will be the biggest catalyst for having it happen especially when/if a Big10 or Big12 team doesn't get in. 

I think if/when it goes to 8, it will have autobids for the P5 champs, then be open to the highest ranking teams remaining.

I agree.   Six is ideal....eight is too many.  And it should be the top 6 ranked teams regardless of conference etc.   With six you get all the things you mention...plus with six, the 3rd and 4th teams can host the games and that eliminates a lot of travel problems for both the fans and the teams.    Have these two games in mid-Deceember  then you are where the 4 team playoff is today.

So there is benefit for being the top two (bye) and for being 3 and 4 (home field) anf 5 and 6 are glad to just be included.   Plus if you do not finish in the top 6 you have no reason to complain about being overlooked. 

With eight you create huge travel plans because they will likely be at neurtral sights.    The final two teams fans would have to travel to three games on a short notice.